• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dave's Tablet (1 Viewer)

Dragged out of the gutter on Page 3, dusted off and here we are again - my bimonthly offering!

I feel I am making some progress with the tablet, being helped greatly by more and more amazing work now viewable online. This was the style I was aiming for with this one - not there yet. How I wish I could spend an hour looking over Mr Rodriguez' shoulder!

I will probably tinker with the tails - but not today. Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Dave

they look brilliant

intriguing to compare them to the Rodrigues you link to- his blue n azure tits in that link have that very strong drawn outline all the way round which I must confess I find a slight distraction: whereas in yours by comparison the drawn outline is softer or absent which I reckon puts yours ahead..

they look brilliant

intriguing to compare them to the Rodrigues you link to- his blue n azure tits in that link have that very strong drawn outline all the way round which I must confess I find a slight distraction: whereas in yours by comparison the drawn outline is softer or absent which I reckon puts yours ahead..

That's interesting! The outline you mention was specifically one of the tips I picked up from the Rodriguez birds and I incorporated it for the first time - it definitely helps to bring the bird away from the page. I especially like the way he conveys feather detail, and that's a technique I am still working on.

Thanks for the encouraging comments one and all!

Dave

These do look great.

I know how tricky the tablet can be so I can appreciate the skill that goes into creating stuff like this and you are to be applauded for making it do what you want it to and ending up with a high quality illustration.

The key thing for me is that the words 'computer' or 'digital' don't need inserting; it's simply high quality illustration.

Mike

They're birds Jim, but not as we'd paint 'em!

I took a set of pics of Short-tailed Shearwaters underwater yesterday (they being underwater, not I!). Thought some of them looked a bit like cave paintings and therefore might qualify as 'art'!

A few more on my blog...

Dave

Attachments

• Short-tailed Shearwater_Tanjung Dawai_090611_IMG_2118.jpg
    Short-tailed Shearwater_Tanjung Dawai_090611_IMG_2118.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Short-tailed Shearwater_Tanjung Dawai_090611_IMG_2120.jpg
    Short-tailed Shearwater_Tanjung Dawai_090611_IMG_2120.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Short-tailed Shearwater_Tanjung Dawai_090611_IMG_2133.jpg
    Short-tailed Shearwater_Tanjung Dawai_090611_IMG_2133.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 34
Welcome back to your thread Dave!;)

Love underwater bird shots. These have an abstract sense to them, as the Shearwater's form "morphs" out into the waves and rivulets. Nice!

Just back from a few days in Sabah, where the highlight was a pre-dawn Chestnut-capped Thrush on the trail. Too dark for a photo, so had to resort to doing a ... what was it called ... oh yes, a field sketch! Here it is tidied up and tablet-ized!

Attachments

• Chestnut-capped Thrush5.jpg
    Chestnut-capped Thrush5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 47
That's really lovely; atmospheric and characterful. More - please.
The shearwater pics are something else - food for thought here and bags of potential.

That's really lovely; atmospheric and characterful. More - please.
The shearwater pics are something else - food for thought here and bags of potential.

Thanks Tim,

Later in the day I reworked it and made the bird smaller... I think I prefer this version!

Dave

Attachments

• Chestnut-capped Thrush7'.jpg
    Chestnut-capped Thrush7'.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 37
The light and mood here is somewhat reminiscent of Arthur Rackham - I like the diminutive bird in that cavernous and enveloping background - smart!

Any chance of 'lightening up' that Chesnut Capped Thrush pic Dave...?

On my monitor it seems very dark...[maybe my PC's knackered]...? :smoke:

Just been checking your blog out...very nice indeed...[enjoyed the underwater shearwater shots]...:t:

I must get back to Sabah one day....[if only to have another crack at Giant Pitta]....

All the best...!

http://username-beast.blogspot.com/

Any chance of 'lightening up' that Chesnut Capped Thrush pic Dave...?

On my monitor it seems very dark...[maybe my PC's knackered]...? :smoke:

Just been checking your blog out...very nice indeed...[enjoyed the underwater shearwater shots]...:t:

I must get back to Sabah one day....[if only to have another crack at Giant Pitta]....

All the best...!

http://username-beast.blogspot.com/

It could be your monitor, but the pic really is dark - as was the bird when I saw it in the gloom. I wanted to convey that impression in the pic - just the white belly and contrasting dark throat and flank spots stood out. I could barely make out the crown colour at all.

You should certainly come back again - that pitta is waiting for you!

I'll go for something brighter next time!

Thanks

dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back