• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Memory cards for Nikon Coolpix 4500 (1 Viewer)

Barry Boswell

I am inthe process of buying a second hand Coolpix 4500. It will only have a 16 Meg. card in it and I want to buy a larger one - say 512 Meg.

Can anyone offer advice on which are the best cards for the camera? There seem to be a lot of different makes and varieties advertised on Ebay including relatively newSandisk Ultra II cards. Will these work?

Thanks. Barry Boswell.

Barry,I think you will find that the 4500 takes a card max of 128.Read your manual and it will tell you.When I bought our Canon,and sold another camera,I was going to use a spare 250(or equivalent ) in the 4500,but on reading the manual,found I would not be able to do so.I think I am correct .Someone else may hopefully verify this statement.

christineredgate said:
Barry,I think you will find that the 4500 takes a card max of 128.Read your manual and it will tell you.When I bought our Canon,and sold another camera,I was going to use a spare 250(or equivalent ) in the 4500,but on reading the manual,found I would not be able to do so.I think I am correct .Someone else may hopefully verify this statement.

Not correct. I use 512Mb all the time in my 4500.

I use 512 as it is a CD roughly. If you have a DVD burner then go for as large a card as poss esp if you shoot the odd video clip (4Gb).

I'm a firm believer in not carrying all my eggs in one basket and use 5-128 cards just in case!!

Try 7 day shop for memory cards www.7dayshop.com I got 3 128 cards delivered, for just over £30.

If I were you Barry I would buy a couple of 256 mb cards rather than a 512 mb. To buy a 512mb would be a case of putting all your eggs in one basket. Cards can and do go t-ts up and sods law says they will just as you're digiscoping the big one. Personally I have 3 128mb and a 64mb and find this plenty even on a 4 day trip to central Spain I couldn't fill them. As for the high speed cards I don't think that they is any point with this camera as the write speed, of the camera, is not very fast. So a normal speed card would be sufficent. The Integral cards are very good and have a lifetime warranty try www.pricestorm.com.

Regards

Mark

Last edited:
Adey Baker said:
Not sure whether the 4500 is 'FAT32'-compliant so may not be useable with CF cards above 1Gb

It's not FAT32 compliant, if for any reason you format a card with windows XP the default is FAT32 and the camera will not recognize it you need to change the default to FAT16 or FAT better still if you need to format do it in the camera

Simon B :) B :)

Barry Boswell said:
I am inthe process of buying a second hand Coolpix 4500. It will only have a 16 Meg. card in it and I want to buy a larger one - say 512 Meg.

Can anyone offer advice on which are the best cards for the camera? There seem to be a lot of different makes and varieties advertised on Ebay including relatively newSandisk Ultra II cards. Will these work?

Thanks. Barry Boswell.

Hi Barry,

I bought a couple of 256 Viking Cards from 7 day shop last month for my 4500 at £16.99 each. They seem to work ok and a 128 Viking cost me £30 odd quid a year ago on Amazon.

7 day also sell Nikon EN-EL 1 equiv batteries for £14.79 - bargain really !

www.7dayshop.com

A bit slow with delivery but ace prices.

Best wishes,

Linz

I have two 256 mb cards, one from Sandisk and one from Dane-Elec. The Sandisk is working slightly better, with the Dane-elec in the camera it sometimes reports an error on startup. Closing down and starting once more have always worked, so a minor problem, but still an irritation. Both cards have been formatted in the camera several times with no change to the situation.

HTH
Niels

Be careful buying cheap batteries, I had 2 equiv and both went faulty within a couple of months, Sometimes it pays to pay the extra

The Amazon battery I bought for £34 was an "equiv" not a Nikon - they are probably all manufactured at the same factory and labelled accordingly.

So far no problems with either cards or batts from 7 dayshop.

Linz

I know you know there's names for all these mem. cards.

CompactFlash (yours)
IBM/Toshiba MicroDrive (a specialized CompactFlash card)
SmartMedia (admit it, this card is as good as dead)
SecureDigital/MultiMediaCard (Superficially similar to each other, except one has a write-protect tab)
MiniSD (the new kid on the block, so to speak, a half-sized version of the SD card, comes with a SD adapter for use in SD devices)
RS-MMC (for Reduced Size-MultiMediaCard, again, half the size of normal MMC, comes with MMC adapter)
Memory Stick and all non-Duo variants (about the size of a stick of gum. Invented by Sony)
Memory Stick Duo (a half-size version of the MemoryStick, cut in half lengthwise, comes with a MS adapter)
xD Picture Card (Used exclusively in Olympus and FujiFilm cameras, I have a CompactFlash adapter)

The reason for the long thread was to help out anyone who gets confused, especially newbies, and also because I interpreted the title differently before I read the thread... Sorry if I went too far off topic.

You should be able to use any size CompactFlash card (Type II only... hey, I thought I could use any size?) FAT32 was created around the time of Windows98, and '97 I believe was when the first digi-cams came out. So basically, every digi-cam out there right now has a flash card with a FAT32 file system on it.

gthang said:
You should be able to use any size CompactFlash card (Type II only... hey, I thought I could use any size?) FAT32 was created around the time of Windows98, and '97 I believe was when the first digi-cams came out. So basically, every digi-cam out there right now has a flash card with a FAT32 file system on it.

You CANNOT use FAT 32 with most of the Nikon Range including the Coolpix 4500 Most nikon cameras use FAT16

simon said:
You CANNOT use FAT 32 with most of the Nikon Range including the Coolpix 4500 Most nikon cameras use FAT16

Just to clarify a little; FAT16 has a limit of approx. 2GB per partition; 2GB should be the limit to card sizes until cameras can be set to choose which partition to read to or are capable of reading/writing and formatting in Fat32 (which has a 32GB or bigger partition limit).

FAT32 is not compatible with some (maybe all!)Apple Mac computers - FAT16 is!

I think it is always best to format in camera - not computer.

Cheers,

Andy.

PS - Tell me if I have something wrong....

Well, I never even heard of FAT16???!!! I've heard of FAT, FAT32, NTFS, CDUFS (Compact Disk Uniform[or Universal, I'm not sure] File System), but never FAT16...

The Nikon D100, D2H, D2X, D70 and COOLPIX 8800, 8700, 8400 support FAT16 and FAT32 which supports memory cards over 2GB.
These are the only Nikon Cameras that support FAT32

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back