• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF and HT 8X42 (1 Viewer)

I am not going to apologize, it is my opinion. The glass and strap do not fit into the case together without jamming it in. I actually like the cordura case that my FL 8X32 came in, and I bought another Zeiss cordura/canvas case (for the zeiss 8X42 terra) and put my ALPHA NIKON 8X32 EDG in it and it feels great. IF I choose to keep the SF, I will definitively get another case.

I have traveled the world over as a geologist, and have learned quite a bit about people, the ones who can laugh at themselves will live the longest, the passive aggressive ones do not.

By the way, do you work for Zeiss?

A.W.

Andy, if I appear to have disrespected your opinion, then I sincerely apologise. It was not my intention in any way.

I find the case easy to use even with the rainguard permanently attached to the strap. I will agree that there isn't any room to spare in the case.

No I don't work for Zeiss but I am a big fan of their products although they are by no means perfect, and I am a regular critic on here of the eyecups on SF, which although they function OK are just not up to the quality suggested by the sticker price.

My remark at the end about make-up salons was meant to be humorous and not as a kind of sarcasm, and again, if thats how it came across then please accept my apologies.

Lee

No worries Lee, it was just the case...IMO Zeiss makes a great storage case for binos, I am even using one for my EDG, so they do make very good products. I prefer a case that allows the bino strap to be used as the carrier since I always put a strap on a glass,.. saw a customer in Cabelas drop a high end glass on the floor and the outcome was not pretty, so I always have a strap attached. I just find the case too constricted trying to pack the strap in with it, the salon thing was just being humorous, it was just the case.

The optics of the SF is everything that defines premium, and I am very happy with it so far, a trace of CA around the edge, but that is all, and it is intermittent so my face will eventually settle in as it has for all my other binos. The focus is perfect and the wide FOV, well you have already seen more through it than me, so no more repetition.

All is good,

Regards,

A.W.

Other observations, What do owners of the SF or others who have seen it think of the case?....I am a bit perplexed...I don't know what to think, but it looks like a make up kit for a traveling salon,.. it just does..
The case from the used 8X32 EDG I recently purchased looks like a purse from the 80s in the disco era, I mean it would fit right in ...

I prefer a case that allows the bino strap to be used as the carrier since I always put a strap on a glass,..

I don't understand why manufacturers get cases so wrong so often, and you hit on the right answer there: simple is best. Getting stuck with an oversized "case" you can also try to stuff the strap (and maybe lunch) into is nuts. Just let the user decide what kind of bag (if any) to carry -- you don't have to please everyone, they can do that themselves. Nearly all binos today are armored, so the standard case should just be a wrap that still carries by the bino strap, better yet if it can stuff in your pocket like the leather pouch on older Leicas.

(By the way, maybe Zeiss just doesn't include warranty registration cards anymore. In the USA they were never legally required to make a claim anyway, just proof of purchase.)

When I do carry a bino that is still in its case (which is not many times per year) I am often carrying other stuff. For example I might be carrying other luggage and binos from our car to a hotel we are using to break our journey, or carrying the same stuff to our hired cottage at our holiday destination. When doing this I like to put the strap on my shoulder then across my body, bandolier-style, so the case can't slip off my shoulder while my hands are full carrying other stuff.

The length of neck-strap I use for my binos is much shorter than the shoulder strap I need to carry the case bandolier-style, so I appreciate an additional strap that attaches to the case.

Lee

I also like to have enough room to put the attached strap in the case and then just sling the case over my shoulder. The option of being to choose from three different cases and straps on the new Swarovski 8x30 CL gives everybody a choice of what type of case they want. They are all big enough to hold the strap also. From left to right are the Wild Nature, Northern Lights and the Urban Jungle.

Attachments

• 5418299.P2.png
    5418299.P2.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 5418300.P2.png
    5418300.P2.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 5418301.P2.png
    5418301.P2.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 37
Andy
I agree the case is a pain in the a$$ but carefully deciphering Trubs directions I can now get the bins and strap in the case and fully zipped up in less than five minutes but God help you if you want to use a harness. I think that Trubs is brighter than us mere mortals which makes it somewhat hard for him to understand our minor perplexities.
Steve

I also like to have enough room to put the attached strap in the case and then just sling the case over my shoulder. The option of being to choose from three different cases and straps on the new Swarovski 8x30 CL gives everybody a choice of what type of case they want. They are all big enough to hold the strap also. From left to right are the Wild Nature, Northern Lights and the Urban Jungle.

The new CL bag selection is a step in the right direction, especially the urban jungle bag where with one hand u can unclip the bag and pull out the binos. However, the neck strap looks average... If the underneath is not neoprene or some other smoother material, the urban jungle nylon webing/strap will cut into the neck during a long period, especially in humid conditions I reckon.

Andy
I agree the case is a pain in the a$$ but carefully deciphering Trubs directions I can now get the bins and strap in the case and fully zipped up in less than five minutes but God help you if you want to use a harness. I think that Trubs is brighter than us mere mortals which makes it somewhat hard for him to understand our minor perplexities.
Steve

LOL, a nice poke in the ribs you gave me there Steve. You are right about a harness except I think you would need more than divine intervention to get one of those in. And it is was big enough to take a harness, I would probably be posting that the case was too big........

Trubs

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back