• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (2 Viewers)

Holy crap, has it been over a month...?? Well doesn't time fly when you're having fun - everyone having a good new year so far...?! Jus finished another plate....this one was alot more fun! And there was even lots of reference material available...how novel!! ;)

View attachment 240012
Haha but at least you have something wonderful to show for that month....which is more than I can say ;-)
Lovely, it seems such a shame that it will fieldguide size...
in the cold weather here we lost sight of the resident kingfisher for several weeks.

That's a shame Chrissy - hopefully he moved nearer the coast maybe...? Noticed a small influx down here at the coastal sites

As i have just happened upon some 'old stuff' of mine...and being as we all love pitta's....here are some of my early messing about images...

ps...not really suitable for your 'plates' Ads...;)

pps..please forgive the computer enhanced 'experiment' image...[at the moment i am enjoying 'playing about'....just for fun]...B :)

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 75
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 72
Keep playing User...great stuff! What I'd give to have the middle pic drawn from a real-life memory....still need Giant....now you're gonna tell me this how you saw them....

Keep playing User...great stuff! What I'd give to have the middle pic drawn from a real-life memory....still need Giant....now you're gonna tell me this how you saw them....

Am i f***...[chuckle]..!!

Giant Pitta has eluded me so far...and regards my 'made-up' image...well...if 'that' were to happen you wouldn't know what bird to look at...:eek!:
Have been to three locations where i could have seen the elusive jolly Giant...best chances i had were at Danum Valley...but no show...[still..my lack of the big pitta is a good a motivation as any to return one day]....

ps...was never happy with 'that' image'...[the portrayal of the birds is a bit naff...still like the background tho]....

Like the background too - the Gurney's sits in well but the Giant needs to blend in more, maybe with a bit of shadow falling across as at the moment it's like...Hey! HERE I AM!! Which is, as we both know, definitely not how the bloody things are...!! Also if I saw the same scene as portrayed in pic 3...well, I'd be selling them pills back home!! ;)

Superb work User - I'm with Ads here, too; I think just a tinker with the biglad and you've got one really top class piece of art (fantasy art, maybe ;) ) - the portrait shows a real deftness of touch. Surely more to come - yes?!

Like the background too - the Gurney's sits in well but the Giant needs to blend in more, maybe with a bit of shadow falling across as at the moment it's like...Hey! HERE I AM!! Which is, as we both know, definitely not how the bloody things are...!! Also if I saw the same scene as portrayed in pic 3...well, I'd be selling them pills back home!! ;)

I agree Ads about 'shadows'.....and just to go too far the other way re shadow...here's an altered image of a certain pitta species that took me three days of whistling to see at Poring Hot Springs! Tho i'm sure i've gone waaaay over the top playing with 'the gloom'...it does bring back memories for me how this bird just glowed in the darkness...

ps...Tim...i am a bit reluctant to post too many of my images here as i don't consider myself a wildlife artist in the purist form...[some stuff is....eerr...maybe a bit surreal]...i am a 'dabbler' in the art world...;)

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 86
ps...Tim...i am a bit reluctant to post too many of my images here as i don't consider myself a wildlife artist in the purist form...[some stuff is....eerr...maybe a bit surreal]...i am a 'dabbler' in the art world...;)

go on- start yourself a thread- we have fostered an

"if you have done it, post it"

spirit on here for some time now

we are not sticklers for punctuation either, so that shouldn't be problem

go on- start yourself a thread- we have fostered an

"if you have done it, post it"

spirit on here for some time now

we are not sticklers for punctuation either, so that shouldn't be problem

I suppose i could start an arty 'fun' type thread Ed....tho it won't be very conventional and it might seem a bit out of place amongst all you 'real' artists..!
At present, when the mood takes me, i like to create compositions using pieces of wood/stone/cut-outs etc..experimenting with textures and playing with photographic effects. I suppose..thinking about it...it might encourage others to play about and see what they can come up with regards pleasing images...[would that be a good or bad thing i wonder]..?

ps...i attach one such image....:eek!:

pps...Ads...i promise i won't interrupt your thread anymore....;)

Attachments

• 011 (2).jpg
    011 (2).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 88
Hey User, no worries...! That last pic is seriously freaky! Experimented much have we...;):-O The BB Pitta was spot on if you ask me - typical pittas where you can hear them rustling the leaf litter, can see a dark little shape on the forest floor and then BLAM! as they jump into a filtering ray of sunlight and it's technicolour gone mad...! Never did see that particular species at Boring Hot Springs in 2 days of searching in torrential rain.....:C

This last pitta piece is very seriously gorgeous, User - just infused with a haunting beauty. Absolutely wonderful.

The experimental piece is to be applauded - it has some intriguing textures and subliminal shapes in there - a very complex image. Please keep posting stuff - there's a 'Joint Thread' if you feel Ads' thread isn't appropriate for your stuff or, do as Ed suggests, and start a new one.

And you're right, there are some top artists on the Forum, and mixing with them has been the most entertaining and encouraging period of my professional career. Your addition to the clan is very welcome!

Many thanks for all the kind words of encouragement...appreciated...:t:

To tell you the truth...i haven't been motivated to return to my artistic roots for quite some time...but now, for some reason, i seem to be rekindling old flames and feel the urge to create new 'images'. [Maybe it has something to do with the alignment of planets or current phase of the moon]...B :)

Tim....'Intriguing textures and subliminal shapes'....yep....i love such 'things'...[dreamscapes might be an apt description of some of the stuff i have in mind to produce]....will post more when i'm happy with 'end products'...

Ads....glad you 'liked'?;) that last freaky pic i posted....a tad bizarre but it seemed 'right' somehow..[at least it seemed 'right' within the confines of my addled brain]...! [Guess the 'way i write' is leaking into my visual images...so expect any posted pics of mine to be similarly unintelligible]....;)

ps....re the BBpitta....three days in soaking sweat and rain...me under an umbrella with only cigarettes to aid my concentration...whistling myself stupid imitating pitta calls. Only on the last morning at Poring did i 'hook' a BBpitta...and it took forever to reel it in....but flip the bed...when it hopped out into view....well...even i was at a loss for words....but no doubt i said f*** once or twice...[probably more than once or twice]...chuckle...!

Thought I'd cheat again and post an oldie to make me look like I'm doing more than painting kingfishers! Just found this pic on an old disc I forgot I had......doh! The original's still lurking around somewhere....never was really happy with it...wanna chuck some shadows across it I think.....

Red-breasted Nuthatches.jpg

Seeing Russ' thread I'm gonna have to dig around and find my Spoonie Sand sketches...! ;)

Love this nuthatch piece Ads - I can almost hear the claws sratching against the bark. Excellent kingfisher plate - you're on the run-in now, well done.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back