• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excellent Service from Leica so far? (1 Viewer)

wheatear

The rough focus ring on my Leica APO 62 (7 months old and hardly used)failed and just spins around when used. This is the second problem I have had with Leica scopes having lost coatings on my 77 Televid earlier in the year and receiving pretty poor service being without a scope for 3 months. I conntacted Leica UK and they have arranged for the scope to be picked up by UPS today and sent to Germany for repair. I await to see how quick it is returned but they have offered me a loan of a 65 if the scope is not fixed soon as |I am off to Bolivia in the New Year and use the 62 as a travel scope. It is of course a concern that quality equipment should fail like this but Leica's response has been pretty impressive so far! I will post the (hopefully satisfactory)outcome when I get one

Excellent service from Leica so far

Update: 29th November got email from Leica in Germany with invoice showing work needed cost zero so it should be on its way back to me soon I hope so.
I would be interested to know why the part failed poor design or poor manufacture? But they did not specify other than: adjust focussing ring; replace housing; adjust all parts. Tracking repair info supplied. Happy so far I suppose but it should'nt happen in such a short time with so little use!

The rough focus ring on my Leica APO 62 (7 months old and hardly used)failed and just spins around when used. This is the second problem I have had with Leica scopes having lost coatings on my 77 Televid earlier in the year and receiving pretty poor service being without a scope for 3 months. I conntacted Leica UK and they have arranged for the scope to be picked up by UPS today and sent to Germany for repair. I await to see how quick it is returned but they have offered me a loan of a 65 if the scope is not fixed soon as |I am off to Bolivia in the New Year and use the 62 as a travel scope. It is of course a concern that quality equipment should fail like this but Leica's response has been pretty impressive so far! I will post the (hopefully satisfactory)outcome when I get one

Glad you had great service although that might be due in no small part that your optics are under warrenty still.

I just sent my 10 year old scope off for a service and also to fix the coating on the lens, was less than impressed when I got the scope back with no work done on the instument, with a note saying "Economically impractical" to them or myself wasn't made clear!

Will go with Swarovski the next time I buy optics I think as I hear they have a superb after sales care team:t:

re Leica scope coating

This is a very common occurence with recent Leica scopes a mate of mine has sent his back 3 times now, with a couple of other mates having the same problem.
something to think about before buying Leica nowadays

This is a very common occurence with recent Leica scopes a mate of mine has sent his back 3 times now, with a couple of other mates having the same problem.
something to think about before buying Leica nowadays

recent leica scopes are the 65 and 82 models, not the 62 and 77 scopes , i think the problem will be solved by now on the "recent scopes " and the 65 and 82 have a neutral lens before the coated one build in to protect.

Last edited:
recent leica scopes are the 65 and 82 models, not the 62 and 77 scopes , i think the problem will be solved by now on the "recent scopes " and the 65 and 82 have a neutral lens before the coated one build in to protect.

I hope so given the price on the new scopes.

That said I am still not impressed by their after sales care.

I just sent my 10 year old scope off for a service and also to fix the coating on the lens, was less than impressed when I got the scope back with no work done on the instument, with a note saying "Economically impractical" to them or myself wasn't made clear!

Will go with Swarovski the next time I buy optics I think as I hear they have a superb after sales care team:t:

I have had both problems on my APO 77 scope; the focussing failed while I was in South Africa in 1999 and a year or so later the coating started to peel off the objective lens. Leica fixed both problems under warranty but they were pretty slow about it and offered no sort of apology - they seemed to think it was quite normal for their scopes to fall apart.

Ten years later the coating is again starting to fail.

I have also had problems with the zoom lens - I was turning the zoom and managed to unscrew the whole top half - luckily it screwed back together again.

I don't think I would buy Leica again, although suspect I can't afford a new scope at today's prices!

Rich M

The 65 and the 82 are CURRENT models,the 62 and 77 are RECENT.....I have a 15 year old ED japanese,with exposed coatings(non protected) and they are perfect,as they are most older,recent or current models of quality scopes

Up date on Leica Repair

Just checked tracking repair thought it would be on its way back to me by now but its not still in "repair". Not good I'm off to Bolivia in Feb and need it for then am on a promise of a loan of a scope but would prefer my own to go! Getting unhappy again with Leica!

Update: 29th November got email from Leica in Germany with invoice showing work needed cost zero so it should be on its way back to me soon I hope so.
I would be interested to know why the part failed poor design or poor manufacture? But they did not specify other than: adjust focussing ring; replace housing; adjust all parts. Tracking repair info supplied. Happy so far I suppose but it should'nt happen in such a short time with so little use!

Good after sales customer care from Leica?

Just checked tracking repair thought it would be on its way back to me by now but its not still in "repair". Not good I'm off to Bolivia in Feb and need it for then am on a promise of a loan of a scope but would prefer my own to go! Getting unhappy again with Leica!

Same story from Leica again had the scope since November "awaiting spares still" this from service in Germany. I thought they made them there why are they awaiting spares? This is not good enough. How do they expect us to survive without a scope for so long I need mine every day! They have offered to lend me a scope but not sure what this entails as yet. Not happy now especially after forking out £1000+ for a product that fails within a couple of months. I now am beginning to deeply regret buying Leica.

If one of the focus wheels was spinning but the 'scope still focussed OK using the other wheel then this should have, in 95% of cases, been a simple fix taking 5 miniutes to tighten a grub screw with an alan key.

After sales care from Leica

The story so far! Very helpful Leica in UK sent me on loan anew 65 televid which is very helpful ;)could have had it earler but did not realise the repair of my 62 would take this long. Shit happens! so am happy with the after sales!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back