• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x32FL Vs Leica Trinovid 8x32BN ramblings (1 Viewer)

Hi Dude

I don't love the feel of porros in my hand so there goes the SE. The Nvid has a great view but its on the narrow side and I find I have to slide my hand to a position that enables my 1st finger to fall on the focus wheel but makes it impossible to grip the tube with all the other fingers at which point the handling advantage of an open bridge is gone.

SF 8x has super-wide view which is great with the big sky-scapes, sea-scapes and coasts of Scotlands islands. It makes picking up re-surfacing birds, otters and seals and cetaceans so much easier, and a wide fov like this just gives you a lot for your money every time you lift them to your eyes.

I watch otter and seal behaviour for extended periods eg anything up to an hour or so and the SF's balance and grip and hand position make this really comfortable.

Are the SFs a bit on the long side? Yes they are but the only time this ever, ever, occurs to me is when looking at specifications or looking at photos of SF side by side with some other models. It has never entered my head when out using them in the field, even when stuffing them inside my jacket so I can lay down and photo some tiny flower from ground level. Not once have I thought 'this is awkward because these SFs are so big'. For me the size disadvantage is a theoretical one that has never had an impact out on the islands.

I have used them for hours in the Hebrides as late in the year as November so the sun was low in the sky all day and have never noticed flare/glare. But Dude my eyes aren't your eyes.

Lee

Last edited:
I'm at the moment interested in three bins: The Noctivid 8x32, the "new" Trinovid 7x35 and the Swarovski CL 8x30. I'm after a small, lightweight pair at the moment for use on long hikes in difficult terrain, and these three seem to fit the bill nicely, assuming the Noctivid isn't to large and or heavy.

The trouble is the two Leicas haven't been released yet, and after Leica managed to delay the release of the Trinovid again and again, I may end up going for CL.

Hermann

Those three are on my short list (of three) as well, though the Noctivids are a distant 3rd because of their very high price. I'm only jonesing (American slang) for new bins right now because my 8x32 BNs are away at Leica currently for repair. It would take one helluva bin for me to buy, and have, in addition to my beloved Trinovids. They would have to bring something significant to the party, so to speak.

Swaro EL, 8.5 power? hmm not sold on it.

What would you go for? NV, SF, SE? Why?
Cheers
Hi Dude, nor was I for years, but I have to say its actually genius on Swaro`s part and I`m surprised more have`nt followed their lead, for me it negates the need for any other format.

The SE is a legend with good reason, still the benchmark all others must be judged by imho.

The NV drops a few points from me with a little too much C/A at this level, the fov should be wider at this the very top end, and (and this is a very personal observation) the contrast is a bit too much.

The black SF is almost without fault, even the greenish hue seems corrected to me, maybe could feel a little more premium in the materials used.

Don`t discount the SV on the power, you`v really got to spend some time with one.

Hermann, post 120,
The Noctivid 8x32 may never come, the new 7x35B Trinovid is postponed until somewhere later in 2018, the only binocular on your wish list that is directly available is the new CL Companion. I finished the test report of the 8x30 and 10x30 CL's and I have offered it for publication on the WEB--site of House of Outdoor, but I do not know when the WEB-master has time to install it, so the only thing I can do is to wish you Frohe Weinachten und ein Glückliches neues Jahr.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hermann, post 120,
The Noctivid 8x32 may never come, the new 7x35B Trinovid is postponed until somewhere later in 2018, the only binocular on your wish list that is directly available is the new CL Companion. I finished the test report of the 8x30 and 10x30 CL's and I have offered it for publication on the WEB--site of House of Outdoor, but I do not know when the WEB-master has time to install it, so the only thing I can do is to wish you Frohe Weinachten und ein Glückliches neues Jahr.
Gijs van Ginkel

Won't tell Ida, you named her master, but the mistress will make it happen later this day;).

Jan

PS

The cookies/banketstaven were great:eat:

Gijs

Jan keeps his shop full of mistresses :eek!:, which is why Anne is often seen with several fearsome dogs. :-O

Lee

Hi Dude. If you can get an SE, grab it. Not just because it's a fraction of the price of the others...it's an awesome bino in its own right. Congrats on turning a mere 41. (Did they give the Dude a Beeper?)

Sorry Gents, sorry indeed! Got all mixed up and discombobulated with the letters.8-P

I meant the Swaro EL not SE, no Idea why I said SE, I will have to see what's going on and test if dementia may be setting in!!?

Don't like Porro's either. Recently had a pair a Steiner wildlife pro cf 8x30 trying to get the whole 3D thing. Didn't see it and didn't much like the view at all. Sold em on.

I'm at the moment interested in three bins: The Noctivid 8x32, the "new" Trinovid 7x35 and the Swarovski CL 8x30. I'm after a small, lightweight pair at the moment for use on long hikes in difficult terrain, and these three seem to fit the bill nicely, assuming the Noctivid isn't to large and or heavy.

The trouble is the two Leicas haven't been released yet, and after Leica managed to delay the release of the Trinovid again and again, I may end up going for CL.

Hermann
Interesting thoughts Herman.

Do you think then that the Swaro CL 8x30 is the best optically that is currently available from Germany / Austria? In this mid size category.

I have been looking at the mid sized Swaros too with interest although not in depth comparisons yet. Why do you like CL particularly?

I had a pair of Meopta Meostar B1 7x42 for a while, very bright and wide but sold them as the image was clearly very yellow (warm) and not natural at all.

All the best

Last edited:
Hi Dude

I don't love the feel of porros in my hand so there goes the SE. The Nvid has a great view but its on the narrow side and I find I have to slide my hand to a position that enables my 1st finger to fall on the focus wheel but makes it impossible to grip the tube with all the other fingers at which point the handling advantage of an open bridge is gone.

SF 8x has super-wide view which is great with the big sky-scapes, sea-scapes and coasts of Scotlands islands. It makes picking up re-surfacing birds, otters and seals and cetaceans so much easier, and a wide fov like this just gives you a lot for your money every time you lift them to your eyes.

I watch otter and seal behaviour for extended periods eg anything up to an hour or so and the SF's balance and grip and hand position make this really comfortable.

Are the SFs a bit on the long side? Yes they are but the only time this ever, ever, occurs to me is when looking at specifications or looking at photos of SF side by side with some other models. It has never entered my head when out using them in the field, even when stuffing them inside my jacket so I can lay down and photo some tiny flower from ground level. Not once have I thought 'this is awkward because these SFs are so big'. For me the size disadvantage is a theoretical one that has never had an impact out on the islands.

I have used them for hours in the Hebrides as late in the year as November so the sun was low in the sky all day and have never noticed flare/glare. But Dude my eyes aren't your eyes.

Lee

Apologies Lee I meant EL SV fieldpro, the SE was a slip of the mind and I have now edited the post.

You are very compelling regards the new Victory SF and my head says these are the ones to go for. However I have been unlucky so far with Zeiss.

The 32 Victory flare issue you already know about. But last November I bought a 'new' pair of Conquest HD 8x32, I won't mention the retailer who gave a full refund. Upon opening the box the binocular had been clearly used and if you put slight pressure on the barrels a 3-4mm gap opened up between the rubber and the barrel. I was genuinely shocked and outraged!! I didn't even look through them such was my disgust. I'm not saying this was a typical example from Zeiss but this put me off Zeiss yet again! There have been people on this forum who have had the same experience I understand.

Regards usage of the new bin, I have moved to the East of Scotland now (1/4 the rainfall and less of the dreaded Midge) and am in Kirriemuir Angus. I have Kinnordy etc within walking distance ( Wild beaver living there and in much of the Tay drainage, not officially recognised, they say they are only over in Knapdale Argyll this is not true. I have seen them in Knapdale but here also) I'm 10 mins drive from the Cairngorms national Park so I'm inland now as opposed to Inverkip in the West that was on the coast and I won't be doing as much sea watching. I was lucky enough in my first few months here to get a pair of Marsh Harrier and it's given me the birding bug again! Hawfinch at Scone and Bearded Tit on the Tay Marshes next!!

Thanks for the advice I will take on board your positive experience with the SF and mull it over.

Best regards

Last edited:

Thanks a lot, Gijs. Interesting review. The CL looks very good indeed.

Still, I may wait some more to see what happens with the Leicas. The next trip where I want a light, robust pair is due in late June next year, and until then it may well be clear if the Leica people get their act together this time. And I can always take my old 8x32 BA - it's not really up to date anymore, but it's still a nice, robust and reasonably light pair.

Hermann

Hi Dude, nor was I for years, but I have to say its actually genius on Swaro`s part and I`m surprised more have`nt followed their lead, for me it negates the need for any other format.

The SE is a legend with good reason, still the benchmark all others must be judged by imho.

The NV drops a few points from me with a little too much C/A at this level, the fov should be wider at this the very top end, and (and this is a very personal observation) the contrast is a bit too much.

The black SF is almost without fault, even the greenish hue seems corrected to me, maybe could feel a little more premium in the materials used.

Don`t discount the SV on the power, you`v really got to spend some time with one.

Thanks for that that is very good information.

I guess I really need to go to a bricks and mortar store and try them out! Problem is I'm away out in the country.

Sorry about the SE reference it was a mistake and I have edited the post I meant EL SV.

I think I will have to arrange to try out the NV, EL SV, and SF side by side to see what suits. Certainly the El looks the more appealing of the 3 from a styling design perspective. I feel I don't need the 'fieldpro' strap etc, are the previous ones with the fixed lugs optically identical?

Thanks and regards

Interesting thoughts Herman.

Do you think then that the Swaro CL 8x30 is the best optically that is currently available from Germany / Austria? In this mid size category.

I have been looking at the mid sized Swaros too with interest although not in depth comparisons yet. Why do you like CL particularly?

Three reasons, actually:

1. The CL is "real", it's available right now. The two Leicas are still vaporware, and nobody knows when they'll arrive. Or, indeed, if they arrive, ever. Leica, for instance, doesn't answer any questions as to when the Trinovids will become available. That's bad style, at the very least.

2. The CL is the lightest of the lot, with a weight below 500 gr. That's something I really want, for trips in, say, the mountain regions in Norway or in the Alps. That's why the big boys (42mm binoculars or larger) are right out. BTW, the lightest 42mm binoculars with excellent optics are the Habicht porros (7x42, 10x40).

3. Despite some niggles with the focusers the Swarovskis have been among the most reliable premium binoculars for the past 10 years or so. Reliability is something I find very important, more important than many other features.

Hermann

There is also plenty of good Beaver action on display in the local drinking establishments hereabouts, but her indoors won't tolerate my viewing of that type of beaver!! In any season or lighting conditions!

I feel I don't need the 'fieldpro' strap etc, are the previous ones with the fixed lugs optically identical?

Thanks and regards

According to Swarovski they are, but I`m assuming they mean in the prisms and elements used, personally I feel they may have altered the coatings a bit, the FP has a very slightly warmer hue to me.

There`s more to the FP than just the strap attachments, the focus is much improved, also the new armour is simply in another league to any current competitor, IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back