• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

redshank or ruff, southern England (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
i thought the attached were all redshank, but i thought maybe they could be ruff instead, since the latter are so variable in aspect
is the red legs cum red bill with black tip diagnostic for redshank, with the ruff's bill being all black ?

all pictures taken a few days ago, the first three pictures near Hengistbury Head, the last one near Keyhaven, New Forest

Attachments

• Img_7021.jpg
    Img_7021.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Img_7029.jpg
    Img_7029.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Img_7056.jpg
    Img_7056.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Img_7147.jpg
    Img_7147.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 73
Hi M. You're spot on when you say Ruff can be incredibly variable. These are all Common Redshank. The red legs being a good fearure, again, as you mentioned.

Cymru am byth.

Rich

thanks

so does that mean a ruff's legs are not red during the winter, and never as red as a redshank's in summer ?

The legs are not the way to distinguish ruff from redshank. Ruff has an obviously scalloped pattern on the back, as well as having a rather hump backed appearance with a relatively small head. It never has a red base to the bill.

David

For me, it's Tringa totanus (Redshank / Chevalier gambette).
It's not Tringa erythropus (Spotted redshank / Chevalier arlequin), besause the base of the bill is orange both on lower AND upper part.

The legs are not the way to distinguish ruff from redshank. Ruff has an obviously scalloped pattern on the back, as well as having a rather hump backed appearance with a relatively small head. It never has a red base to the bill.

David

thanks - always nice to have some readily accessible identifiable characters
for me the presence of a red base to the bill will do, patterns on the back can sometimes be less obvious

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back