• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone here use pastels? (1 Viewer)

A Greater Blue-eared Starling from Treetops in Kenya:

1179521303_a701c3e214.jpg

A Greater Blue-eared Starling from Treetops in Kenya:

1179521303_a701c3e214.jpg

Wow ..this is a very accomplished work

Particularly like how it stands out from the dark paper, probably would have lost much of it's impact if you had chosen to paint it within a naturalistic setting.

Matt

Thanks, Yes that's why I chose the black card, they are really stunning metallic birds and I wanted to use the bright pastels to accentuate this quality.

Yip, I'm a great fan of using black backgrounds to emphasize colour, this one works particularly well, and beautifully drawn.

this thread is still inspiring me to get some pastels, the gloss on the starling is superb, I'm particularly fond of the cheetah cubs, they have a certain african folkloric feel to them.

Hi finally got a chance to sit down and upload some more work. So here goes, most done from photos (with the exception of the last 3) as where possible I have tried to improve on the photo:

Whitethroat

1402295696_869fcb198e.jpg

Flamingos - Lake Naivasha Kenya

1402290738_cda4cdf483.jpg

Hadada Ibis Nairobi

1401396533_f1c8937bba.jpg

Peregrine Tate Modern London

1402309678_7069456920.jpg

African Spoonbills - Lake Naivasha Kenya

1402318706_a3333cfb9e.jpg

Little Owl - Weeting Heath

1401436867_4d3afaf1e5.jpg

Black Tailed Godwit- Cley

1402351364_7bd39d440d.jpg

Treecreeper- Painted from life at Hellesdon Meadow

1402372054_e4161fb550.jpg

A couple more sketches from life at Cley

1402368586_82fa0a6122.jpg

1402360314_acd7fba72e.jpg

Hi Kittykat

You have been buzy wuzy here

Love your Spoonbills and your Little Owl pictures. Everything you have done is so well presented here. Well done to you!!

How are getting along with the pastels. They can be messy, but worthy of a good result at the end of the day

Look forward to seeing more too!! :t:

Regards
Kathy

Thank you all. I'm working on a bigger pic of three godwits in pastels at the moment. I probably ought to look into some spray fixative when I get a chance though!

Thank you all. I'm working on a bigger pic of three godwits in pastels at the moment. I probably ought to look into some spray fixative when I get a chance though!

yes, get some fixative, would be a shame for these pics to be wiped away, I adore your spoonbills, the whole thing just comes together so well.

this is lovely, very elegant and the colours are so vibrant, you've got the birds' expressions perfectly.

Beautiful design too - pastels are hellishly difficult to work with - this is a consummate lesson in how to do so. Excellent stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back