• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild boar deterrent (1 Viewer)

Ondara

We have a bit of land outside the village here that we have been replanting with some walnut tress, hazel etc as well as preparing a small pond. On checking on them this morning I found all the small trees uprooted and the larger ones with large holes dug around the base.

There were plenty of boars prints in the soft ground and there is an obvious path where they have entered overnight.

I'm happy to have wild boars around but want to keep them off the young trees so does anyone have any suggestions as to viable deterrents either on the path or near the trees?

Cheers
Andy

We have a bit of land outside the village here that we have been replanting with some walnut tress, hazel etc as well as preparing a small pond. On checking on them this morning I found all the small trees uprooted and the larger ones with large holes dug around the base.

There were plenty of boars prints in the soft ground and there is an obvious path where they have entered overnight.

I'm happy to have wild boars around but want to keep them off the young trees so does anyone have any suggestions as to viable deterrents either on the path or near the trees?

Cheers
Andy

You can fence them out but it requires heavy-duty four inch square welded mesh (chain link is useless) dug in to a depth of about a foot. That works for gardens in Kent. That should last long enough to give your trees a start in life.

Working for effective conservation of wolves across Spain will also help to make your boars more nervous and less likely to hang about on street corners vandalising stuff.

John

Thanks John. Unfortunately fencing is not an option as it's just over a hectare of land and not worth the investment. Looking on the web I found suggestions such as mountain lion urine and coconut leaves. As we don't get too many mountain lions in these parts or coconut palms then I was hoping for something a bit more practical.

I agree entirely regarding the wolves in Spain but in this part of the country there's just not the habitat.

Cheers
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back