• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audio Recording/listening of birds (1 Viewer)

provo

Spoonbill
I wasn't sure which are of the forum to post my question.

I am interested in recording/listening to bird sounds using a shotgun microphone
and headphones so far all of the blogs I've come across talk about very expensive and what seems like legacy hardware to achieve the results.

$799 for a CF recorder seems crazy to me heck some of the articles mentioned
Sony HI-MD Recorder which I used to have one except it was over 10years ago.

So are there any recommendations for a solid affordable solution I know the microphone will be expensive so I am ok with that but the recorder I was thinking maybe there's a SD solution? Portable with clear level readouts

I use a inexpensive Panasonic Voice Recorder with built-in flash memory as it is over eight years old and didn't have removable flash cards at the time.

I then picked up a computer microphone from a "clearance rack" at the local electronics store and the total investment was under $50. The microphone has a long cord 60" and a flexible mounting neck 12" long.

If you use the voice recorder with the built-in mic it picks up all the sounds of your finger movements on the device and the external mic eliminates all of that unwanted noise. I use "Audacity" on my Fedora Linux computer to edit the files.

phil

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back