• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Table top tripod for Leica Apo 77 (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
Hi everyone,
I really would like to find a tripod that is small enough but strong enough to support my Leica scope on a worktop,to enable me to view birds from the kitchen window.
It needs to be around 12 inches in height.
Any ideas,all replies appreciated.

Is the worktop stable enough to use a largish scope?

Would a table tripod have enough footprint to stop the scope falling over?

Most older tabletop tripods for astro scopes are pretty useless, but there may be better designs nowadays.

I use scopes through closed double gazing and through good bits of glass 60x is fine. Even 120x terrestrially sometimes with the Mirador 30x-120x 70mm Maksutov through the best parts of the window.
But I use a full size tripod.

Maybe a full size tripod at seated height would be better.

Last edited:
The tripod linked in post 3 looks stronger and better than the one linked in post 4. Especially when splayed out to the mid position.

The one in post 4 has a small QRP, which may be not very secure. Also cheaper construction.
If this is used it might be best to tie it down to a hook on the worktop, or hang a weight from the bottom of the centre column, or attach it to a heavier weight on the worktop.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back