• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

injured blackbird (1 Viewer)

wtmvm

I would like some advice regarding a blackbird that has been visiting my garden of late. He seems to have an injured jaw, I think it may be broken or dislocated as he can`t seem to close it properly, when viewed from the front the lower beak is angled compared to the upper. He still seems able to feed however and I have watched him drinking. I wondered what food I could put out to make life a little easier for him. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

wtmvm...

The blakcbird's beak could be deformed:
http://www.bto.org/node/2676
If it's managing to eat&drink there shouldn't be much problem. But if you want to help the bird then food mixes for ground feeding birds is available. Also bird bath might be good as if the beak is deformed/broken the bird wouldn't be able to preen very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back