• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa eyepieces! (1 Viewer)

stereotruckdriver

I recently acquired a Kowa 663 for my wife.

I have to say I'm really impressed with the scope and just as impressed with their ep's.

Here are the 20x, 30x and Zoom.

Each one is very well corrected with excellent edges.

Bryce...

Attachments

• IMG_20140826_172133.jpg
    IMG_20140826_172133.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 126
Hi Bryce,

Do you have a favourite? I think I prefer the 20x, just marginally, over the 30x. I've now got the 45x, so quite like using that with the 20x as a combo. If I was just taking one though (or for seawatching) I think I'd go with the 30x… Very underrated scope though.

Grondo
Could you leave me that Eyepiece in your will? I am starting to think thats the only way I will find one.
Just kidding ( well mostly kidding)
Steve

Hi Bryce,

Do you have a favourite? I think I prefer the 20x, just marginally, over the 30x. I've now got the 45x, so quite like using that with the 20x as a combo. If I was just taking one though (or for seawatching) I think I'd go with the 30x… Very underrated scope though.

Grando, out of the three it would be 30x followed closely by the 20x.

Actually this is the first mid sized scope other than my Swarovski 65 HD that I have been able to use at 60x. And that includes two 60mm Nikon's. While the Nikon was still sharp it dimmed considerably at 60x.

The Kowa at 60x just starts to fizzle so its not as sharp and contrasty as my Swarovski HD.
Still no problem in getting a difficult ID if needed.

Bryce...

Grando, out of the three it would be 30x followed closely by the 20x.

Actually this is the first mid sized scope other than my Swarovski 65 HD that I have been able to use at 60x. And that includes two 60mm Nikon's. While the Nikon was still sharp it dimmed considerably at 60x.

The Kowa at 60x just starts to fizzle so its not as sharp and contrasty as my Swarovski HD.
Still no problem in getting a difficult ID if needed.

Bryce...

Bryce .... You think the 60x on your 663 is excellent, you should try using 60x with Kowa's latest 25-60 zoom on the Prominar 77 or 88 its truly amazing. Then again you better not or you might find yourself having to add another gem to your already outstanding taste in optics. ... gwen

I agree with gwen. If Kowa made an equal zoom to the new 25X60 for the 663/664 ED's they would have the best under $1500.00 scope on the market. As it stands the available zoom is very good up to a little over 50X and then it loses a little sharpness.
Steve

Bryce .... You think the 60x on your 663 is excellent, you should try using 60x with Kowa's latest 25-60 zoom on the Prominar 77 or 88 its truly amazing. Then again you better not or you might find yourself having to add another gem to your already outstanding taste in optics. ... gwen

Lol! Its very tempting, if I would have known your were going to sell the 77 I would have bought it.

That said the 663 makes for a fine birding scope for my wife.

With 3 ep's bases are covered. That and the new tripod and head Ipurchased makes for a great light weight setup.

Bryce...

Lol! Its very tempting, if I would have known your were going to sell the 77 I would have bought it.

That said the 663 makes for a fine birding scope for my wife.

With 3 ep's bases are covered. That and the new tripod and head Ipurchased makes for a great light weight setup.

Bryce...

PM sent

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back