• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jay with broken wing (1 Viewer)

devon.birder

For about a month now I have had a Jay with what looks like a broken wing in my garden. I see it most days picking up seeds from beneath one of my seedfeeders. It is vary wary though, at the slightest sign of danger it heads for the nearest bush in leaps and bounds. I have a large oak tree growing on the hedge near the seedfeeder so it should not go short of acorns. I wonder though how long it will be able to survive once the cold weather comes. Perhaps it will last until January 1st to give me an easy year tick!!!.

devon.birder said:
I wonder though how long it will be able to survive once the cold weather comes. Perhaps it will last until January 1st to give me an easy year tick!!!.

Is this really your only concern for the bird?

A little concerned here Devon....Not to many people would post about a bird with a broken wing not making it through the winter, and have a SMILE face for the post...

Mike

devon.birder said:
For about a month now I have had a Jay with what looks like a broken wing in my garden. I see it most days picking up seeds from beneath one of my seedfeeders. It is vary wary though, at the slightest sign of danger it heads for the nearest bush in leaps and bounds. I have a large oak tree growing on the hedge near the seedfeeder so it should not go short of acorns. I wonder though how long it will be able to survive once the cold weather comes. Perhaps it will last until January 1st to give me an easy year tick!!!.
What a charming attitude.:-C
bert.

OK so the last sentance was perhaps in bad taste. I am however feeding this bird on the ground and it is only through my putting out seed that it has survived this long. I am not able to mend its broken wing which I suspect was done by a Sparrowhawk. If it lives long enough for the acorns to fall I will probably be soft enough to collect them up and leave them in little piles in the part of the garden where it hides. Sorry for any offence.

devon.birder said:

If it's any consolation I saw the last part as a cynical gag, multiple exclamation marks did it for me.

Mick

Thanks for that Mickymouse. My garden is a haven for birds and mammals due to my spending 20 years creating a nature reserve. I live in the middle of Devon and if I want to see a Jay I do not have to go many miles, they are in all the woods around my home. I have been retired for 9 years and on the 1st January I studiously avoid the birding hotspots to keep out of the way of year tickers who rush around the countryside.
I wonder how many of those who rushed to critise me own a cat. I have an electronic cat scarer to protect the area in which the injured Jay now lives. It is a pity none of them used their obvious vast knowledge of birds to inform me if a Jay with a broken wing could survive only eating food that it could find on the ground rather than jumping on a throw away remark I made at the end of my thread-albeit one which I admit was in bad taste.

For goodness sake pduxon get a sense of humour and read what you post before you do so. What does "open a cat" mean. Many people I know now refuse to post anything on Bird Message Boards and Forums in case the inadvertently offend the Taleban that now lurk ready to pounce on the slightest thing that offends them.

devon.birder said:
For goodness sake pduxon get a sense of humour and read what you post before you do so. What does "open a cat" mean. Many people I know now refuse to post anything on Bird Message Boards and Forums in case the inadvertently offend the Taleban that now lurk ready to pounce on the slightest thing that offends them.

you what?

Agree with you Devon.........lots of people on this forum are all to ready to jump down your throat. You obviously are a caring wildlife lover.

I posted something then deleted it AGES ago as I didn't want to a) cause offence b) couldn't be bothered to get in a spat.

Last edited:
devon.birder - I suppose this is my fault, since I was the first to comment, but all I said was "Is this really your only concern for the bird"?

You had every chance to amend this - but all you said was "OK so the last sentance was perhaps in bad taste........................................"

No perhaps about it at all IMO.

Anyway, if you are going to post similar messages, how about a few Smilies such as :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: and ;) ;) ;) ;) If you had done this I would have made no comment at all!!!

OK Elizabeth, but if you had read all the thread I feel you should have realised that I was somebody who cared for birds. Also whilst you might have preferred me to include some SMILES I was critised by another Poster for having a SMILE on my original post. Matter now closed as far as I am concerned. Have you read my new thread "Unusual user of feeder?.

devon.birder said:
OK Elizabeth, but if you had read all the thread I feel you should have realised that I was somebody who cared for birds. Also whilst you might have preferred me to include some SMILES I was critised by another Poster for having a SMILE on my original post. Matter now closed as far as I am concerned. Have you read my new thread "Unusual user of feeder?.

Agreed, closed as far as I am concerned too. Yes, I saw your post and I'm green with envy - I've never seen a dormouse, and not likely to, I think. I do have a little mouse climbing up the wall to reach the peanut feeder outside my kitchen window and the other day I saw one nibbling my home made suet block that is in the feeder by the study window. It's not there at the moment, and I'm glad it appreciates my cooking, but I don't appreciate having to buy four plastic dustbins to ensure safe storage for my bulk buys of bird food in the garage!

My wife and I have just been sitting on the patio enjoying the sun and watching the Field Mouse that lives in one section of the back garden but has to cross the top of the steps that lead upto the back garden in order to get to where it likes to feed. Whilst I have placed several large plant containers on the steps so that it can hide underneath it dashes from one lot of cover to the next as fast as its little legs can carry it. A Vole does the same thing although not quite so frequently.
Getting back to the injured Jay as there is no water in the front garden where it now stays I have placed a large plantpot saucer out for it as I presume it must need to bathe. I also suspect it has been scoffing the dog food that my wife buys and puts out there to supplement the diet of the Hedgehogs

I have to put my two pennorth in and wish to try to avoid upsetting anyone. I know devon.birder and have met him in the field as well as had email correspondence. I assure you he is a very helpful person to me as an experienced birder to a novice. That means he has kindness and generosity in himself. As a result I find it hard for the idea of him being so callous towards a sick bird an impossible one to believe. If you look at his post it was a humourous comment with exclamation marks.

Hope we can all see it as an unfortunate thing that happens on the internet when you can not see or hear the person speaking (writing) and do not get the emotion of the text.

Yes, that's the problem quite often with the internet. If one doesn't know the person personally, all sorts of things can be conjured up when reading things the wrong way.

Sometimes a dry sense of humour can come across as being somewhat bizarre or even callous.

Good luck with the Jay anyway devonbirder. I shall resist a winking smilie icon thingy....

Andrew said:
I have to put my two pennorth in and wish to try to avoid upsetting anyone. I know devon.birder and have met him in the field as well as had email correspondence. I assure you he is a very helpful person to me as an experienced birder to a novice. That means he has kindness and generosity in himself. As a result I find it hard for the idea of him being so callous towards a sick bird an impossible one to believe. If you look at his post it was a humourous comment with exclamation marks.

Hope we can all see it as an unfortunate thing that happens on the internet when you can not see or hear the person speaking (writing) and do not get the emotion of the text.

Very well put...Good luck with your Jay, and please keep us updated...

Thanks,
Mike

Andrew said:

Hi Andy, db and I have been nattering by PM. Its one of those misunderstanding things that's are bound to happen from time to time.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back