• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring Ouzels on Devil's Dyke (1 Viewer)

Paul Rule

Spent 2 hours walking a short section of the Devil's Dyke near Cambridge this morning in search of 2 Male Ring Ouzels that had been reported on Friday. I did not have this bird on my UK list so I got up early, to check them out before the dog walkers got going.

I had a mile to walk to get to the spot they had been seen on Friday, however I had only done a quarter of that distance when one flew past me and came to rest 50 yards away. After watching it for about 20 minutes, it was not joined by a second bird, so either they had split up or I had found a different bird, so I carried on in search of the missing bird(s). After completing the mile walk it took all of 20 seconds to track down 2 male Ouzels showing really well on a fence. On the way back the 1st Ouzel was still around which confirmed that I had indeed found a previously unreported bird. All in all a great 2 hours, not only did I get a new UK tick but the bird that gave me that tick I had found myself (although of cause I would not have be there to find it if I wasn’t looking for the others)

I must come back to this site when I finally get my digiscoping kit together. Because the path is on a high bank you can get great eye level views of birds perching on tree tops, could have got a really good shots of Yellow Hammer and Green Woodpecker this morning

Congratulations Paul! Determination rewarded. It would great if you could get a photograph next time you go.

Grousemore

If you go to http://www.streetmap.co.uk and enter this GR 558500,264500, you will have a map to the best starting point. The Dyke runs NW for about a mile to the village of Reach (Good pub here called the Dykes End). and SE to Newmarket. The birds were all to the SE within a Mile of the car park. I have posted an accurate location of the Ouzels on the CBC web site, What’s About link (http://www.cambridgebirdclub.org.uk/) This is updated daily so worth checking out before you travel.

PM me when you have firmed up you plans and I will get you the most up to date birding info for this area.

Paul

Paul,
Thanks vey much for the info,most appreciated.
I will certainly PM you once my plans are finalised and fingers crossed the birds are still there!
Trevor.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back