• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Sandpiper question (1 Viewer)

James Thomas

See plenty of Common Sandpipers like these, where the white shoulder flash is missing and the bib extends much further down the breast. Am I right in assuming they are females who moult into this prior to sitting on a nest in order to increase camouflage? If so why don't fieldguides ever point this out rather than simply stating the white patch is a key id feature?

Attachments

• IMG_0001_6.JPG
    IMG_0001_6.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0001_7.JPG
    IMG_0001_7.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
As far as i was aware, you carnt sex Common Sand i the field (although i'm sure i'll be proven wrong!). The plumage suggests it could be a juvenile bird.

Just trawled through BWPi, both pictures and both Concise and Full articles, Jim and cannot find anything to support your assumption. No differentiation between sexes at all from that source.

As far as i was aware, you carnt sex Common Sand i the field (although i'm sure i'll be proven wrong!). The plumage suggests it could be a juvenile bird.

That was my initial thought but a juvenile CS has the white shoulder patch and a much scalier back.

I saw two birds that look like this on Wednesday night, both were extremely protective of a very small area circling around me as I walked past and trying to make me follow them away from the area, earlier I'd seen exactly the same behaviour from a redshank that was trying to distract from its chick.

Last edited:
Also been through, Shorebirds by Hayman et al and Waders by Message & Taylor. No mention of this being anything other than an occasional plumage variation in Shorebirds, the other doesn't even give it as an option.

See plenty of Common Sandpipers like these, where the white shoulder flash is missing and the bib extends much further down the breast. Am I right in assuming they are females who moult into this prior to sitting on a nest in order to increase camouflage? If so why don't fieldguides ever point this out rather than simply stating the white patch is a key id feature?

Is this the same bird?

these birds have the white shoulder flash though?? and they're adult ('scribbly' markings across the plumage and no scaly patterning)

Some close ups below, there's obviously something of a shoulder patch but its not as clear as you'd normally expect. My thoughts were that a bird ssat on a nest would show the white flash and present an obvious target hence it disappears at breeding season? I don't know and can't find any info regarding this.

Attachments

• IMG_2204_1.JPG
    IMG_2204_1.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2217_1.JPG
    IMG_2217_1.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2218_1.jpg
    IMG_2218_1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2219_1.JPG
    IMG_2219_1.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2220_1.jpg
    IMG_2220_1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 41
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back