• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (5 Viewers)

(also 1 Cetti's Warbler, 6 Firecrests, 3 Grey Wagtails, 1 Raven, 1 Wheatear, 1 Rock Pipit and a poss Ring-billed Gull 2w here on 08/10/2009)

Cetti's = Bogey bird for me. Heard so many at Marazion, never got into one though. Nice one on the LT Duck Henerz

Went to Carn Marth last night for the Black Redstart (if it's still there), left it way too late. Got there at 5.45 pm it was windy, started to rain and everything had gone to roost. Only thing of note really was a flock of 200+ Jackdaw giving it loads of aerobatics, then as one large flocked plunged into the tress below to roost just like Starlings in the reed-beds.

Cheers Simon and Ash. The Long-tailed Duck was a lifer to boot!
The Loe Pool is one of those places that would really reward more observer coverage. Had some cracking birds and birding there in the last few years but it is a big place.
I recommend Castle Beach on Falmouth seafront Simon for Black Reds. It can hold 4-5 birds in the winter, plus there's always a chance around the docks if you dare to take your bins!

Last edited:
Cheers Simon and Ash. The Long-tailed Duck was a lifer to boot!
The Loe Pool is one of those places that would really reward more observer coverage. Had some cracking birds and birding there in the last few years but it is a big place.
I recommend Castle Beach on Falmouth seafront Simon for Black Reds. It can hold 4-5 birds in the winter, plus there's always a chance around the docks if you dare to take your bins!

I do take the bins but i'm restricted to dinner time (30 mins). I have a docks list on Bubo now at 21 species inc Razorbill and Mute Swan just off No 4 dock gate, Kingfisher under Empire Wharf, Skylark and 3 unidentified Terns.

I had the Long Tailed Duck that was at Loe Pool last year at the 4th attempt for it.

Only things to note today, 200+ Golden Plover and Peregrine at Zennor (but no SEO or Hen Harrier :-C)
No sign of YBW at Nanquidno either.

Didn't look anything like this did it?
http://www.surfbirds.com/media/gallery_photos/20060129054715.jpg
If so, start ringing the alarm bell

It didnt have as much of a "hood" as that, also some black in the gonys spot. It had quite a lot of streaking in front of the eye and just behind the eye. The mirror was visible on P10 but couldnt see P9. 3w LBB maybe?

Men an Tol this afternoon gave me 2 Black Redstart, 2 Hen Harrier, 2 Barn Owl and 1 SE Owl

Total seen in a combined effort between 5 of us saw 1 Hen Harrrier, 1 SE Owl, 2 Ring Ouzel, 1 Merlin and 1 Sparrowhawk added to the above total

Two friends of mine have just rung to report a Greenish Warbler on The Lizard at seaward end of Church Cove, opposite Mariner's Cottage c1pm, plus 2 Firecrests.

Last edited:
Two friends of mine have just rung to report a Greenish Warbler on The Lizard at seaward end of Church Cove, opposite Mariner's Cottage c1pm, plus 2 Firecrests.

Bird Guides.... GREEN WARBLER, CHURCH COVE
possible opposite Mariner's Cottage at the seaward end 13:00-13:40

Anymore info anyone?

The two observers have some concerns about the ID. It has a notable yellow supercilium and throat, one faint wing-bar, and is quite yellow above, however, they admit it may be just a bright Greenish Warbler though. It was showing well. One of them is a very good bird artist, and no-doubt has some good notes.

Hopefully they may know more when they have the chance to do some reading-up.

The two observers have some concerns about the ID. It has a notable yellow supercilium and throat, one faint wing-bar, and is quite yellow above, however, they admit it may be just a bright Greenish Warbler though. It was showing well. One of them is a very good bird artist, and no-doubt has some good notes.

Does anyone know if it's still there?

Mark
I don't understand "quite yellow above" please explain

Black Redstart on Truro Cathedral

At least 3 Black Redstart on the south-eastern corner of Truro Cathedral, viewed from Old Bridge Street/High Cross at lunchtime today.

Adult American Golden Plover still, showing most of the morning with 300+ Golden Plover from the track to Dozmary Pool, plus Merlin.

St Ives sea watching conditions

A 31mph North-west wind is forecast tomorrow, Thurs 5th Nov. This is worth a punt tomorrow. See you at the island!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back