• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Half an Hour at my Patch (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

(Ladies Mile LNR)
I just spent about half an hour at my patch, which was really quiet, probably the quietest it has ever been, including in midwinter. Just three bird species were singing: 1 Dunnock, 1 Robin and 3 Chiffchaffs! Other than Gulls passing over and Woodpigeons loafing in the trees and bushes I only SAW about 20 individual birds. Species including Blue tit, Great tit, Magpie, Blackbird and Greenfinch. However! Four other species included Chiffchaff, Green Woodpecker, Jay and a singing Goldfinch (I didn't metion that above!). Although I see Jays and Chiffchaffs daily this time of year, and Green Woodpeckers almost daily. Goldfinch would've been a patch year tick if I kept a patch year list!
I don't think I am over reacting saying that is the smallest number of birds I have EVER seen at my patch in that amount of time.

I know! I was really suprised to see species like those in just half an hour, considering it was so dead. I also saw a female Sparrowhawk twice that evening! And Jays in my garden today. This evening I'm off to see the Great-Spotted Cuuuuuuuuuuuuckoo! (Please let it be there PLEASE)

Geoff Pain said:
Hope you get the Great Spotted Cuckoo Jake,when you have please send up here to North Yorkshire.

I will, once Ben Rackstraw and Andrew have seen it... :eat:
Chase it up that ol' golf course wearing a Magpie mask :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back