Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 18:20   #1
Kathi Hutton

Question Bird Guide: To tip or not to tip?

I have hired a bird guide for a day trip in the Cairngorm area this autumn. He has quoted me a price for the full day, including picking me up in Inverness and bringing me back. In the USA, we sometimes tip our bird guides over and above the agreed-upon fee. Often, this is because the guide is working for a company, and relies on tips as part of his income. However, as I understand it, one generally does not tip the owner of a business, which is the case here. My guide is independent, not an employee. In reading up on social behavior in Scotland, I find that tipping is done less often and at a lower rate than here in the USA.

What is the right thing to do? Should I tip my guide or not? And if so, what would be a correct amount?

Thanks for your advice,
Kathi, counting the days till her Highland holiday
Old Thursday 13th July 2017, 18:29   #2
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening

I would say tip if you think it's particularly merited but don't feel obliged to do so. If you do tip, it should be more about expressing thanks than about augmenting their income. The guide should be charging enough already for their income, at least in this case.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th July 2017, 18:49   #3
DMKSlater

Im a bird guide in the Highlands, some people tip others do not. It is a farly even split. As Andrew says the price quoted is the price qouted and a tip not a necessity and I certainly do not expect a tip. In saying that when I use guides abroad I do tip!! :-) Hope you have a great holiday whatever you decide.

Regards

Dave

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th July 2017, 22:49   #4
Kathi Hutton

Thank you, Dave and Andrew, for your advice.

Kathi
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: