Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Monday 1st September 2008, 08:39   #4501
Songkhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
I notice today on my RBA pager today that someone had a barred warbler yesterday 'in bramble bush at end of East Bank late evening but no sign this morning'. So my 'large grey warbler' close by also late evening WAS a barred warbler!!!!!! Am I allowed to count it do you think?????!!!!!!!
I notice that RBA do look through various sites and take news from them, nothing wrong with that, but i think in this case it would be unlikely as you sound like you werent sure and the barred came on as definite not probable or possible (correct be if i'm wrong (again) William. Maybe someone read this thread and equated walsey hills with east end of east bank went looking for it and drew a blank. Or maybe they did see a barred warber late evening but it does seem that 'late evening' bit sounds like your sighting and someone has nicked it off you!

I'd say if your 100% sure you saw a Barred tick it, but personally if i wasn't 100% and a barred was seen the same or next day i still wouldn't tick it.

Hopefully you'll get a nice showy Barred bowling around on top of a bramble bush later on in the season Penny
Old Monday 1st September 2008, 18:34   #4502
David Norgate

Humm! A little more on this 'barred' warbler saga. after finding the Pied Fly at Walsey I met a young lad who said he had just seen a Barred c150 yards east of the end of East Bank. I went down there (originally to the wrong place - I have a habit of doing that!) I was there til after 6.30 pm and saw nothing, including antone else down there when I was leaving - so if it was seen then it must have been very late evening! Maybe the report referred to the initial afternoon report, or maybe someone is just much luckier than me! I also briefly saw a 'large' grey warber at Walsey Hills on Sat, but then it came out into the open and was a Blackcap!

Take care all!
Old Monday 1st September 2008, 18:50   #4503
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomskua View Post
I notice that RBA do look through various sites and take news from them, nothing wrong with that, but i think in this case it would be unlikely as you sound like you werent sure and the barred came on as definite not probable or possible (correct be if i'm wrong (again) William. Maybe someone read this thread and equated walsey hills with east end of east bank went looking for it and drew a blank. Or maybe they did see a barred warber late evening but it does seem that 'late evening' bit sounds like your sighting and someone has nicked it off you!

I'd say if your 100% sure you saw a Barred tick it, but personally if i wasn't 100% and a barred was seen the same or next day i still wouldn't tick it.

Hopefully you'll get a nice showy Barred bowling around on top of a bramble bush later on in the season Penny
Hi Pomskua

Sorry, I mean't to add some smiley faces to my post on whether I should count the barred warbler or not!!!!!!! You are right, I definately won't be counting it, I do wish it had sat and looked at me a bit longer though. BUT I do know one thing for sure it wasn't a blackcap!!! Oh well, never mind.

Gloomy dark skies here at the moment.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Monday 1st September 2008, 20:07   #4504
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

After a bit of a break from UK birding, I've finally been out and about in Norfolk this weekend co-finding a Balearic Shearwater, and finding 2 Black Terns, Temminck's & Little Stints, 6 Pied Flys, c. 10 Wood Sands, c. 20 Green Sands etc.

Details on my website (which will now be updated fairly regularly)

Hope you've all had an enjoyable summer and manage to see a few decent birds this Autumn.
Old Monday 1st September 2008, 20:14   #4505
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootshoot View Post
Nice description of the sea there Pom! It certainly was quite eerie this morning. I saw the 2 Balearics yesterday as they flew past Happisburgh at 07:45 and they were flying in a similar manner to the one you've described; very close to the water, short glides in between much flapping but there wasn't really much wind evident. They weren't as dark as the bird you describe and were close enough to pick out some smudging around the axillaries on one of them (even through 10x Zeiss). They also gave the impression of having a broader 'hand' compared to Manx and Sooty, a feature I've noticed with the species before, and were both typically heavy looking in the belly/vent area. Regarding my previous posting about the number of Balearics around, and to clear any confusion, I was suggesting that maybe there was one individual coming back to the Eccles/Sea Palling area to roost rather than one accounting for all the Norfolk records...

James
Happisburgh yesterday,sunday.
4 Whinchat in and around the paddocks by the cliffs were a good start, Sand Martins and Swallows appeared ready to leave. 4+ Wheaters in evidence.
Watched the sea for a couple of hours. 3 Guillemot on the sea, and a large mixed flock of Sandwich and Common Terns offshore was promising and I wasnt disappointed. Singles of Arctic and Pomarine Skuas came through and harrassed the flock, and a possible Bonxie at a distance.
A Brown Shearwater came through at 3pm, its flight much as you described above James. A Balearic? Maybe, didnt get enough on it to be sure. A Curlew finished off a great afternoon.
I have been in Norfolk for a year now, and Happisburgh is up there with my favourite places to bird. Heres hoping for a local rarity this autumn!
Cheers,
Jim.
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 08:54   #4506
mr.sim
Honourable founding member of the "day late" gang

Glossy Ibis just came up on Birdguides as being present at Salthouse yesterday evening. Anyone got any further information?

You know you're having a bad birding day when you realise you'd rather be working...
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 09:29   #4507
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sim View Post
Glossy Ibis just came up on Birdguides as being present at Salthouse yesterday evening. Anyone got any further information?
From RBA.....

.....Flew south over the 'Dun Cow' PH at 7:38pm....

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 09:32   #4508
sacha

Presume its the bird that has been in Yorks recently...Hope it gets relocated.
Also , i see the Black Stork is heading our way too....just flew south into Lincs.
I am off to Wells/Holkham this afternoon... will keep a look out for the Ibis
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 10:22   #4509
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

and a White-rumped Sandpiper at Titchwell, great, things getting better just as I go back to school...
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 17:08   #4510
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

RBA are reporting 'No Access' at Cantley BF between 7am and 5pm during September and October. Public footpaths appear to access the area from Cantley and Limpenhoe. Any further info from Cantley regulars?

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 18:57   #4511
Songkhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
and a White-rumped Sandpiper at Titchwell, great, things getting better just as I go back to school...
Quit school!!!

5 Manx presumably now juvs and 6 Arctic past this evening
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 19:03   #4512
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomskua View Post
Quit school!!!

5 Manx presumably now juvs and 6 Arctic past this evening
Hey Pom,

I wish it were that simple keep up the good watching at Sheringham, it's all right for some perhaps we well have some northerlies at a weekend this year in September <he says, expactantly, for at least the 3rd year running>

Have a good autumn everyone.
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 19:13   #4513
jimmyg
Good game boys, good game!

Visited the sluice today, and was disappointed to find that the wader pool has dried up just in time for autumn! Plus there was a bull sitting in the middle of it and I didn't really fancy asking him to make room for the solitary sand. Bird life was pretty average, with a nice kingfisher and a noisy family of reed warblers providing the highlights, but migration was in evidence with a reasonable hirundine passage (seemed to come in waves which was interesting) and a bush full of common warblers busily feeding up.

Formerly of the Young Norfolk Birders, www.young-norfolk-birders.blogspot.com
Please visit my diary, www.freewebs.com/jamesbirdingdiary
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 22:20   #4514
dbradnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootshoot View Post
RBA are reporting 'No Access' at Cantley BF between 7am and 5pm during September and October. Public footpaths appear to access the area from Cantley and Limpenhoe. Any further info from Cantley regulars?

James
If you stick strictly to public footpaths, then you don't get very far at this site - see http://www.multimap.com/s/QV8w6fTL in conjunction with the equivalent OS map. Basically, there's usually a right of way along the riverbank (but that's closed at present due to engineering works towards Reedham) and another running SW-NE along Marsh Road from Limpenhoe to the river.

However, by far the best pits for waders are the big ones SE of the latter footpath (due east of where my link shows 'Yare' on the map). Unless you have a permit, then I guess you could be kicked out for viewing this area during daylight hours this autumn. Glad I got one shortly after the 3 Marsh Sands all those years ago...

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd September 2008, 22:24   #4515
dbradnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
perhaps we well have some northerlies at a weekend this year in September
Looks like you might get reasonable northerlies on Saturday, though not as strong as was previously forecast. Doesn't look anything spectacular, though - just a straightforward blow down the North Sea, rather than bringing Sibes in from further east.

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 10:21   #4516
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradnum View Post
Looks like you might get reasonable northerlies on Saturday, though not as strong as was previously forecast. Doesn't look anything spectacular, though - just a straightforward blow down the North Sea, rather than bringing Sibes in from further east.
Where did you get your info from? The weather forecasts I've looked at suggest strong northerlies further north, but with the low being centred roughly over the UK, we'll get southerlies here.

From what I can decipher, conditions aren't really looking that great over the next week or so in Norfolk (although excellent in SW Ireland). The most interesting thing is the strong SW winds and heavy rain sweeping-up from Biscay, which may funnel a few seabirds through the channel. My guess is it could be quite good for Balearic Shearwaters on the east coast, with the possibility of a Cory's (a lot of stuff doesn't like passing through the Channel though, with Sab Gull pretty rare at Portland for example). There could be S-SE winds on Friday on Saturday, with high pressure over the southern + south-eastern continent meaning clear weather. Might be the odd Rose-coloured Starling or something.

My advice would be to stay in this weekend and go out next week as the lonnger-range forecast is looking pretty Mega. If you do go out this week end, Yank waders probably still the best to look out for - got to be a Short-billed Dowitcher on its way!

Last edited by Ilya Maclean : Wednesday 3rd September 2008 at 10:24.
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 10:41   #4517
POP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Where did you get your info from? The weather forecasts I've looked at suggest strong northerlies further north, but with the low being centred roughly over the UK, we'll get southerlies here.

From what I can decipher, conditions aren't really looking that great over the next week or so in Norfolk (although excellent in SW Ireland). The most interesting thing is the strong SW winds and heavy rain sweeping-up from Biscay, which may funnel a few seabirds through the channel. My guess is it could be quite good for Balearic Shearwaters on the east coast, with the possibility of a Cory's (a lot of stuff doesn't like passing through the Channel though, with Sab Gull pretty rare at Portland for example). There could be S-SE winds on Friday on Saturday, with high pressure over the southern + south-eastern continent meaning clear weather. Might be the odd Rose-coloured Starling or something.

My advice would be to stay in this weekend and go out next week as the lonnger-range forecast is looking pretty Mega. If you do go out this week end, Yank waders probably still the best to look out for - got to be a Short-billed Dowitcher on its way!
Spot on.

POP
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 11:42   #4518
jimbob

Ilya, whats the best website/source for longer range forecasts?
Cheers,
Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post

Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 14:03   #4519
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Ilya, whats the best website/source for longer range forecasts?
Cheers,
Jim.
I use magicseaweed (the surfing weather site) for 7-day forcasts as it gives a very good visual representation of what's going on:

http://magicseaweed.com/

The Germans, with the characteristics and proficiency we've come to expect from our European counterparts have an excellent and highly-technical 16-day forcast site:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

It's rather heavy duty and requires a bit more knowledge of weather symbols and systems and may require a bit of German language knowledge or educated guesswork. All together it's an excellent site though, with historic weather maps also stored.
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 14:13   #4520
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Been having a couple of hours walk around Strumpshaw Fen for the last three days, nothing out of the ordinary but nice to see two or three Little Egrets around the reserve with the more regular Grey Heron..Bearded Tits and Water Rail were quite vocal and heard regularly from the fen hide...water levels seem to be pretty low over the whole reserve but this may be due to some work in the reedbeds, there certainly seemed to be a lot of scrub clearance going on the otherside of the river at Surlingham!!

Also saw a couple of Marsh Harrier and two Kingfisher's which were very showy both from the visitor centre and the fen hide. Walking back from the fen hide a common lizard eyeing up a common darter gave good close views and even allowed a photo!!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strumps 101 (Custom).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	158102  Click image for larger version

Name:	strumps 105 (Custom).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	158103  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 16:13   #4521
jimmyg
Good game boys, good game!

Great photos, I love the slight inclination of the lizard's head towards the darter!

How accurate are long range forecasts, because I find that even the BBC five-day forecast gets pretty unreliable towards the end...?

Did the sluice again this morning hoping that the thunderstorm would have a) recreated the wader pool and b) landed a wader on it. It did neither. On the other hand there was a bit of raptor passage with 2 Marsh Harriers, a juvenile Buzzard and a Hobby all migrating through.

Formerly of the Young Norfolk Birders, www.young-norfolk-birders.blogspot.com
Please visit my diary, www.freewebs.com/jamesbirdingdiary
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 16:13   #4522
Paul Eele

Titchwell September 3rd

Today's highlights

White rumped sandpiper - adult on fresh marsh until 10:20 before flying off although it did the same yeaterday and returned in the evening.
Curlew sandpiper - 8 (2ads, 6 juvs) on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 3 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 15 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Cormorant - 66 roosting in dead trees
Mandarin - eclipse drake on brackish marsh
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Arctic skua - 3 offshore
Eider - 6 offshore
Garganey - 2 on grazing meadow pool

Would people be interested if I posted this information on a daily basis? It is something I already produce although would probably not get posted when I am not working.

Let me know what you think

Paul
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 16:48   #4523
jimbob

Thanks for the info Ilya.
Paul, I for one would appreciate the info, whenever you get the chance. Its always helpful/useful/interesting to read others sightings.
Cheers,
Jim
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 16:57   #4524
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Eele View Post
Today's highlights

White rumped sandpiper - adult on fresh marsh until 10:20 before flying off although it did the same yeaterday and returned in the evening.
Arctic skua - 3 offshore
Eider - 6 offshore

Would people be interested if I posted this information on a daily basis? It is something I already produce although would probably not get posted when I am not working.

Paul
Hi Paul

It would be great if you could post Titchwell info daily please.

Thank you.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 16:59   #4525
Kevin Groocock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Eele View Post
Today's highlights

Arctic skua - 3 offshore
Eider - 6 offshore

Paul

Paul - Yes Please. Always happy to see what is at Titchwell when I cannot get there

My Flickr Images
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: