Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Saturday 3rd March 2007, 18:25   #751
Edward woodwood

Lesser White-front still around Somerton. Very nice views too.

Lots of Cetti's, Marsh Harriers, couple of cranes, about 80 Skylarks in one flock. Couple of Porpoises past Sea Palling and at least 40 RT Divers south in about 45 mins. About 1200 Pinks still around. 100+ Greylags. A few Stonechats and Mipits but no Wapits today. 30 Pied Wags roosting in Sea Palling

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Saturday 3rd March 2007 at 21:56.
Old Saturday 3rd March 2007, 20:36   #752
aythya_hybrid
real name Jonathan Dean

not a bad day in the ol' county

Salthouse, around 9am:
Glaucous Gull on the beach and the sea early on before it disappeared
Snow Bunting and Little Stint both showing very well near the beach car park

9 Shore Lark at Cley, by the coastguards, also a pale-bellied Brent.

Then onto Buckenham, where we failed to locate the American Wigeon among the entire world population of Eurasian Wigeon. 20+ Ruff and a Water Pipit.

Horsey Corner late afternoon, early evening: 2+ Marsh Harrier, 7+ Crane affording excellent views and calling lots, 2 Barn Owl and a distant Hooded or Hybrid Crow.

The day was slightly let down by a crazy birder who threatened violence whilst (erroneously) accusing my birding associate of scaring the Glaucous Gull away. In all my years of birding never have I encountered a birder of such a violent and hostile predisposition.
Old Saturday 3rd March 2007, 21:50   #753
Penny Clarke

Woke up to pouring rain early morning, so when back to sleep!!!!!

Left Lynn just after 9am in the end, looking brighter now, passed Rainbow Supermarket (bottom of Knights' Hill) (PLEASE NOTE!!!!!) on route to Walsey Hills/Salthouse. On the way I dropped into Cley Spy to ask them if they had any type of case that would fit my Nikon ED50, couldn't believe it!!!!!! as soon as I arrived a man in the shop remembered me buying my scope last year and said they had just bought a new case out!!!!! They were putting it on display first time today, first batch arriving in a month, was really pleased, much much better than the 'In Focus' case - £39.99, olive green, really snug fit, brilliant, pre-ordered inc free P+P, mine was the first order, arriving in a month, will look forward to that!!!

I arrived at Walsey Hills just after 11am to spend the day with NOA volunteer warden Pete Snook who told me that on his pager (I don't have one) there were 7 waxwings at Rainbow Supermarket, King's Lynn just after 9am!!!!!!!! I bl**dy passed that earlier on!!!!!!!!!

Usual stuff on the feeders at Walsey and round about in the bushes, chaffinches, blue tits, great tits, dunnock, linnets, several long tailed tits, wrens, cettis warbler singing, Juv. marsh harrier over the marsh, sparrow hawk, lots of skylarks in the field at the back of Walsey. After lunch and long chin wag, walked along east bank, knot, curlew, wigeon, shelduck, little egret, 2 spotted redshanks, ringed plover, dunlin, common redshank, brents, pink feet. Seawatching produced a black throated diver. Back to Walsey for tea and cake and then along to Salthouse about 5.30, 2 pied wags flew over and also barn owl (Pete saw distantly), I didn't. Beautiful scenery around Salthouse, have not been up this end for a while, must come again here soon I had hoped to maybe photograph an adder basking in the sun today, but none seen yet. Finished off the day with sunset over Cley and vege burger and chips and then home. Lovely day, lovely company in a beautiful part of Norfolk.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Sunday 4th March 2007, 08:40   #754
Ben Nevis

Nice report Penny,pity you didnt get to se any Adders.Mind you,you can always watch Countdown during the week.Plenty of Adders on there..!
Old Sunday 4th March 2007, 09:18   #755
POP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aythya_hybrid
Salthouse, around 9am:
Glaucous Gull on the beach and the sea early on before it disappeared
Snow Bunting and Little Stint both showing very well near the beach car park

9 Shore Lark at Cley, by the coastguards, also a pale-bellied Brent.

Then onto Buckenham, where we failed to locate the American Wigeon among the entire world population of Eurasian Wigeon. 20+ Ruff and a Water Pipit.

Horsey Corner late afternoon, early evening: 2+ Marsh Harrier, 7+ Crane affording excellent views and calling lots, 2 Barn Owl and a distant Hooded or Hybrid Crow.

The day was slightly let down by a crazy birder who threatened violence whilst (erroneously) accusing my birding associate of scaring the Glaucous Gull away. In all my years of birding never have I encountered a birder of such a violent and hostile predisposition.
Perhaps you should have offered him to a "Glasgow sandwich"

POP
Old Sunday 4th March 2007, 12:31   #756
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Half an hour spent yesterday afternoon watching over marshes at Ludham Bridge... 2 Barn Owls and a Marsh Harrier, single Oystercatcher on a flood and Skylarks songflighting.

From the Johnson Street end of the village c.30-40 Mute Swans were joined by 7 Bewicks'.

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Sunday 4th March 2007, 14:53   #757
Edward woodwood

Hooded x Carrion crow at Horsey

GND at Barton, along with a couple of cranes and a Kingfisher etc

Tim
Old Sunday 4th March 2007, 18:57   #758
DaveB
birding.daveb.co.uk

3rd March, 2007

A visit to North–west Norfolk did not disappoint, with 72 different species being recorded throughout the day. However, it was not so much the quantity, but the quality of the birds that made the day special.

Wolferton was the first stop where at least nine Woodcock and two Jays were seen before viewing the first of our target birds, a Golden Pheasant (one female). A further 26 species were added to the list at this location. Highlights included Barn Owl (quartering the land to the north of the village), Sparrowhawk (1 female) and Common Buzzard (2).

Next up was Snettisham, where the second target bird was the long staying Black–eared Kite. The morning could not have gone better. Hen Harrier (1 ringtal), Marsh Harrier (at least 3), Common Buzzard (2), Merlin (1) and Kestrel (1) were the raptors. Geese included Greylag Goose (100+), Canada Goose (50+), Egyption Goose (6+), White–fronted Goose (2), Brent Goose (2), Pink–footed Goose (200+), Barnacle Goose (12+), Ross’s Goose and a blue morph Snow Goose.

A further 43 species were added to the list, including the Black–eared Kite viewed to the west of the pumping station.

Many thanks to all who have helped me with the visit.

DaveB

Forgot to mention the four Shorelarks (by rotary hide) and the Med Gull flying over the pumping station.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SnowGeese@Snettisham_030307.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	74600  

Last edited by DaveB : Sunday 4th March 2007 at 20:27.
Old Monday 5th March 2007, 15:38   #759
Happisbirder

A couple of hours along the clifftop this morning saw a few small parties of Linnet east along with a couple of alba Wagtails and 3 Stock Doves. An almost electric 'spitz' call drew my attention to a Grey Wagtail also eastbound. Two Mistle Thrushes purposefully headed west, small parties of Black-headed Gulls were passing east some way offshore whilst the odd Herring and Lesser Black-backed headed mostly west.

Great Crested Grebe in summer plumage and 2 Porpoise at sea and it looks like the authorities are finally putting in some habitat for Purple Sandpipers!

At Walcott seafront c.60 Turnstone and a 2W & 1W Med Gull...

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Happisburgh.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	74755  

Old Tuesday 6th March 2007, 13:50   #760
postcardcv
Super Moderator

I saw my first house martin of the year this morning - a single hawking over fields just west of Castle Acre.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th March 2007, 18:08   #761
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv
I saw my first house martin of the year this morning - a single hawking over fields just west of Castle Acre.
That was nice!!!!! Well done!
Old Tuesday 6th March 2007, 19:22   #762
DaveB
birding.daveb.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB
A visit to North–west Norfolk did not disappoint, with 72 different species being recorded throughout the day. However, it was not so much the quantity, but the quality of the birds that made the day special.

Wolferton was the first stop where at least nine Woodcock and two Jays were seen before viewing the first of our target birds, a Golden Pheasant (one female). A further 26 species were added to the list at this location. Highlights included Barn Owl (quartering the land to the north of the village), Sparrowhawk (1 female) and Common Buzzard (2).

Next up was Snettisham, where the second target bird was the long staying Black–eared Kite. The morning could not have gone better. Hen Harrier (1 ringtal), Marsh Harrier (at least 3), Common Buzzard (2), Merlin (1) and Kestrel (1) were the raptors. Geese included Greylag Goose (100+), Canada Goose (50+), Egyption Goose (6+), White–fronted Goose (2), Brent Goose (2), Pink–footed Goose (200+), Barnacle Goose (12+), Ross’s Goose and a blue morph Snow Goose.

A further 43 species were added to the list, including the Black–eared Kite viewed to the west of the pumping station.

Many thanks to all who have helped me with the visit.

DaveB

Forgot to mention the four Shorelarks (by rotary hide) and the Med Gull flying over the pumping station.

Thanks!
Thought I would let you chaps know that there has been a discussion on the Blue Morph. It turns out that this could be a Snow x Ross's Hybrid.

DaveB
Old Tuesday 6th March 2007, 19:29   #763
Edward woodwood

Hey there Dave

there's been a Lesser Snow x Ross's out east over the last few weeks but not recently... a photo is on Great Yarmouth Bird Club website

nothing much out of the ordinary this evening around Sea Palling but several hundred gulls have massed offshore this evening. Too distant to id with bins though. 20-30 Mipits and a couple of Stonechats. Few Pied Wags going over hinting at movements soon to come...
Old Tuesday 6th March 2007, 20:28   #764
Mark43

Just returned from a fab 4 days in Norfolk.

Weather was great apart from Sunday afternoon when it rained and blew a gale but sat nice and snug in Joe Jordan hide at Holkham so it didn't bother us to much.

Couldn't find my main target which was Hawfinch at Lynford but caught up with Shore Lark and Rock Pipit at Cley and Goldeneye at Titchwell.

A nice Tawny Owl in Wells as we walked to the pub was a great bonus also.

The Black eared Kite (possibly) came to us as we sat at Wolferton Triangle but i couldn't see the damm thing but the wife did.....luckily for me we both have to see it to add it to the list.........hehehehehe.......good job i made that rule up.

Otherwise all the usual suspects around but still nice to see.
Old Wednesday 7th March 2007, 12:10   #765
keithyed

Had a nice day at cley area yesturday Shore larks 9 still just behind the old fishing boats. little stint,dunlin,blacktailed godwits,avocets,redshanks ,2 spotted redshanks
reeves and ruff,brent geese by the thousands by the cafe,pied wagtails,and reed buntings good views of the marsh harriers.
in the bushes at bottom of beach road there was a dartford warbler spotted.1 near waxham today i see.
didnt see any pipits tho.
Went to horsey at dusk but didnt see the cranes but did hear them, maybe just too late,about 15 marsh harriers came into roost.gorgeous evening weather for a change

keith
Old Thursday 8th March 2007, 16:47   #766
Tranquility Base

Went for a walk round Buckenham / Strump today: Bittern, American Wigeon, 2 Peregrines, Merlin, loadsa Ruff etc... Two butterflies too! A Comma and a Brimstone! Must be spring!
Old Thursday 8th March 2007, 18:36   #767
Edward woodwood

Dartford Warbler at Waxham again this evening but mega skulky. A few Cranes bugling away cut a nice backdrop

Tim
Old Thursday 8th March 2007, 18:53   #768
SueBryan

Went for a walk at lunchtime to escape a stuffy classroom at Dersingham Bog and saw 2 Woodlarks. How lovely to hear them singing! Fellow birders had seen a Brimstone Butterfly too!
Sue
Old Thursday 8th March 2007, 19:52   #769
Happisbirder

Was a fine but chilly morning when I left off so I went to Cart Gap, just down the road from home. 0645-0715, a few Greenfinch, Chaffinch, 2 Goldfinch and 6 alba Wagtails west as well as a high flying flock of 22 Wood Pigeon (migrating? They do). Best was a fine male Merlin watched perched atop a small tree before flying off to hunt; he did the 'Mistle Thrush bounding' they often employ to fool potential prey species that they're something much safer.

James

Old Friday 9th March 2007, 20:04   #770
Karl J

1 buzzard over fields by Stone Lane, Buckenham this afternoon (up the "hill" from Buckenham train station) . very nice i thought

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 9th March 2007, 20:38   #771
Penny Clarke

Birdline: Black eared kite still at RSPB Snettisham
Old Saturday 10th March 2007, 12:38   #772
Edward woodwood

2 garganey at Heigham Holmes thursday
Old Saturday 10th March 2007, 14:55   #773
gordon hamlett

saturday holkham hall

Noticeable movement of redwings in the Wells/Holkham area today. 1 Buzzard over Holkham Hall. Failed for the 6th time this year to see lesser spot there

Gordon Hamlett
Old Saturday 10th March 2007, 19:50   #774
Edward woodwood

quite a few Little Gulls currently around Waxham in ploughed field near Shangri-La

bit quiet today otherwise, no sign of the Dartford and only a couple of cranes.

Tim
Old Saturday 10th March 2007, 21:58   #775
Penny Clarke

Very busy up this end of Norfolk today. Massive movement of Redwings.

Started off at Holme Marsh Reserve at 8.15am (hides with cushions in!!!!!). The path to the first hide, produced 60 redwings going west. Just before 1st hide a beautiful pair of bullfinches in the sycamore. From hide: 1 heron, 2 blue tits, 6 long tailed tits, little grebe, male reed bunting, wren, robin, shelduck, 90+ curlew got up over the marsh, coot, tufted duck, chaffinch, kestrel, magpie x 2, lapwings x12, mallard. From Hide 3: Wigeon 100+, Skylark feeding in front of hide + several serenading me in the blue skies, several Brents over the marsh, Little Egret, 4 carrion crows going west, pair of mute swans, greylags, sparrowhawk, another 75 redwings going west, teal, great tit. Along the path back: a goldcrest, which I tried to turn into a firecrest, but alas no eye stripe!!! Another!!! 100+ redwings, west again. Left here 10.30am went home to mother's for loo stop - Looking out of kitchen window saw a crisp looking brambling!

In the village by pond, 9 greenfinches sitting in the tree. Along Firs Road to Holme Bird Observatory: a song thrush sitting in tree and singing, coal tit in hawthorn.

Redwell Marsh Reserve 11am: 2 oystercatcher, 17 Jackdaws bathing in the watery edges, 9 coots poodling around in the scrape, 10 curlew, 1 redshank, 1 moorhen, skylark singing, wren singing, 7 linnets going west, pair of teal, and a fantastic sight of a female merlin flying in and landing on a fence post, where she sat for a long time!!!!! Left here, half way down Firs Road by 5-bar gate, nipped out of car for quick scan over saltings, 3 little egrets, 2 avocets.

At HBO, 2 long tailed tits, coal tit, water rail calling, marsh harrier. Sat and had sandwiches and turned into a complete lazy slob and stretched on bench/seat, using rucksack as pillow in the wonderful sunshine and had 40 winks listening to the pines wavering in the wind with the sound of skylarks, absolute heaven, like a summer's day. Finally, lazily rose and went off again at just before 3pm along Thornham bank to sluice to see reed bunting, redshank, oystercatcher, 2 red legged partridge over lavendar marsh (very boggy round here!!) Note: beware of walking on dry grassy stuff to discover deep pools of water underneath!!! (I really should know by now, being a Norfolk lass and being the age I am!!!!!) Carried on up to Thornham Point and counted 12 ringed plover, 3 sanderlings, 1 turnstone, several oystercatchers, 100+ common gulls, several batches of Lesser black backed gulls going west, 60 herring gulls. Spotted a funny looking gull and got a birding friend all the way out there to look at it and it was only a ******* !!! not going to confess on here what it was!!!!!! About 1,100 golden plover landed before us, fantastic sight in the sunshine!!!!! Walked back to Observatory, meeting up with my youngest sister as well. On NOA carpark had 5 fieldfares sitting on telegraph wires, as the sun was setting and 2 more red legged partridges. Back to parents for tea and cake and back home.

See NOA website for other sightings at Holme today http://norfolkornithologistsassociat....com/FrontPage

Wonderful, beautiful day in sunny West Norfolk.

Have a good day tomorrow everyone.

Best Wishes Penny
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: