Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Sunday 15th August 2010, 20:21   #9501
Tractorboy69
Registered User
 
Tractorboy69's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Norfolk
Posts: 362
Highlights around the patch this weekend included a Common Redstart, 3+ Pied Flys, Whinchat and Wheatear, plus Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, Blackcap and Whitethroat etc.

The extreme coastal fringe was just too windy to harbour anything, with most birds, including the two pictured below, seeking out shelter just inland.

Simon

(P.S Hope to get my blog back up to date this week as my computer has been out of order for the last couple of weeks)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PiedFly1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	278186  Click image for larger version

Name:	Redstart1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	278187  
__________________
http://www.pbase.com/poppylandnature
Twitter @PoppylandNature
Tractorboy69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 15th August 2010, 20:36   #9502
Tideliner
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: norfolk
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSmith View Post
Hi all,

In London we have a website and an email list for sharing bird sightings. Is there anything similar for Norfolk?


Tom
No thank god. I can never see the point in following up bird sightings of others. Better to get out and find your own birds then you have acheved something rather than joining the bus que.
Tideliner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 15th August 2010, 21:32   #9503
Penny Clarke
Registered User
 
Penny Clarke's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: King's Lynn, Norfolk
Posts: 4,129
Cley Coastguards 5.30pm until 9pm.

Dragged myself along the A148 again! Had a quick look round the House on Hill at Blakeney and along the public footpath east of/adjacent but nothing more than a woodpigeon and a kestrel!

Got to Cley coastguards just berfore 5.30pm.

Along with Cley birders (RM, MG, PS, EM, SB, AJ) watched a juv Long Tailed Skua going east at 6pm. Manx Shearwater 6.55pm going west and a Black Tern going west at 7.55pm. Lots of banter, excellent company and a cracking evening. Several Arctic Skuas, dark and light phase chasing terns. Several Common Scoter going west, a grey plover, sandwich and common terns, someone saw an Arctic Tern, but I didn't, several gannets and Kittiwakes. I was so hoping to see a Storm Petrol, but not lucky with that, never mind!

Everyone else left by 8.15pmish. I stayed until 9pm - the ferocity of the sea severely increased and massive waves were rolling in by 9pm - I saw a large shearwater (honest!) go west in the semi darkness!!!!!!!!! and no it wasn't a gannet

Best Wishes Penny

After 6 attempts to load my picture of icterine on to here, I give up!
Keep making the picture smaller and getting the same message. Perhaps I am doing something wrong!

Your file of 606.2 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 395.3 KB for this filetype.

PS - Icterine pictures now on my blog

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Monday 16th August 2010 at 00:13.
Penny Clarke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 15th August 2010, 22:01   #9504
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Norwich, Norfolk
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSmith View Post
Hi all,
In London we have a website and an email list for sharing bird sightings. Is there anything similar for Norfolk?
Tom
There are two birding yahoo groups for norfolk, one however appears moribund and is full of spam. T'other's active however:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/norfolkbirds

A better option than norfolk wildlife group - which is for proper wildlife not birds
HarassedDad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 16th August 2010, 02:04   #9505
David Norgate
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dereham
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideliner View Post
No thank god. I can never see the point in following up bird sightings of others. Better to get out and find your own birds then you have acheved something rather than joining the bus que.
Each to their own Tideliner, although I am not too sure what god has got to do with it Oh I do love aceptance of other people's 'religion'!!
David Norgate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 16th August 2010, 14:35   #9506
Jono L
Registered User
 
Jono L's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: York, UK
Posts: 550
Is anything seabirdy happening in this fresh northwester today? Is the sea worth a look this evening?
Cheers
Jono
__________________
www.birdingdad.blogspot.com
Northern Latitude Birding Attitude
Jono L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 16th August 2010, 14:37   #9507
Jono L
Registered User
 
Jono L's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: York, UK
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSmith View Post
Hi all,

In London we have a website and an email list for sharing bird sightings. Is there anything similar for Norfolk?


Tom
I set this up, which started well, but has gone quiet of late.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nenorfolkbirding Northeast Norfolk Birding Newsgroup
Send me a message if you want to join.
Cheers
Jono
__________________
www.birdingdad.blogspot.com
Northern Latitude Birding Attitude
Jono L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 16th August 2010, 14:45   #9508
Jono L
Registered User
 
Jono L's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: York, UK
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideliner View Post
No thank god. I can never see the point in following up bird sightings of others. Better to get out and find your own birds then you have acheved something rather than joining the bus que.
But surely it is helpful to know what is going on? So if there is a fall happening or a good movement of seabirds etc, you are aware of it and then can get out in the field to "find your own birds".

The sharing of news is not necessarily so that people can twitch.
__________________
www.birdingdad.blogspot.com
Northern Latitude Birding Attitude
Jono L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 17th August 2010, 08:24   #9509
Jono L
Registered User
 
Jono L's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: York, UK
Posts: 550
At Winterton 5.30pm - 7.30pm yesterday:
1 Sooty Shearwater, 8 Manx Shearwater and 8 Arctic Skuas all north.
Cheers
Jono
__________________
www.birdingdad.blogspot.com
Northern Latitude Birding Attitude
Jono L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 17th August 2010, 13:52   #9510
Richard Abr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,477
Lesser Grey Shrike

For anyone in the area - birdguides - Lesser Grey Shrike at 2.18pm beyond Moss's pool on fence south of shingle bank before Kelling Hard car park. Good luck to those looking for it.
Cheers
Richard
Richard Abr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 17th August 2010, 16:31   #9511
Penny Clarke
Registered User
 
Penny Clarke's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: King's Lynn, Norfolk
Posts: 4,129
Soooo frustrating!!!!! Knew this would happen - am sitting in hairdressers!!

Best Wishes Penny
Penny Clarke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 17th August 2010, 16:45   #9512
NoSpringChicken
Registered User
 
NoSpringChicken's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Norfolk
Posts: 26,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
Soooo frustrating!!!!! Knew this would happen - am sitting in hairdressers!!

Best Wishes Penny
Never mind. I am sure Simon will appreciate it.

Ron
NoSpringChicken is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th August 2010, 17:04   #9513
Penny Clarke
Registered User
 
Penny Clarke's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: King's Lynn, Norfolk
Posts: 4,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpringChicken View Post
Never mind. I am sure Simon will appreciate it.

Ron
He better!!! - you have to book a few months in advance to get an appointment at my hairdressers so had it booked anyway - glad I did now!

Maybe the LGS will stay til tomorrow evening, if I am lucky!
Penny Clarke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 17th August 2010, 18:38   #9514
black kite 1964
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: bedfordshire
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono L View Post
But surely it is helpful to know what is going on? So if there is a fall happening or a good movement of seabirds etc, you are aware of it and then can get out in the field to "find your own birds".

The sharing of news is not necessarily so that people can twitch.
I suspect tideliner does not twitch other peoples birds. On that basis he has no obligation to release news on anything he finds. I do note that he provides detailed information on h buzzard sightings. Many birders with large self found lists are also big listers! What really annoys me are those birders who either do not release news of good birds on mainstream sites or do so many hours or days later! Many of these individuals twitch other peoples birds. Latest bou skyes warbler (453) Latest norfolk icky warbler (thanks penny).

Last edited by black kite 1964 : Tuesday 17th August 2010 at 18:41.
black kite 1964 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 17th August 2010, 20:57   #9515
Tideliner
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: norfolk
Posts: 1,394
You are right Black Kite I do not twitch birds found by others. If I see a group of birders twitching I usually walk the other way. Everyone to their own , but personally I feel we have a generation of birders who look on the pager service before they go birding instead of looking at the weather charts or seeking likely habitats. As anyone who has talked to me at the raptor watch points I will often point people in the right direction to find birds that I have seen . However I never put out information online on the pager service of any birds I have found unless they are at a wardened site that can cope with large numbers of birders or I might mention it after the birds have moved on. Time and time again I have found birds that have settled down for a long period , only for the news to leak out , twitching hoards to appear and the bird is frightened away.

I can give a prime example of this. There were two tundra race bean geese feeding with a flock of several hundred pink feet on a beet field south of Holkham. I spent many great afternoons watching them until someone put the news out. 20 odd birders descended on the place within an hour and to start with all was well as they stayed on the beet pad 300 yards off. Then two prats ( middle aged women who are forum members ) pushed past us to get a closer look. When I protested they answered " we have been watching geese for years and we know what we are doing ". They drove down a private track and of course put all the geese to flight and the beans left the field never to return. As they drove back past me I said to them " If you have been watching geese for so long its about time you knew what you were doing " , at which point I got an ear full from them as they drove off.

The times I have seen some lost rare warbler hemmed in by a hoard of twitchers leaves a bad taste in my mouth and personally is not what birdwatching is all about. Being out in the wilds alone , reading the weather and conditions , selecting the right habitat and then settling down quietly , out of sight studying the birds activity without it knowing I was close by is so much more rewarding than queuing up to tick a bird. Many a time I have crept away on hands and knees so as not to disturb it.

This morning I spend 4 hours watching 3 spoonbills feeding on a pool almost at my feet , coupled with 90 odd black tailed godwits , little stints and a host of other waders and wildfowl coupled with a young hobby chasing swifts that almost parted my hair. I crept away and they never knew I had been so close to them. Apart from a couple of distant walkers walking along the sea wall I had the place to myself. My kind of birdwatching .

Last edited by Tideliner : Tuesday 17th August 2010 at 21:06.
Tideliner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 17th August 2010, 20:59   #9516
Richard Abr
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,477
Priorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
He better!!! - you have to book a few months in advance to get an appointment at my hairdressers so had it booked anyway - glad I did now!

Maybe the LGS will stay til tomorrow evening, if I am lucky!
First things first Penny. You've got to look to absolute best for Simon!!
Anyhow do hope the shrike stays for you till tomorrow.
Best wishes
Richard
Richard Abr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 17th August 2010, 21:45   #9517
black kite 1964
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: bedfordshire
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideliner View Post
You are right Black Kite I do not twitch birds found by others. If I see a group of birders twitching I usually walk the other way. Everyone to their own , but personally I feel we have a generation of birders who look on the pager service before they go birding instead of looking at the weather charts or seeking likely habitats. As anyone who has talked to me at the raptor watch points I will often point people in the right direction to find birds that I have seen . However I never put out information online on the pager service of any birds I have found unless they are at a wardened site that can cope with large numbers of birders or I might mention it after the birds have moved on. Time and time again I have found birds that have settled down for a long period , only for the news to leak out , twitching hoards to appear and the bird is frightened away.

I can give a prime example of this. There were two tundra race bean geese feeding with a flock of several hundred pink feet on a beet field south of Holkham. I spent many great afternoons watching them until someone put the news out. 20 odd birders descended on the place within an hour and to start with all was well as they stayed on the beet pad 300 yards off. Then two prats ( middle aged women who are forum members ) pushed past us to get a closer look. When I protested they answered " we have been watching geese for years and we know what we are doing ". They drove down a private track and of course put all the geese to flight and the beans left the field never to return. As they drove back past me I said to them " If you have been watching geese for so long its about time you knew what you were doing " , at which point I got an ear full from them as they drove off.

The times I have seen some lost rare warbler hemmed in by a hoard of twitchers leaves a bad taste in my mouth and personally is not what birdwatching is all about. Being out in the wilds alone , reading the weather and conditions , selecting the right habitat and then settling down quietly , out of sight studying the birds activity without it knowing I was close by is so much more rewarding than queuing up to tick a bird. Many a time I have crept away on hands and knees so as not to disturb it.

This morning I spend 4 hours watching 3 spoonbills feeding on a pool almost at my feet , coupled with 90 odd black tailed godwits , little stints and a host of other waders and wildfowl coupled with a young hobby chasing swifts that almost parted my hair. I crept away and they never knew I had been so close to them. Apart from a couple of distant walkers walking along the sea wall I had the place to myself. My kind of birdwatching .
Views accepted. I find the fieldcraft of some birders making me hide my head in shame. The behaviour of some birders on whalsay last year whilst watching a veery (destroying fences etc) made me feel very uncomfortable. One of the individuals concerned is about to become a tv star! I like looking for my own stuff. When i do find something good (not that often) i always release news as i go and see other peoples birds! That should be the principle - expect with rare breeders, private land and disturbance to other breeding birds. When it is managed well, everybody goes home happy!
black kite 1964 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 17th August 2010, 23:00   #9518
Tractorboy69
Registered User
 
Tractorboy69's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Norfolk
Posts: 362
Record shot of the Lesser Grey Shrike attached, a very stunning looking bird and made even better that it was in the Cley square!

Highlights of y'days (Mondays) seawatching from the patch included a Storm Petrel and a couple of Sooty Shears.

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LGShrike1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	278629  
__________________
http://www.pbase.com/poppylandnature
Twitter @PoppylandNature
Tractorboy69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th August 2010, 12:23   #9519
firstreesjohn
Registered User
 
firstreesjohn's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Norfolk
Posts: 1,919
Our monarch goes cuckoo again at Gramboro’- an Arrowing experience

With time short, after a highly enjoyable spell grilling the largest British hover (Volucella zonaria) at Beeston Bog, I made my way east from the car park at Salthouse beach. Looking towards Muckleburgh, I saw that the birders were in several groups and, eventually, nearly by the radar station. I couldn’t do this.

Trying the bushes, I flushed something with a reddish cast to its uppers: that was all I had from the corner of my eye. Redstart ? Circulating said brambles several times, as if engaged in Wiccan practices, I managed to see nothing. OK, methought and plonked myself down on the slope, a little way from the brambles. After a while, two birders came along the path and, at the same moment, I saw a bird perched on one of the posts- the attached juvenile Cuckoo. That must have accounted for the ruddiness.

Some more red was visible in the sky, with the Red Arrows displaying their formidable skills, as part of Cromer Carnival.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016psesm.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	278699  Click image for larger version

Name:	097psesm.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	278700  Click image for larger version

Name:	114psesm.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	278701  
firstreesjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th August 2010, 12:59   #9520
grumps
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 250
How opportune. Photograhed one of these hover thingies while butter/dragonflying here in Lincolnshire yesterday and was going to spend time trying to ID it. So thanks for the pic and ID.

Hugh
grumps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th August 2010, 14:51   #9521
Jono L
Registered User
 
Jono L's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: York, UK
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideliner View Post
... However I never put out information online on the pager service of any birds I have found...

...This morning I spend 4 hours watching 3 spoonbills feeding on a pool almost at my feet , coupled with 90 odd black tailed godwits , little stints and a host of other waders and wildfowl coupled with a young hobby chasing swifts that almost parted my hair."
__________________
www.birdingdad.blogspot.com
Northern Latitude Birding Attitude
Jono L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th August 2010, 19:53   #9522
jimbob
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Surlingham
Posts: 1,195
2 Green Sandpiper at Surlingham Marsh this evening. Also, a Barn Owl was watched hunting outside the Woods End pub.
Cheers,
Jim.
__________________
'Look at all the people like cows in a herd, well I like....birds'. (The Eels, from Daisies of the galaxy)
http://jimsbirdingblog.blogspot.com/
@SurlinghamBirds
jimbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th August 2010, 21:00   #9523
Tractorboy69
Registered User
 
Tractorboy69's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Norfolk
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstreesjohn View Post

Some more red was visible in the sky, with the Red Arrows displaying their formidable skills, as part of Cromer Carnival.
Yes they were showing well from Cromer Golf Course, where there was also a single Wheatear.

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RArrows1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	278765  
__________________
http://www.pbase.com/poppylandnature
Twitter @PoppylandNature
Tractorboy69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th August 2010, 21:07   #9524
Penny Clarke
Registered User
 
Penny Clarke's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: King's Lynn, Norfolk
Posts: 4,129
Wonderful views of the Lesser Grey Shrike this evening from 7.35pm to 8.10pm even though the light was going - stunning bird! and well well worth flying over for after work even though I have only just got home at 9.45pm! Stunning sunset aswell set the scene. Got some fuzzy record shots of the shrike sitting in a bramble. It dived behind the bramble bush at 8.10pm and didn't see it anymore.

Pictures on blog shortly.

Best Wishes Penny
Penny Clarke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 19th August 2010, 06:24   #9525
firstreesjohn
Registered User
 
firstreesjohn's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Norfolk
Posts: 1,919
Disappointed not to see Penny in flight- tho' managed this for the Shrike

"well worth flying over for after work" (the previous)

In conditions which would have been perfect, save for the persistent wind, I tried in vain to obtain clear shots of the Kelling LG Shrike. It didn’t help that it wasn’t all that close and I just couldn’t keep the ‘scope still.

Nevertheless, it was pleasant to be there when people weren’t attempting to get up its nose and just watch it pottering about, flying here and flying there- but mainly perching (the bird, not me).

‘grumps’ & hoverflies (from #9520): make sure you’re not looking at Volucella inanis (centre photo), rather than V. zonaria (RH), which has a cursory resemblance to Hornet. This same bramble bush held V. pellucens, too. Missed you at Wasley a few weeks ago- but then, I didn’t go there while you were up (down?) here !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	135psesm.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	278795  Click image for larger version

Name:	170psesm.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	278796  Click image for larger version

Name:	149psesm.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	278797  
firstreesjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Birding in Tokyo Charles Harper Japan 17 Tuesday 2nd August 2011 13:59
ALASKAN BIRDING FROM A CRUISE SHIP: part 1 - Introduction HelenB Vacational Trip Reports 17 Sunday 21st September 2003 13:04


£100 Cashback on Opticron DBA VHD Binoculars. Click to find out more.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.30719709 seconds with 36 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08.