Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Friday 17th September 2010, 18:54   #9701
wolfbirder

Location: Wolverhampton - the true original Capital of the Black Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
Just asked Sophie B. H.B.O. AW and she said no one has reported it today.

Doesn't mean to say its not there though, especially if not many people have been looking!

Best Wishes Penny

Appreciate that Penny, I will keep my ears to the ground tomorrow. I drove 3.5 hours on Wednesday but could not find it in the 1.5 hours I had until Holme closed, but it was wiindy. Thats 7 hours driving in total ! I love my warblers tho but will not set off tomorrow unless I see it reported on Birdguides.

Your excellent photos of this bird made me drool Penny!
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Friday 17th September 2010, 19:32   #9702
stuart white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorboy69 View Post
As with most phyllosc's, its just doing a circuit and consistently returns to the same area of pines on the north side of the track along the seaward side of the reserve. We saw it well there Monday, and it was showing well in the same place this afternoon too once the rain had stopped.

Simon
You obviously failed to mimic tractor boys fieldcraft skills, as did I
We saw it briefly wednesday but it was difficult in 30+ mile an hour westerly winds !! It was pretty, calm, cool and clear last night so there is a good chance its gone I'm afraid, hopefully I'm wrong though.
Old Friday 17th September 2010, 20:11   #9703
peteh

I spent about 3-4 hours at Holme today and there was no sign. Lots of people were looking too.
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 04:59   #9704
wolfbirder

Location: Wolverhampton - the true original Capital of the Black Country
Cheers lads - i too think it has gone.

Never mind - one day another twitchable one will come long, probably in the Shetlands !

Lovely reserve is Holme - in all my years of birding that is the first time i have been there.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 19:26   #9705
peteh

Can anyone tell me where the whirlygig is at warham green? I know where that iron gibet thingy is but dont know which way to walk for the whirlygig (also what is a whirlygig?)
Cheers
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 20:22   #9706
David Norgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteh View Post
Can anyone tell me where the whirlygig is at warham green? I know where that iron gibet thingy is but dont know which way to walk for the whirlygig (also what is a whirlygig?)
Cheers
They are the same thing!!
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 20:41   #9707
peteh

aha ! thanks very much
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 20:45   #9708
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
........Your excellent photos of this bird made me drool Penny!
Thanks No sign of it today either.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 21:18   #9709
Penny Clarke

Two Barred Warblers and Pinkfeet arrival!

Arrived Holme Reserves at 9.15am.

Beautiful, sunny day but quite cold due to the NW winds. Had a good look round the back of the pines to have a final look for the Arctic Warbler, but no sign at all - Connor was also looking. A couple of goldcrests appeared, wren, usual tit flock, but not alot else. Walked round to observatory and had just sat myself down on the seat in the sunshine when Jed called out 'Barred Warbler' just in front of the Dell hide (just in front of 'Fred's Pool' as my father and I always called it affectionately, as Fred Britton built it). The Barred Warbler gave brief views through the gaps of the wood panels to right of the hide, but you can't photograph through these, so I dived into the hide to get the hot seat and I sat there from 11.00am when I first saw the Barred Warbler until 1.35pm - this paid off as I got some decent shots at 11.49am although all shots had annoying pieces of grasses/reed in front of the bird! Lots of Coal Tits and Goldfinches on the Feeders, several chaffinches, hedge sparrows, a moorhen and a pheasant added to the scene. My first skein of Pinkfeet arrived in blue skies flying east at 12.35pm as I sat in the hide. The warbler seemed to disappear, so I gave up waiting for better shots and walked round to the observatory where a lady called Jo alerted me to 7 Common Buzzards circling round in the blue skies at 1.40pm. Photographed a beautiful Migrant Hawker by the Obs. pond.

Walked back to NOA carpark via The Firs to say hello to Pat and buy a bar of NWT chocolate! Bumped into Dave Holman who had come to look for the Barred Warbler.

Redwell Marsh Hide - nothing at all of note apart from a few Teal and a Hare - in fact I have never seen so little here!

Visited to my parents and was kindly given apples and tomatoes from the garden. No phone signal here at all, so didn't realise until I got a few miles along the coast road that there was a Barred Warbler at Warham. Trundled along (well kind of!) the A149 and parked at Stiffkey Campsite carpark and recognised several familiar cars here! On route to Stiffkey I observed several skeins of Pink footed geese. Made my way west along the path to approx. 100 yards past the whirlygig to find a handful of birders including Eddie M. and Carl C. watching a VERY elusive Barred Warbler - the light was shockingly bad now BUT I very luckily got some record shots! Every so often it would pop out to eat some elderberries and then dive back in to the thickest part of the bush! Saw it intially at around 5.15pm and then very good views at around 5.50pm.

Cley Coastguards with other regulars for a last minute seawatch just in case a Fea's Petrol flew past!!!! (Ha ha!) Nothing was seen apart from a few terns going west. Enjoyed the last of my chocolate and a sandwich.

Arrived home 8.45pm.

Pictures of Barred Warblers etc on blog.

Best Wishes Penny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7789-web.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	284404  

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Saturday 18th September 2010 at 23:43.
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 21:25   #9710
petehasset

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteh View Post
I spent about 3-4 hours at Holme today and there was no sign. Lots of people were looking too.
nice views of a sooty shearwater at cley this afternoon
Old Saturday 18th September 2010, 23:40   #9711
Fow

Pec Sand at Cley 1420hrs. Nice to get informed after 9pm. Good work fellas.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 06:27   #9712
firstreesjohn

It's NOT a gibbet !

Please see my post #7092, for an explanation:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...postcount=7092

After years of unrelenting effort, I seem to have 'educated' at least one of the bird information service providers.

On my way back from an unsuccessful search for the Purple Sandpiper on the seafront at Sheringham (people cavorting on its rocks), I took this self-portrait. It's one of the interesting murals, with local themes. I’m sure it couldn’t have been painted without a degree of tongue in the artist’s cheek: his name is Colin Seal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001psesm.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	284417  
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 07:10   #9713
firstreesjohn

Croc in Blakeney ? !

Yes, I spotted this, on the small pond just north of the kissing gate at the west entrance to Friary Hills NT.

I can’t recall having seen one there previously, so close to people and their illegally-marauding canines. Perhaps a certain ‘resident of Blakeney’ could inform us otherwise (?).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	025sm.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	284418  
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 08:30   #9714
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fow View Post
Pec Sand at Cley 1420hrs. Nice to get informed after 9pm. Good work fellas.
On behalf of everyone at Cley (I know, I shouldn't really), my sincerest apologies. To think people were too busy birding yesterday, in conditions ripe for an arrival of a few Pec Sand. Whatever next. I suppose I am guilty here too, I was too busy down the patch, looking for one.
Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited by jimbob : Sunday 19th September 2010 at 08:34.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 16:02   #9715
firstreesjohn

Not a Barred tick for Gramboro’

Although not the only Dakota I’ve seen over The Hill, it’s definitely the first one with WW2 markings- USAF.

At last ! The Stiffkey Barred Warbler gave itself up- and was even on view as I arrived. This makes a change from the previous sightings this year, mainly of tails flying away. It also seemed reasonably unconcerned about some quite loud chit-chat; not a new race of Saxicola !

Otherwise, Red Admirals continued to spring up from most sheltered tracks that I drove down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	068sm.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	284517  Click image for larger version

Name:	045psesm.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	284518  
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 16:44   #9716
dendroica

4 Lapland Buntings, 120+ Black-tailed Godwits and 60 Golden Plover in fields SW of Wells caravan park this afternoon - the Laps flew NE. Also several hundred Pinkfeet and many small groups dropping in all the time...

Last edited by dendroica : Monday 20th September 2010 at 08:04.
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 18:15   #9717
JD.1

that same dakota passed over my house about 4ish pity the barred warbler didnt
Old Sunday 19th September 2010, 21:37   #9718
Fow

Jimbob. I was indeed at cley yesterday (as per normal at the weekend), at the time the pec was claimed. There was several birders about and i cant believe if anyone saw the bird they would not pass on info to other birders there at the time. I know for sure if any of the Cley birders had seen it, the message would've got out much sooner.
Old Monday 20th September 2010, 00:14   #9719
Songkhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstreesjohn View Post
Yes, I spotted this, on the small pond just north of the kissing gate at the west entrance to Friary Hills NT.

I can’t recall having seen one there previously, so close to people and their illegally-marauding canines. Perhaps a certain ‘resident of Blakeney’ could inform us otherwise (?).
i think its a Cormorant, John
Old Monday 20th September 2010, 16:15   #9720
Paul Eele

Titchwell September 20th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - 1 briefly on fresh marsh med afternoon before flying east
Little stint - 4 on fresh marsh
Lapland bunting - 8 on fresh marsh but very elusive
Hen harrier - probable ringtail hunting over saltmarsh at Thornham Point late morning only

Paul
Old Monday 20th September 2010, 20:54   #9721
Penny Clarke

Abbey Farm, Flitcham

After a 'Monday' at work I needed to escape!

Arrived at Abbey Farm Hide at Flitcham at 6.35pm.

Not too much about really, but I counted exactly 40 moorhens on site! The usual mallards, coots, egyptian geese, pheasant, robin, a few hirundines etc. Then things really started to hot up! A marsh harrier came into roost in the semi darkness and several bats appeared. I had the camera in my hand with the wide angle lens attached, messing about taking rubbish landscape shots, when suddenly a little owl landed on the big fat post no more than 20 yards in front of me!!! I froze. Wow - it was awesome to watch it this close! There I was with the bl**dy landscape lens on the camera and the 300mm sat neatly in the camera bag - hmmmm.... would I be lucky enough to swop it over?...... I moved soooo slowly - the owl then turned and fixed his eyes on mine and I just knew my luck was about to run out... the owl didn't even give me the chance to remove the lens, never mind attach the 300mm lens!!! The owl left the post! As Victor Meldrew says 'I don't believeeeeeee it!'

Its so frustrating now the evenings are getting shorter and shorter but it was certainly worth leaving the house for, even though I only had an hour of light - to see that little owl land on the post was definately the most magical moment of the day!'

Very Best Wishes Penny

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Monday 20th September 2010 at 20:57.
Old Tuesday 21st September 2010, 13:36   #9722
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

Apparently there's a hobby on the wensum by costessey at the moment. Seen from Marriotts way at 1pm catching dragonflies by one of my recorders.
Old Tuesday 21st September 2010, 19:22   #9723
Rob Smallwood

Have a friend in the Wells area at the moment. Which is the best way to approach the "whirligig" area, is it Stiffkey campsite and walk west?

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 21st September 2010, 20:19   #9724
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Smallwood View Post
Have a friend in the Wells area at the moment. Which is the best way to approach the "whirligig" area, is it Stiffkey campsite and walk west?
Hi Rob

Thats the way I walked at the weekend - not sure if its the best way though - you can go down one of the tracks before you get to Stiffkey, but I never know which one is the best one!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 22nd September 2010, 20:48   #9725
jimbob

Buckenham Marshes this evening. Wigeon, Peregrine and possible Hen Harrier can mean only one thing....winter birding folks!
A fuller account elsewhere.
Cheers,
Jim.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: