Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Tuesday 11th September 2007, 22:19   #1926
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Grrrrrrrr yes found out about this and 5 Leach's Petrels as well.
I can take a guess to who it possibly was, but am saying nothing on here!!!!!!

Watched two kingfishers in the Millfleet near Boal Quay Carpark in King's Lynn, in my lunch hour today.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 12th September 2007, 07:50   #1927
SueBryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dolton View Post
Dave, the real villain of the piece is the Norfolk Education Authority who force you (and me) to have six weeks off work in July and August. I suggest we start a campaign for this holiday to be moved to Sept/ oct!

I was hacked off yesterday, could have gone to coast after work but had previously arranged for someone to come around to sort out my errant TV aerial, waited in but he didn't show. Perhaps he'd gone to Sheringham.
Hi Peter and Dave

Could not agree more Peter!

I spent the day with an inspector in and then had a staff meeting at the end of the day for de-briefing. Why don't these daft people understand that us birders need to 'seize the day'. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sue

(4 Common Buzzards circling over my house on Saturday)
Old Wednesday 12th September 2007, 09:59   #1928
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Friday evening/Saturday morning looks promising for some half decent sea-watching...

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Wednesday 12th September 2007, 10:08   #1929
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley banwell View Post
so the moral of the story is just go whatever news there has or has not been on the pager as long as the weather is still good theres always a chance.
Ashley
Very true Ash

it does sound trite but it's still true

when we had that fantastic spell for migrants recently our village had Greenish, 2 Wrynecks, 3 RBS and Barred along with lost of commoner migrants. Only saw one other birder all day. It was geat.

Had the odd sight of two Wood Sands on sand in front of the reefs last night, Dark-bellied Brent goose (second rec of autumn after the four 10 days ago) and plenty of Gannets but very much a case of after ther Lord Mayors' Show

it was feeling a bit more 'migranty' though this morning...
Old Wednesday 12th September 2007, 12:51   #1930
Paul Eele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood View Post
it was feeling a bit more 'migranty' though this morning...
Tim

We used to have someone working at Titchwell who would say 'it feels birdy today' - normally it would be rubbish!!!

Paul
Old Wednesday 12th September 2007, 22:13   #1931
ashley banwell

[quote=Ruralchill;998176]Please ignore my rants if you are not interested in Norfolk listing!

Second hand news says that 'all the top Norfolk birders have now seen Great Shearwater in Norfolk

Maybe thats because they were birding long before pagers were on the scene and have got in the habit of going out when the conditions were good rather than sitting at home waiting for something to bleep

Ashley
Old Thursday 13th September 2007, 17:51   #1932
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
I can take a guess to who it possibly was, but am saying nothing on here!!!!!!
My thoughts exactly

Cheers,
Old Thursday 13th September 2007, 20:11   #1933
Connor Rand

possible Wilsons Phalarope/Marsh Sand Titchwell RSPB on freshmarsh from Parrinder Hide at dusk, may have been present since 5:00pm.

Anyone know any more about this?

Cheers,
Old Thursday 13th September 2007, 20:24   #1934
Paul Eele

Quote:
possible Wilsons Phalarope/Marsh Sand Titchwell RSPB on freshmarsh from Parrinder Hide at dusk, may have been present since 5:00pm.

Anyone know any more about this?

Cheers,
I hope it hasn't been there since five as no-one reported back to the visitor centre and the news only came out on the pager at 7:20! Unfortunatly we couldn't get to the reserve with enough light but someone will be going in early to check it out. Unfortunatly the reserve staff are sometimes the last people to hear about things.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow

Paul
Old Thursday 13th September 2007, 20:50   #1935
sacha

i was at Titchwell from 1300 to about 1600 - looked through all the waders! lots of nice stuff like the pec, curlew sands, 2 little stints...and lots and lots of Ruff..including some small yellow legged birds - Will be very annoyed if a Wilson's phal flew in an hour after i left!!! Lots of other birds moving through like 80 pink feet, 2 buzzard and out to sea 14 eider, red t diver etc etc....
Old Thursday 13th September 2007, 20:56   #1936
Penny Clarke

Fingers crossed indeed!!! I have to work until 1.30pm and by the time I get there the carparks will be overflowing no doubt!!!!!!

After work had to go to Currys on at Hardwick, King's Lynn and had two fantastic bird sightings: 44 pink footed geese, flying in a V making their way towards the wash!!! and amongst the trees in Tesco's carpark the sky was full with pied wagtails coming into roost!!!!! I couldn't begin to count them, complete guess here, but at least a hundred!!!

A friend birding at Titchwell today had 5 buzzards go west (towards Holme) and my mother had about 30 pinkfeet this morning over Holme.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Thursday 13th September 2007, 22:14   #1937
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Hi all,

We've geese in the east too; 46 Pink's flew over Happisburgh at c.6pm headed towards the broads. Had a Chiffy in the garden too and 4 Yellow Wagtails briefly landed in nearby Poplars before flying west....

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Friday 14th September 2007, 08:52   #1938
ben_lewis

No sign of wilsons phal/marsh sand this morning, people are looking so if its out there it will get seen (and hopefully reported!). A very vague description has been passed through a few people, but nothing given to clench the ID of this bird.
Old Friday 14th September 2007, 19:42   #1939
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_lewis View Post
No sign of wilsons phal/marsh sand this morning, people are looking so if its out there it will get seen (and hopefully reported!). A very vague description has been passed through a few people, but nothing given to clench the ID of this bird.
the vague discription I heard could have been almost anything (greenshank or spotshank sprung to mind), it will be interesting to see if the photos that were apparently taken of it can confirm anything. Still 5+ curlew sand, 2 little stint and the pec made for a nice day.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 14th September 2007, 20:03   #1940
dan pointon
Can't Stop

Just a heads up on possible developing conditions - Wednesday, very strong Ns all day Tuesday and then NWs on Wed, could be decent seawatching wise. Second bite of the cherry for some.....?

D
Old Saturday 15th September 2007, 13:42   #1941
Karl J

couldn.t get too enthused over 2 Meadow Pipits & a Jackdaw down the local beach first thing so took a ride down to yarmouth sea front and back, which is just about the limit these days of my self-propelled travel. I have wondered bfore on the potential of the beach and the abandoned land either side of the touristy sea front - after all anything that lands in the cemetary and becomes a major twitch surely has to fly over here first (well it sounds logical to me, anyway)

Anyway nothing particularly noteable i guess, but a couple of Redwing turned up around the boating lake, a few birders / people with bin's down near the new harbour development looked quite intent on something but i was in need of the nearby tea stall & a sit down so never stopped. A couple of Med Gulls sitting on the sea near the old harbour entrance (i think? ...weren't easy to tell with the sunlight) amongst a good few Black-headed gulls. reasonable sized flock of Starling around the harbour development site with some Linnets & Greenfinch dotted about too. All in all quite a reasonable couple of hours.

bacon rolls - 50p - off the stall opposite the Quayside Tavern

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 15th September 2007, 15:10   #1942
Mark43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl J View Post
bacon rolls - 50p - off the stall opposite the Quayside Tavern
Now that's what i call a bargain Karl
Old Saturday 15th September 2007, 16:46   #1943
Paul Eele

Fantastic day for pink foot passage at Titchwell and I expect all along the coast with birds coming over the wash all day. 2,005 birds east over and past the reserve during 7.5hrs watching during the day. The snow goose that had been tracked down the east coast passed offshore with 51 pinks at 15:20.
On the lagoons, pec sand present until 07:00 only, 4 little stints, 5 curlew sands, 10 spotshanks and 1400 knot roosting over high tide. 5 common buzzards west and a hobby.
Late news of 2 purple sands on the beach on wednesday.

Paul
Old Saturday 15th September 2007, 17:27   #1944
Connor Rand

Saw the Snow Goose from the A149 at Holkham at about 4:15pm. Will post sightings from Holme and Salthouse later this evening or tommorow as have to go out.

Cheers,
Old Saturday 15th September 2007, 21:41   #1945
NoSpringChicken

The river was very high at Strumpshaw today and had flooded the path in several places beyond the Tower hide making progress a bit difficult. Five Snipe provided a bit of extra interest from that hide but on the way to the Fen hide we saw two Kingfishers flying together along one of the dykes.

From the Fen hide we had more sightings of a Kingfisher which kept disappearing and reappearing. There was a nice little Green Sandpiper in front of the hide and three Marsh Harriers in the sky at the same time were very entertaining.

The fine weather made it a very enjoyable afternoon.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 16th September 2007, 13:25   #1946
Connor Rand

As promised sightings for yesterday.

Holme NOA 8:55am-9:25am 26 Razorbill, 3 Arctic Skuas west, 31 Mallard east, 2 Great-crested Grebes east, 9 Sandwich Terns, 1 Great Skua west, 250+ Gannets, 2 Guillemots, 200+ Pink-footed Geese, 40 Comorants, 5 Red-throated Divers, 1 prob Puffin east, 8 Shoveler east, 62 Common Scoter, 5 auk sp., 16 Wigeon, 1 Diver sp. west, 1 Teal west and 3 Common Terns, 1 Fulmar west.

Holme NOA 10:30am-11:00pm 1 Pomarine Skua (pale phase adult) west, 1 Great Skua west, 8 Razorbill, 1 Arctic Tern west, 2 Red Throated Divers

Salthouse 3:00pm-3:30pm 10 Little Gulls east, 1 (pale phase) Arctic Skua east, 12 Razorbills, 1 Arctic Tern west, 1 Red Throated Diver east, 5 auk sp.

Also seen yesterday:

2 Common Buzzards, 3 Hobbys, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Blackcap at Holme NOA

Snow Goose at Holkham at 4:15pm from A149
Old Sunday 16th September 2007, 20:25   #1947
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Had some great fun tracking this down this afternoon at Holkham ..no sign of the Spoonbill though (which was what I really wanted!)

Also three hobby were seen, oh and the Pinkfeet!!

Matt

...abysmal record shot of the Snowgoose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holkham pines 019 (Custom).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	104754  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 16th September 2007, 20:32   #1948
dbradnum

Just a quick recommendation for the Barred Warbler at Winterton - saw the bird this morning, and you'd never see one better! Morning is the time to visit, when the sun is on the bank of the valley. Favoured area is roughly between the St Georges cross flag and the path up the slope just south of here. It showed very well at times feeding in a patch of hawthorn and bramble just beside this path.

Apart from this, the two Pec Sands at Hickling Rush Hills and a single Sooty Shear off Waxham yesterday evening were good.

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 16th September 2007, 22:19   #1949
Penny Clarke

Quote:
As promised sightings for yesterday.

Holme NOA 8:55am-9:25am 26 Razorbill, 3 Arctic Skuas west, 31 Mallard east, 2 Great-crested Grebes east, 9 Sandwich Terns, 1 Great Skua west, 250+ Gannets, 2 Guillemots, 200+ Pink-footed Geese, 40 Comorants, 5 Red-throated Divers, 1 prob Puffin east, 8 Shoveler east, 62 Common Scoter, 5 auk sp., 16 Wigeon, 1 Diver sp. west, 1 Teal west and 3 Common Terns, 1 Fulmar west.

Holme NOA 10:30am-11:00pm 1 Pomarine Skua (pale phase adult) west, 1 Great Skua west, 8 Razorbill, 1 Arctic Tern west, 2 Red Throated Divers

Salthouse 3:00pm-3:30pm 10 Little Gulls east, 1 (pale phase) Arctic Skua east, 12 Razorbills, 1 Arctic Tern west, 1 Red Throated Diver east, 5 auk sp.

Also seen yesterday:

2 Common Buzzards, 3 Hobbys, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Blackcap at Holme NOA

Thats a lot more than I saw on Saturday Connor!!!!!

Didn't get to Cley until 1.30pm, saw 3 razor bills, few terns flying along, snooze on Cley beach and an Adder basking on steps at Walsey Hills, which I got a fab picture of with my new (1st digi) Nikon P5000 camera!!!! Have not learn't how to get it on computer yet, let along post it here, but will when I have time!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Monday 17th September 2007, 07:56   #1950
SueBryan

A late afternoon walk on Roydon Common produced 2 Woodlark, 4 Stonechats, 2 Marsh Harrirers and a Common Buzzard. The Marsh Harrier was not pleased to see the Buzzard as it mobbed it in the glorious evening sunlight!
Sue
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: