Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Monday 17th September 2007, 08:31   #1951
Edward woodwood

Barred Warbler Winterton fri evening was simply stunning

Sea Palling
Sat:
Pom Skua
Puffin
2 Bonxie
100 Pinkfeet
Lots of Little Gulls
Reed Warbler
Cettis Warbler

Sun
300 Pinks
loads of Cranes
2 Arctic Skua
10 Little Gulls
Many auks incl several Razorbills
numbers of starlings and gulls building up
Sooty Shearwater
Gannets moving in good numbers
Lesser Whitethroat

This morning:
Pinks over the house
4-5 Yellow Wags
Avocet

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Monday 17th September 2007 at 13:54.
Old Monday 17th September 2007, 08:56   #1952
NoSpringChicken

I'm interested to hear about the Snow Goose. I know it's the wrong county but we were in Minsmere's North hide last night as it was beginning to get dark and noted the single white goose in amongst scores of what we took to be Greylag Geese. I didn't take too much notice as I assumed it was an escapee or domestic (it probably was) but I wish I'd paid a bit more attention now.

I must try to get the hang of this bird watching game some time.

Ron

Last edited by NoSpringChicken : Monday 17th September 2007 at 08:59.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th September 2007, 11:57   #1953
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

I was at minsmere last weekend (9th-10th) and there was a white domestic goose in among the greylags, so I wouldn't worry.
Old Monday 17th September 2007, 12:05   #1954
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarassedDad View Post
I was at minsmere last weekend (9th-10th) and there was a white domestic goose in among the greylags, so I wouldn't worry.
Thanks. After a day of Bitterns, Curlew Sandpipers, Marsh Harriers and Hobbies it didn't look very impressive anyway.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 17th September 2007, 20:26   #1955
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Another Hobby sighting in Happisburgh this afternoon as one chased (unsuccessfully) a House Martin over the garden; it then headed south. As I type the wind is getting up and veering toward the north. Can't wait to leave work in the morning, it's starting to feel quite birdy ...

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 09:05   #1956
Edward woodwood

last night:

5 Manx passing close in
5 Arctic
Bonxie
c. 30 auks both Razors and guillies
c. 30 Little Gulls
1 Artcic Tern
lots of Sandwich, Common, Gannets etc

This morning only managed a short watch but Sooties and Manx etc

good numbers of Sooties and 2 Purple Sands reported half a mile up from Sea PAling at Eccles early today - might be worth checking the reefs if anyone wants to see Purps for a yearlist of something daft like that.

Interesting to see a Stormy and a Leach's past Cley at the same time this morning... ha ha ha...
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 09:52   #1957
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Seawatching this morning from Cley north beach carpark (you can park on top of the bank now and seawatch from the car):

1 Sabine's gull
1 Leach's petrel
2 Balearic shearwater's
10 Manxie's
200+ sooty shearwaters
100+ little gulls
50 bonxies
12 arctic skuas
2 red-throated divers

Last edited by Ilya Maclean : Tuesday 18th September 2007 at 10:47.
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 12:17   #1958
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Just got a phone call from a mate, just found a Red Breasted Flycatcher at Sea Palling, 200 yds north of beach road..

Also 2 Sooty Shearwater and four Great Skua out on the sea

If it wasn't for a bluddy driving lesson this morning I would have been up there with him ....**** it!

Matt

Last edited by matt green : Tuesday 18th September 2007 at 12:42.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 13:04   #1959
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt green View Post
Just got a phone call from a mate, just found a Red Breasted Flycatcher at Sea Palling, 200 yds north of beach road..

Also 2 Sooty Shearwater and four Great Skua out on the sea

If it wasn't for a bluddy driving lesson this morning I would have been up there with him ....**** it!

Matt
on RBA as 'reported' and not seen since...

Tim

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Tuesday 18th September 2007 at 15:44.
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 16:24   #1960
postcardcv
Super Moderator

anyone know anything about the phalarope sp seen at Titchwell today?

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 17:16   #1961
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Grey or Red-necked Phalarope Titchwell RSPB in NE corner of Freshmarsh viewable from main path at 12:20pm tho distant.

Will be doing a sea-watch of Hunstanton cliffs this eveing, will post results later.

Cheers,
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 17:25   #1962
J Moss

F*** sake, I thought I did ok with seawatching this afternoon. Then I read what you guys have seen!

1200 - 1300, Salthouse.

1 Razorbill on sea
3 Auk sp west + 1 east
6 Little Gulls east
3+ Cormorants west
2 Gannets west + 4 east (mostly juvs)
17 Wigeon west
5 Brent Geese west
c55 Common Scoter west
1 prob. Red Breasted Merg. east

And again 1400 - 1530

5 Razorbills on sea
3 auk sp. west
2 Gannets east + 2 west
1 Red Throated Diver west
3 Teal west
5 Wigeon west
1 prob. Arctic Tern west
1 Dark Arctic Skua west
1 juv. commic
13 prob. Pink Feet

and 1 massive female Peregrine chasing a Redshank along the beach, which was pretty quality.

Turnstones, Ringed Plovers, a Knot and Redshanks on the scrapes.

Oh yeah, and it was cold!

Jason
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 18:16   #1963
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
F*** sake, I thought I did ok with seawatching this afternoon. Then I read what you guys have seen!

1200 - 1300, Salthouse.

1 Razorbill on sea
3 Auk sp west + 1 east
6 Little Gulls east
3+ Cormorants west
2 Gannets west + 4 east (mostly juvs)
17 Wigeon west
5 Brent Geese west
c55 Common Scoter west
1 prob. Red Breasted Merg. east

And again 1400 - 1530

5 Razorbills on sea
3 auk sp. west
2 Gannets east + 2 west
1 Red Throated Diver west
3 Teal west
5 Wigeon west
1 prob. Arctic Tern west
1 Dark Arctic Skua west
1 juv. commic
13 prob. Pink Feet

and 1 massive female Peregrine chasing a Redshank along the beach, which was pretty quality.

Turnstones, Ringed Plovers, a Knot and Redshanks on the scrapes.

Oh yeah, and it was cold!

Jason
Early morning's always best, although sometimes late afternoon/early evening can be good. Never seen so many sooty shears in one go before as this morning, although most were far out. Hardly anything in Bay of Biscay when I was over there a couple of weeks ago. Must all be coming here, as the 100s of Great Shears reported of Lewis and the double figures in Norfolk would suggest.

Unfortunately not looking that great for seawatching or an east coast fall until at least after next weekend, unless that messy system of lows moves east over the North Sea rather than just west of Iceland. Might be a fairly good northward movement of stuff off the east coast today and tomorrow still though.

Would be interested to know what others think. I always recon that in a strong NW, doing seawatching off the North Norfolk Coast is best first thing in the morning, but the east coast can be productive later on with a northward movement of stuff that's been pushed into the bit between here and Holland.
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 19:08   #1964
Paul Eele

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
anyone know anything about the phalarope sp seen at Titchwell today?
The bird was reported as phalarope sp but distant on the fresh marsh. we went down to check it out and it was still present but very distant in the NE corner. With the heathaze so bad it was not possible to definatly ID the bird but my gut feeling was probably a red-necked. Unfortunatly it didn't hang around and was gone when I got there with a guided walk and hour later.
2 little stints and 2 curlew sands still present and a poss sooty shear reported this morning.
Hopefully there will be some lingering seabirds as I am planning to spend my day seawatching off the reserve!

Paul
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 20:12   #1965
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Would be interested to know what others think. I always recon that in a strong NW, doing seawatching off the North Norfolk Coast is best first thing in the morning, but the east coast can be productive later on with a northward movement of stuff that's been pushed into the bit between here and Holland.
I think it really depends on the day Ilya. Sometimes the movement starts early and continues, other times if there's a shift to a more favourable wind direction the sea can change from being 'dead' to 'alive with birds' much later in the day. But I guess you're already aware of this. Your theory certainly makes sense to me though and many a time I've witnessed seabird movement the day following adverse weather conditions; birds that have been blown into the southern North Sea re-orienting NW (and toward Scotland/the Atlantic) it seems rather than continuing south and through the English Channel. Some of this may be evident early tomorrow for those able to have a look.

I spent from 6:30 - 08:00am in the car at Walcott as it was just too wet to sit in the dunes. Not ideal as my little Rover was rather wind buffeted at times. Had some really close Sooty Shearwaters through (11west), a couple of Manx, 4 Bonxies E, 4 Arctic Skuas E and small numbers of Little Gull, Kittiwake and Gannet.

Don't know if it was the same one as yesterday, but a Hobby shot through over fields here at about 6pm this evening...

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!

Last edited by Happisbirder : Tuesday 18th September 2007 at 22:01.
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 20:39   #1966
Reader

As you know Dave I missed out on the Barred Warbler after searching for nigh on 3 hours for it and after meeting you on the way to the Rush Hill Scrape I missed the Pec Sands as well by about three minutes. A Sparrowhawk, plus a Hobby (poss the one you and I saw) flushed them and they hadn't returned nigh on two hours later.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradnum View Post
Just a quick recommendation for the Barred Warbler at Winterton - saw the bird this morning, and you'd never see one better! Morning is the time to visit, when the sun is on the bank of the valley. Favoured area is roughly between the St Georges cross flag and the path up the slope just south of here. It showed very well at times feeding in a patch of hawthorn and bramble just beside this path.

Apart from this, the two Pec Sands at Hickling Rush Hills and a single Sooty Shear off Waxham yesterday evening were good.
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 20:51   #1967
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Well off Hunstanton cliffs this evening in c.40 mins:

1 Manx Shearwater west, 2 Arctic Skuas west, 5 Great Skuas west, 4 Kittiwakes, 2 Fulmars, 30 Gannets.

Cheers,
Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 21:08   #1968
J Moss

Makes sense to me. It's just that my bed is soo warm at 7 am that its hard to get out. However I think I'll make the effort tommorow morning and hit Salthouse again.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Early morning's always best, although sometimes late afternoon/early evening can be good. Never seen so many sooty shears in one go before as this morning, although most were far out. Hardly anything in Bay of Biscay when I was over there a couple of weeks ago. Must all be coming here, as the 100s of Great Shears reported of Lewis and the double figures in Norfolk would suggest.

Unfortunately not looking that great for seawatching or an east coast fall until at least after next weekend, unless that messy system of lows moves east over the North Sea rather than just west of Iceland. Might be a fairly good northward movement of stuff off the east coast today and tomorrow still though.

Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 22:04   #1969
dbradnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
As you know Dave I missed out on the Barred Warbler after searching for nigh on 3 hours for it and after meeting you on the way to the Rush Hill Scrape I missed the Pec Sands as well by about three minutes. A Sparrowhawk, plus a Hobby (poss the one you and I saw) flushed them and they hadn't returned nigh on two hours later.

John
Sorry to hear about the Pecs, John - blame my gossiping! Now it sounds like the Barred Warbler has gone as well, so there's even less in the county aside from seabirds offshore.

edit: that sounds a bit harsh, on reflection... there's still loads of good stuff to see, just not the range of scarcities and rarities you'd hope for in the county in autumn. Plenty that I'd give my right arm for down in London, for sure!

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th September 2007, 22:17   #1970
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

Breydon water this afternoon I had a very inexperienced hobby desperately trying (and failing) to catch a dunlin. It made six passes without result before heading off upstream in a huff. Interestingly, on the first pass it put up everything, on the second and third the redshank and avocets ruffled their wings but stayed put, and after that they resolutely ignored it even when it passed close overhead. The dunlin on the other hand, were legging it like crazy every time it stooped. So did the redshank work out they were too big for it, or that it was just rubbish at catching anything?

First day in ages I felt like I needed gloves - cold wind blowing. Guess summer's well and truely over.
Old Wednesday 19th September 2007, 08:28   #1971
Edward woodwood

Hobby through Sea Palling this morning

no further sign of the RBF y'day after the initial report

maybe the reason fewer birds are being reported is that there are fewer people being arsed to look and instead just waiting for the pager to go off. You know, the regular faces that only appear when there's something to be seen. Quite a lot is seen over here in east Norfolk but it's not always reported to the news services for perhaps this reason.

Give it a go, at the worst you'll have had a pleasant stroll out
Old Wednesday 19th September 2007, 12:13   #1972
J Moss

Salthouse, 0830ish

3 Red Throated Divers
Loads of Gannets
12 Bar Tailed Godwits
1 Auk sp
5+ Razorbills
1 prob. Black Throated Diver

Nothing special, bar the prob black throated diver, which would be a lifer if I was 100%. Still, makes me look foreward to when the seawatching gets good. Never had a good seawatch before, lol!

Jason
Old Wednesday 19th September 2007, 12:56   #1973
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
Salthouse, 0830ish

3 Red Throated Divers
Loads of Gannets
12 Bar Tailed Godwits
1 Auk sp
5+ Razorbills
1 prob. Black Throated Diver

Nothing special, bar the prob black throated diver, which would be a lifer if I was 100%. Still, makes me look foreward to when the seawatching gets good. Never had a good seawatch before, lol!

Jason
Nice one. I'll try and post advance warnings when weather's looking good for seawatching or falls. I'm still learning, so don't always get it right.

BTW, not looking much use for either, with looking for American waders, probably the best option at the moment. Another Pec sand or White-rumped or Baird's the most likely candidates - somewhere on a north coast freshmarsh or Rush Hill, although it may be worth scanning the golden plover flocks as they build up for AGP. Kerry is clearly the place to be for all that rather than Norfolk though!

Failing that, also worth scanning the arriving Teal and Wigeon for Green-winged and American. Buckenham the best place to do this I reckon. Continental stuff from further south also a possibility. Southern or lesser grey shrike or GW Egret? Long-stayers such as fudge duck are always worth looking for. Black Brant should be in soon too.

Last edited by Ilya Maclean : Wednesday 19th September 2007 at 13:00.
Old Wednesday 19th September 2007, 15:31   #1974
andyrew

Had a few hours at Cley over lunchtime and it was deserted!! Only a few mallard and shoveler on the water with several teal. No raptors in sight but i did briefly catch a fem bearded tit zip over. Debated heading to burnham for the snow goose and spoonbill but decided against it. Back to stiffkey now for a cup of tea and a sit down by the river.

Should be much more exciting!!!

I shall probably head to holkham tomorrow on the hunt for snow buntings then into the woods for brambling, nuthatch and that bloody lesser spotted woodpecker by the monument that everybody's seen except me!!!
Old Wednesday 19th September 2007, 16:31   #1975
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrew View Post
I shall probably head to holkham tomorrow on the hunt for snow buntings then into the woods for brambling, nuthatch and that bloody lesser spotted woodpecker by the monument that everybody's seen except me!!!
Was then thinking it a little early for Snowbunts ..but just been listening to Birdline Eastanglia and one has been reported at Weybourne by the carpark.

Provided I don't wake up with a thick head in the morning I make make a go of those pesky Spoonbills around Burnham area ..if they're still around ..which they probly won't!

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: