Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Monday 24th September 2007, 19:01   #2026
Paul Eele

No sign of the dowitcher this evening but it has been going missing behind the islands and does fly onto the saltmarsh at times. 10 curlew sands, 5 little stints and 22 spotshanks on the fresh marsh and 6 marsh harriers roosted.
As a word of warning there may be some work happening on the fresh marsh this Friday (28th) which will cause some disturbance and maybe flush the dowitcher. It is weather dependant so if it is dry we will be cutting the islands from mid-morning. Not confirmed to go ahead yet but if you want to see the bird try and get here in the next few days.

Will keep you posted on this one

Paul
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 08:12   #2027
Edward woodwood

Couple of Arctic Skuas last night and shedloads of Gannets. Not a deal else apart from a snipe coming in-off and 19 Common Scoters.

Three Cranes this morning in a roadside field, in wonderful early morning sunlight, gave stunning views on the way to work.

Pinks are building up and getting noisier...
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 10:32   #2028
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
Well done Ilya - please predict some birds for my holiday next week and which days/times please!!!!!!! Sophie - AW at Holme also said Wednesday could be good for seawatching.

Best Wishes Penny
Can't predict much past the weekend, as weather forcasts don't stretch that far, but I'll have a bash fro the rest of this week, even though I'm away:-(

Starting to look very very interesting from this afternoon onwards onwards (ahhrrrr). Tomorrow early morning should be really good for seawatching, with overnight rain and strong NW rain. Couldn't recommend seawatching from Cley too highly. Bound to be a few long-tailed skuas still. The winds then switch from NW to NE, with high pressure over eastern Scandinavia / Russia, which should (fingers crossed) bring in a really decent fall of eastern stuff. Yellow-browed at Holkham should be bread and butter birding as should Wrynecks and Barred warblers. Dusky or Radde's likely (Wells Woods??) or an RB Fly at East Hills maybe, but the obvious prize is Lancy, PG tips or Sprosser on Blakeney Point. Might be worth scanning the pipits too!
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 11:39   #2029
Paul Eele

Good morning at Titchwell. The dowitcher is still present on the fresh marsh along with 5 little stints, 13 curlew sands, 20 spotshanks and 60 ruff. Little auk on the sea although looked ill, 2 lapland bunting hanging around the brackish marsh and a snow bunt over east.
Anybody know anything about the corys shears off here yesterday?
Just to remind everyone that there will be management work on the fresh marsh on Friday.

Paul
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 15:43   #2030
postcardcv
Super Moderator

a buff-breasted sand at Happisburgh today (according to birdguides) in field north east of lighthouse... no way I can get there for two days - damn.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 16:15   #2031
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Also on news services today: Redstart at Holme NOA + Manx Shearwater and Slav Grebe on sea, Black Tern still Pentney GP's.

Cheers
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 16:48   #2032
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
a buff-breasted sand at Happisburgh today (according to birdguides) in field north east of lighthouse... no way I can get there for two days - damn.
...the lighthouse you can see to the left of your monitor.......

Bit of a bummer that.......

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 18:01   #2033
J Moss

Really begining to look forward to tomorrow morning now. Any tips on what to swat up on for a bit of seawatching? Are storm petrels likely? Shearwaters? Waders? Passerines?

Jason
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 18:35   #2034
Geoff Pain
Rural Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootshoot View Post
...the lighthouse you can see to the left of your monitor.......

Bit of a bummer that.......

James
I can see the lighthouse but can't see the bird.

http://flickr.com/photos/126691646@N04
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 18:57   #2035
Happisbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
Really begining to look forward to tomorrow morning now. Any tips on what to swat up on for a bit of seawatching? Are storm petrels likely? Shearwaters? Waders? Passerines?

Jason
Hopefully will be skuas, shearwaters, chance of Sabines Gull (but beware Kittiwake!), Leach's more likely than Stormy... Look out for Puffin amongst the auks and although perhaps a little bit early, Little Auk; one reported on north coast today? Have a good watch.

Wouldn't expect too many wildfowl or waders nor passerines personally. SE Owl seen to come 'in off' near here recently though and NWlies can be good for Snow and Lap Bunt. If seabirds don't show, or numbers start to tail off (or you get bored!), it's got to be worth looking for American waders given that there's both sp. Yellowlegs, Buff-breast, Pec etc along the east coast today. There'll doubtless be some more...

James

Last edited by Happisbirder : Tuesday 25th September 2007 at 19:16.
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 19:22   #2036
Warder

Going to try for the Buff breasted Sand tomorrow before work. Will let you know how I get on.
Happy birding
Alan
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 20:07   #2037
J Moss

Thanks James.

Wont be bored anytime tomorrow, even if its just a few skuas. Shearwaters and petrels would make my week, as I've never had much luck with either (seen one Manx and one Sooty before. You have no idea how excited I was, lol!).

I've been swatting up on skuas, using Janes excellent guide in the id section. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up on some jizzy features, although I'm sure its all going to be very frustrating! Maybe I'll find myself a partner to tag along with if things get hectic!

Also been checking out the unusual shearwaters and Petrels. Dont think I've got any chance with the petrels, but shears might be ok. Hopefully wont see any rarities, cos I'll miss them!!!

Jason

Quote:
Hopefully will be skuas, shearwaters, chance of Sabines Gull (but beware Kittiwake!), Leach's more likely than Stormy... Look out for Puffin amongst the auks and although perhaps a little bit early, Little Auk; one reported on north coast today? Have a good watch.

Wouldn't expect too many wildfowl or waders nor passerines personally. SE Owl seen to come 'in off' near here recently though and NWlies can be good for Snow and Lap Bunt. If seabirds don't show, or numbers start to tail off (or you get bored!), it's got to be worth looking for American waders given that there's both sp. Yellowlegs, Buff-breast, Pec etc along the east coast today. There'll doubtless be some more...

James

Last edited by J Moss : Tuesday 25th September 2007 at 20:19.
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 20:18   #2038
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
Thanks James.

Wont be bored anytime tomorrow, even if its just a few skuas. Shearwaters and petrels would make my week, as I've never had much luck with either (seen one Manx and one Sooty before. You have no idea how excited I was, lol!).

I've been swatting up on skuas, using Janes excellent guide in the id section. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up on some jizzy features, although I'm sure its all going to be very frustrating! Maybe I'll find myself a partner to tag along with if things get hectic!

Also been checking out the unusual shearwaters and Petrels. Dont think Ive got any chance with the petrels, but shears might be ok Hopefully wont see any rarities, cos I'll miss them!!!

Jason
Good luck. Some of us will be stuck at school no doubt getting several text messages during the course of the day about how brilliant the sea-watching is Shame its to late for an after school run now... Some passerine at Holme on Saturday would be nice

Suppose its ok for some, those who have the week of anyway

bird pics gallery updated on my website, with pics of rare birds from this year

cheers

Last edited by Connor Rand : Tuesday 25th September 2007 at 20:52.
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 20:24   #2039
J Moss

Gutted Connor. I assume that there'll be more days like tomorrow to come though. Christmas hols, etc.
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 20:32   #2040
Happisbirder

Jason.......If you're going to Cley or Sheringham (probably the wisest choice) then you should find some seasoned sea-watchers that will hopefully put you onto stuff/help you out. Beware of some over zealous 'experts' though.... There have been times when I've watched in a blow from the shingle at Cley or in the shelters at Sheringham hearing cries of "Soot Shear.....!", "Cory's.....!", "Sabs.....!" etc. when all that's out there are Gannets and Kittis! You'll also learn to accept that there'll be distant or poorly seen birds that will have to go unID'd. All part of the fun though.

It's also a good idea to familiarise yourself with any 'seamarks' eg rigs, buoys, ships etc as these are often used as reference points when something is called out. Remember too that '12 o'clock' is straight out, left of this 11 o'clock, 10 o'clock... right 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc...

I'll be looking out for the pager reports...

James

Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 20:42   #2041
J Moss

Thanks again for the tips James. I'll be at Salthouse; dont reckon there'll be space at Sheringham. The tides meant to be a biggy tomorrow morning, so I think salthouse will be sort of out of the spray. I know what you mean about the 'experts'. I've experience with them before, and I'm a firm believer in coming to my own conclusions with these things. Any help doesn't go unheeded though. I'm not a stubborn man :P

Thanks

Jason
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 22:00   #2042
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Thanks again for the tips James. I'll be at Salthouse; dont reckon there'll be space at Sheringham. The tides meant to be a biggy tomorrow morning, so I think salthouse will be sort of out of the spray. I know what you mean about the 'experts'. I've experience with them before, and I'm a firm believer in coming to my own conclusions with these things. Any help doesn't go unheeded though. I'm not a stubborn man :P

Thanks

Jason
I will also be at Salthouse in the morning, see you there!!!

High Tide 6.30am.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 22:03   #2043
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Can't predict much past the weekend, as weather forcasts don't stretch that far, but I'll have a bash fro the rest of this week, even though I'm away:-(

Starting to look very very interesting from this afternoon onwards onwards (ahhrrrr). Tomorrow early morning should be really good for seawatching, with overnight rain and strong NW rain. Couldn't recommend seawatching from Cley too highly. Bound to be a few long-tailed skuas still. The winds then switch from NW to NE, with high pressure over eastern Scandinavia / Russia, which should (fingers crossed) bring in a really decent fall of eastern stuff. Yellow-browed at Holkham should be bread and butter birding as should Wrynecks and Barred warblers. Dusky or Radde's likely (Wells Woods??) or an RB Fly at East Hills maybe, but the obvious prize is Lancy, PG tips or Sprosser on Blakeney Point. Might be worth scanning the pipits too!
Thanks Ilya - I will look forward to seeing all these wonderful birds while you are away - Will be starting off with seawatching tomorrow at Coastguards, Cley and Salthouse. Holkham/Gunhill Thursday and Blakeney Point maybe Friday.

Cheers Penny
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 22:04   #2044
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Good luck. Some of us will be stuck at school no doubt getting several text messages during the course of the day about how brilliant the sea-watching is Shame its to late for an after school run now... Some passerine at Holme on Saturday would be nice

Suppose its ok for some, those who have the week of anyway

bird pics gallery updated on my website, with pics of rare birds from this year

cheers
Hi Connor - will keep you posted - picked a good week I think!!!???

Best Wishes Penny
Old Tuesday 25th September 2007, 22:19   #2045
Penny Clarke

Started off at Abbey Farm at Flitcham, where I saw very little, water was very high, few greylags, jackdaws. I could hear blackbirds, robin ticking furiously and a mistle thrush making a hell of a racket in trees behind but even with psssshhhing and various noises I couldn't shift what ever was in there!!!!

On the road just before Choosely I watched meadow pipits, greenfinches and yellow hammers bathing in puddles in a farm track near some setaside in the rain. Also 2 swallows skimming low over a stubble field. At Choosely - NOTHING, probably because several tractors were in the yard area.

Went on to Titchwell - carpark was packed out - which I was surprised at in the week - Long Billed Dowitcher still there and I saw it again in the sunshine but still very distant views. Surprise in the Island hide - in walked Norman Sills!!!!! Was going to go to Thornham Point, but a non birding friend who had come along too and had not listened to me, when I said they needed a warm/waterproof coat etc etc, turned up in a silly town coat - anyway after having lunch in the cafe in the pouring rain, the sun magically came out to give a glorious afternoon of usual waders etc, including, spotted redshanks, curlew sandpipers, knot, wigeon, avocets, herons, bearded tits, sparrow hawk, long tailed tits - 3 marsh harriers paraded in the sun. Loads of gannets, both adult and juvs gliding in the choppy sea, 3 eiders, terns and usual selection of waders on shore including ringed plover, sanderling scampering along the tide line, knot, oystercatcher etc etc. Very, very cold. Mind you its going to be colder early tomorrow morning!!!! and on that note - goodnight!!!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 07:32   #2046
Edward woodwood

nice Buff-breast at Happisburgh. Managed to be
first on the scene with another local and we managed to relocate the bird in the huge field after a few mins, the finder being on his way back frfom a phone box i think,with three Ringed Plover. A great bird in a very picturesque setting. Was almost flushed early on by an over eager type but a loud shout or two saved the day.

seawatching good this morning but had to leave for work before the really good stuff - a Leach's and a Sabs have been past the patch... hope there's still some stuff moving after work.

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Wednesday 26th September 2007 at 11:58.
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 11:47   #2047
J Moss

Home already from seawatch cos I couldn't see through the salt anymore, lol. Between 7:30 and 11:30 saw:

4 Manx Shearwaters
6+ Bonxies
2 Arctic Skuas
1 Black Throated Diver
1 Red " "
1 Little Gull
1 Kittiwake
1 Arctic Tern
1 Red Breasted Merganser

Also 1 Sooty Shearwater, 2 Arctic Skuas and 4 Little Gulls whilst I was having a piss. Sods law!

I'm happy with that haul. Not quite the 1000+ groups I read about, but that day will come, I'm sure.

Jason
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 12:44   #2048
Nikon Kid
Love them Sula Bassana

Look out for Puffin amongst the auks

I did not know you could see Puffin on the East Coast are they rare
or there all the time............

My Images http://www.pbase.com/canon_boy

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 13:40   #2049
Happisbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon Kid View Post
Look out for Puffin amongst the auks

I did not know you could see Puffin on the East Coast are they rare
or there all the time............

Puffins are scarce but regular autumn/winter visitors to Norfolk.

Couldn’t get to the sea until 09:40 and spent a fairly fruitless 50 mins watching it. 6 Little Gulls and 2 Red-breasted Mergansers being the highlights. Saw more with casual seaward glances later on; 3 Brents (my 1st this autumn), 2 Arctic Skua, Manx Shearwater and superb views of a Leach’s Petrel slowly heading west. I was about to get back in my car when news of one passing just south of here came on the pager; less than 10 mins later I was watching it!

Was very blustery on the lighthouse field but the Buff-breasted Sandpiper was eventually located (good spot Aylsham birder!) and gave good views, still with 3 Ringed Plovers; very pleasing to see in the home parish. Also 1-2 Wheatears and lots of Meadow Pipits on this field.

Walking the dog earlier there were 6 Chiffchaffs in sheltered sections along the lane so it seems that small stuff is dropping in. Should make for good birding when the wind decreases, there ought to be some good birds to be found. Get out there if you can...

James

Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 14:05   #2050
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Quote:
Was very blustery on the lighthouse field but the Buff-breasted Sandpiper was eventually located (good spot Aylsham birder!) and gave good views, still with 3 Ringed Plovers; very pleasing to see in the home parish. Also 1-2 Wheatears and lots of Meadow Pipits on this field.
Is this site easy to locate and get to, I may be going tomorrow with my two youngest in tow, so would need to be able to get to the bird with a pushchair!

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: