Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 15:17   #2051
Edward woodwood

yes postie - a bit muddy that's all

and windy!

(park in beach car park and walk across the road into the muddy field.)

Tim
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 17:12   #2052
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

On pager 10 Sabines Gulls past Holme NWT + 7 Long-tailed Skuas, 2 Grey Phalaropes, 1 Leach's Petrel as well as several Sooty Shearwaters and Manx Shearwaters, Bonxies (76) and Arctic Skuas. Similar stuff including 10 Sabs on pager for Titchwell.

Grey Phal rptd on Simmonds scrape at Cley NWT
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 17:14   #2053
Connor Rand

See that that on the NOA website that have thanked you Paul for letting them know about approaching Sabine's. Were they in one group?

Cheers
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 19:30   #2054
Connor Rand

2 Grey Phaloropes, Cley NWT on simmonds scrape this evening.

Cheers
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 20:02   #2055
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Managed to knock of work early and get down to Cley North carpark for some seawatching. Not as busy in terms of shearwaters as expecting, but still some stonking birds:

Between 16:45 and 18:20:

2 Sabine's gulls (1 ad + 1 juv) - great views! + possibly 2 more further out that I couldn't quite clinch
1 juv long-tailed skua
1 GN diver
1 sooty shearwater
1 probable grey phalarope flying W - kept disappearing behind waves:-(
20+ Bonxies
3 Arctic Skuas
c. 35 Little gulls
10+ Manxies
10+ red-throated divers
2 snow buntings (flew past on the beach)

Also 1 beach cafe in imminent danger of flooding, with waves occasionally breaking over the top of the now almost non-existant seawall!
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 20:49   #2056
Dave Hawkins
Dear diary, what a day it's been...

Smile

Hi Connor

Paul will be busy working out the day's totals on his dictaphone from a mega sea watch so I'll be cheeky and reply about the Sab's for him.

The Sab's were pretty well spread out between roughly 1030 and 1430. Though there was one mad 2 minute period when we had four!!

Best days sea watching I've had in a long time...I knew it was going to be a good day when I got out of the car at 7.15, looked up to see 3 Arctic skuas heading straight inland over my head!

Just wish I wasn't at work tomorrow....good luck to all you guys out there!!

Dave
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 20:56   #2057
Paul Eele

Talking

Thanks to the predictions from Ilya, I spent 6.5hrs staring at the sea with Dave Hawkins at Titchwell today and what a fantastic day we had.

Highlights included
Sabs gull 10 (all juvs)
Long tailed skua 3 juvs (including 1 over the platform and inland over the lagoons!!)
Bonxie 113 (including small flocks 3-5 birds over the platform)
Arctic skua 22
Kittiwake 153
manx shearwater 9
Sooty shear 5
Leach's petrel 2
Arctic tern 4
Fulmar 1
Pintail 24
Teal 64
Wigeon 45
Red throated diver 2

Unfortunatly no time to seawatch until next week but today should keep me going for a while.
Goood luck to anyone going out over the next few days

Paul
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 20:57   #2058
Paul Eele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post

Paul will be busy working out the day's totals on his dictaphone from a mega sea watch so I'll be cheeky and reply about the Sab's for him.

Dave
Dave

It look me 90 mins to get everything off the dictaphone and my eyes are not slightly wonky!!!

P
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 20:58   #2059
Paul Eele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawkins View Post

Dave
Dave

It look me 90 mins to get everything off the dictaphone and my eyes are slightly wonky!!!

P
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 21:08   #2060
Connor Rand

Thanks Paul and Dave

Cheers
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 21:56   #2061
Penny Clarke

Awesome Day

Got up silly time in morning and left King's Lynn 6.15am and arrived to a very blustery Cley Coastguards at 7am.

Front section of shelter was full, so I stood in the side section by myself until my friend Pete S. arrived at 7.45am. The sea looked exciting, massive waves crashing down on to the shingle. Had 5 razorbills, 9 bonxies, tons of gannets (stopped counting) both adults and juveniles. 1 kittiwake. Pete arrived and after that along with other birders saw 3 arctic skuas, 2 Manx shearwaters, 2 arctic skuas (1 pale faced), 1 Pom skua, 2 red throated divers, 2 little gulls, common terns, loads of teal and wigeon streaming past. I made the MASSIVE mistake of going to the loo and when I returned I had missed a bl**dy Leach's Petrol - unfortunately for Pete I didn't stop 'going on' about it for most of day and declared I wasn't leaving until I had seen one, just couldn't believe it!!!!!!!

On Cley marsh 28+ Golden Plover, pied wagtails, marsh harrier. Stayed here until about 11.30am and then went to Cley Spy to buy a new heavier tripod - as usual, extremely helpful, patient staff and excellent price.

Went back to Coastguards for sandwiches, tea etc and then heard there was a Grey Phalarope from Dawkes Hide. So parked cars nearby and had stunning views of the Grey Phalarope (2pm) along with 5 Little Stints and 3 Curlew Sandpiper.

Then we drove to Happisburgh to see a nice little bird a Buff Breasted Sandpiper!!!!! (3.40pm) which was teamed up with 3 Ringed Plover in a field, not far from the tearooms from the carpark by lighthouse - stunning views in sunshine and strong wind and also 2 beautiful marked Greenland Wheatears. Beautiful scenery this end of the coast.

Trundled back to Cley Coastguards for 2nd seawatch (my navigator got us lost and we ended up in North Walsham - god knows how that happened!!!!) Got back to Cley Coastguards for 5.20pm. Eddie Myers shouted out 'Sabines' as Pete and I were getting out of car and we raced over just in time to see what I think is my first Sabine's Gull!!!!! (Thank you very much Eddie) Went back to car to get scope and made a quick cuppa - the wind was incredible now and it was dangerous even opening the boot of car - if you let go of anything it was gone!!! Pete had to sprint after his sandwich box twice!!! I made my 2nd MASSIVE mistake of the day - stood my new tripod down (the legs were at the lowest level) and as I was putting on my 2nd woolly hat!!! - it flipped over, to break the screw thread section from the telescope - am gutted and will have to go straight to dear old Cley Spy tomorrow, the second they open to see what can be done - typical - peak migration coming up and no scope, really hope it can be resolved quickly - like tomorrow morning!!! So after this, just had to watch with bins. Saw flock of turnstones flash by, 2 arctic terns and 2 more Bonxies. I think Eddie M. had a Leaches half distance in what was now ferocious waves, but I couldn't pick it up. The sea when we left was spilling over the shingle!!!! and each tide until Saturday is higher each day!!! Saturday being the highest at 8.5 metres. Had quick cuppa and arrived home at 8.15pm.

Out again tomorrow - lets see what it brings

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 22:07   #2062
Helenelizabeth2
What?!?

Great day, Penny. Will and I were at Cley from about 12 till just after 3. Sorry we missed you. Similar sightings to you though no Sabine's for us and we had quite a few Sooty Shearwater and a group of 3 Long-tailed Skua. I only got such a short glimpse of a Leach's that I don't feel I can tick it. I'm hoping to get back again at the weekend - today was brilliant.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 22:38   #2063
J Moss

Glad everyone did well today. Gutted I didn't see/missed all the petrels/sabs/scarse skuas. I'm not bitter though

I hope to do much better tomorrow though. Gonna spend the whole day out on the coast (with some proper lense cleaning stuff!) and then spend the night on Blakeney point for an early friday morning. Will hopefully turn up something good.

Jason
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 22:39   #2064
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke
Trundled back to Cley Coastguards for 2nd seawatch (my navigator got us lost and we ended up in North Walsham - god knows how that happened!!!!) Got back to Cley Coastguards for 5.20pm. Eddie Myers shouted out 'Sabines' as Pete and I were getting out of car and we raced over just in time to see what I think is my first Sabine's Gull!!!!! (Thank you very much Eddie) Went back to car to get scope and made a quick cuppa - the wind was incredible now and it was dangerous even opening the boot of car - if you let go of anything it was gone!!! Pete had to sprint after his sandwich box twice!!! I made my 2nd MASSIVE mistake of the day - stood my new tripod down (the legs were at the lowest level) and as I was putting on my 2nd woolly hat!!! - it flipped over, to break the screw thread section from the telescope - am gutted and will have to go straight to dear old Cley Spy tomorrow, the second they open to see what can be done - typical - peak migration coming up and no scope, really hope it can be resolved quickly - like tomorrow morning!!! So after this, just had to watch with bins. Saw flock of turnstones flash by, 2 arctic terns and 2 more Bonxies. I think Eddie M. had a Leaches half distance in what was now ferocious waves, but I couldn't pick it up. The sea when we left was spilling over the shingle!!!! and each tide until Saturday is higher each day!!! Saturday being the highest at 8.5 metres. Had quick cuppa and arrived home at 8.15pm.

Out again tomorrow - lets see what it brings

Best Wishes Penny
Must have been too busy looking at the sea to see you Penny! I was in the white Peugeot 205 parked up on the sea wall. Glad you saw the sab gull. Was a bit worried as the people in the car next to me didn't see the first one that went by (the 5:25ish one was the second one I saw) and I was a bit worried that nobody else had seen it! Cracking birds though
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 22:57   #2065
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenelizabeth2 View Post
Great day, Penny. Will and I were at Cley from about 12 till just after 3. Sorry we missed you. Similar sightings to you though no Sabine's for us and we had quite a few Sooty Shearwater and a group of 3 Long-tailed Skua. I only got such a short glimpse of a Leach's that I don't feel I can tick it. I'm hoping to get back again at the weekend - today was brilliant.
Hi Elizabeth, sorry to have missed you too - FABULOUS day, hoping tomorrow will be just as good.

Have a good day's birding on Saturday.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 26th September 2007, 23:06   #2066
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Must have been too busy looking at the sea to see you Penny! I was in the white Peugeot 205 parked up on the sea wall. Glad you saw the sab gull. Was a bit worried as the people in the car next to me didn't see the first one that went by (the 5:25ish one was the second one I saw) and I was a bit worried that nobody else had seen it! Cracking birds though
I was standing the Salthouse side of the shelter - I did walk out once though and stood on shingle in desperation to see a Leaches!!!- you wouldn't have recognised me anyway, I had several layers of clothing on including khaki green coat with hood pulled over 2 wool hats and black waterproof trousers on over trousers and tights!!!!! - looked like the Michlin man today!!! - was determined not to get cold! Sadly I didn't have anywhere near the views that you had of the Sabines - hopefully tomorrow morning though
Old Thursday 27th September 2007, 08:31   #2067
Edward woodwood

more of the same today if the state of the sea off Sea Palling this morning is anything to go by...

good luck...

Tim
Old Thursday 27th September 2007, 08:43   #2068
postcardcv
Super Moderator

anyone know if the buff-breast is still there this morning? I'm just getting ready to head out but would like to know either way before setting off.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 27th September 2007, 10:23   #2069
andyrew

What a Morning!!!

What an excellent morning. Fed the chickens at eight then headed off to Cley. On the way out of Stiffkey, found the Snow Goose in a field of pinks by the bait diggers path. Got rather wet at Walsey Hills and even wetter at Cley.

Arrived at Dawkes Hide and got excellent views of Grey Phalarope, lots of Pinks, Lapwing, Golden Plover, 4 Little Stint, Curlew Sand and a rather unwell Fulmar on the BOardwalk outside the hide.

Back to work for ten o'clock and as i entered Stiffkey by Lord Buxton's Marshes a Sacred Ibis sailed over the car and settled right beside me.
"F#%*$!g Hell !!!" i shouted rather too loudly to myself in the car as i pulled over.

Suffice it to say, i was a little late for work!!!

Andy
Old Thursday 27th September 2007, 13:08   #2070
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

I do hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Sacred Ibis is almost certainly of suspect origin, being ringed and relatively tame. I suspect it’s the same one that has been frequently reported from Holkham freshmarsh and I had last weekend at Stiffkey. Always nice birds to see and nice one on the rest of the stuff though.
Old Thursday 27th September 2007, 14:26   #2071
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Managed an hour’s sea-watching from 6:15 this morning. The tide was well in and the cliffs here were taking quite a pounding; Happisburgh’s watery grave creeps ever closer! 5 Bonxies, 3 Little Gulls and a juv. Arctic Tern were noted and numbers of wildfowl and waders were well up on recent days. Most interesting sighting however goes to a group of 8 Grey Herons that first appeared on the horizon and came in before heading west over the village.

No time to look for the Buff-breast although I gather it’s still present today...

EDIT: Quality passerines are now starting to be found; Little Bunting & Yellow-browed Warbler (Wells Woods), Greenish Warbler (Holkham Pines) plus supporting cast of Redstart, Pied Fly Bramblings etc......

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!

Last edited by Happisbirder : Thursday 27th September 2007 at 15:15.
Old Thursday 27th September 2007, 15:28   #2072
Edward woodwood

Yellow-browed, Little Bunt GG Shrike today

time to get out there folks. I'm racing off home now for an evening's birding...

must be a good chance of a Richard's now as well...
Old Thursday 27th September 2007, 17:57   #2073
James Eaton
Trent Valley Crew

Hi all,

I'm stepping out of Derbyshire tomorrow for a day trip to the north Norfolk coast...haven't got any bird news services to check so would anyone be nice enough to suggest some locations? I will probably start off at Holkham and Wells and work my way through the pines to Meals house. Then visit Titchwell, Holme etc, haven't the time to venture to East Norfolk coast unfortunately

Ilya - Whats the seawatching looking like for tomorrow?

Thanks all, I will post my findings tomorrow night!

Website
Support the Oriental Bird Club, keeping those vagrants alive for you!
Old Thursday 27th September 2007, 18:04   #2074
postcardcv
Super Moderator

lots about today - great grey shrike at Thornham point, little buntings at Weybourne and Wells wood, yellow-brows at Wells wood, grey phal at Cley and a few sabines along the coast... no doubt there's more to come.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 27th September 2007, 18:13   #2075
Connor Rand

on the pager today:

Snow Goose- Still Holkham west of Lady Anneís Drive this morning, then Stiffkey.
Little Auk- 1+ Cley, 1 Scratby, 3 Holme NOA
Sabineís Gull- 3 Titchwell RSPB, 2 Holme NOA, 1 following tractor near Holme village, 1 Overstrand, 1 Cley, 1 Salthouse
Long-tailed Skua-2 Titchwell RSPB, 1 Overstrand, 1 Sheringham
Greenish Warbler- 1 Holkham Pines near of crossroads with tit flock though mobile.
Grey Phalarope- 1 Cley NWT on Simmondís, 1 Salthouse on sea, 1 Overstrand
Buff-breasted Sandpiper- 1 still Happisburgh on clifftops near lighthouse.
Rough-legged Buzzard- 1 in off sea at Great Yarmouth
Pied Flycatcher- 3 Great Yarmouth Cemetery, 1 Walsey Hills NOA, 1 Wells Wood
Redstart- 2 Great Yarmouth Cemetery, 1 Wells Wood
Little Bunting- 1 Wells Wood near pine plantation by track, 1 Weybourne trapped and ringed at Denmark House.
Yellow Browed Warbler- 1 Wells Wood near boating lake.
Brambling-many
Great Grey Shrike- 1 Thornham Point, just west of Titchwell RSPB, pos in off sea at Happisburgh

Sabinesís Gull y/day Pentney GPís (Black Tern + Arctic Tern still today)

phew! Today I had 1 Swift over Wisbech (know its just into Cambs...) and 2 Swallows over Dersingham

Also seems like plenty of finches and thrushes arriving at all locations up and down east coast with more to the north and south. Tomorrow should be good. grrr.....

Cheers
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: