Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Monday 1st October 2007, 19:23   #2126
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

I see there is a pic by Nikon Kid of one of the Bewick's Swans in the 'your birding day' galllery.

Cheers,
Old Monday 1st October 2007, 19:27   #2127
J Moss

Fantastic day at Holkham. The Subalpine was reported just as I entered the dunes on the Burnham side. Showed well on and off. Probably the smartest bird I'm gonna see in a long time. Also had a female Redstart near Washington hide, a juv. Hobby darting around throughout the day, the Snow Goose, and rounded the day off nicely with a Great Grey Shrike in the fields east of lady annes drive.

Jason
Old Monday 1st October 2007, 19:37   #2128
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrew View Post
red-necked phalarope at cley has just been eaten by a sparrowhawk...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenelizabeth2 View Post
Damn! I wanted that!
now Helen are you upset because you wanted to see the bird or because you wanted to eat it !?!

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st October 2007, 19:48   #2129
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Hey! Stop impersonating me.

I'm sorry you didn't see the SubAlp, Penny. And my view of the Blyth's sounds very similar to yours, Jason. I suppose it's pointless to hope that it hangs around until my day off.
Hi Helen - sorry!!!

Thanks Helen, I suppose if I was REALLY lucky it might hang around until Friday afternoon (I finish work at lunchtime) or Saturday!!!!!

Glad you ticked the Blyth's.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Monday 1st October 2007, 19:50   #2130
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Damn! I wanted that!
Ditto!
Old Monday 1st October 2007, 20:02   #2131
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood View Post
Well!

What a storming weekend.
Hard work, a long slog but great rewards. What a great place to live!
Hi Tim

Glad you had a brilliant weekend too.

When news of the Raddes broke, I thought that you might be the finder!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Monday 1st October 2007, 20:20   #2132
jimbob

Thought I would cram one more day in before my teaching post begins.
After a lecture I went straight to Cley, no sign of any Phalaropes (RIP) but Little Stints in abundance, a Curlew Sandpiper, few Avocet and a bird that looked suspiciously like the Dowitcher I encountered at Titchwell the week before, but it was only in view for 2 seconds so I couldnt be sure. A frustrating start, but good to be out again.
Pushed onto Burnham, and after a bit of a trek got the GG Shrike on route (my second in a week!) to the Subalpine Warbler, a real stunner and a new bird for me. Drove home as the Pink Feet flew in to roost, passed a small group of Redwing too. Great stuff.
Cheers,
Jim.
Old Monday 1st October 2007, 20:28   #2133
Warder

Had a choice today and limited time. Do I go to Cley first for the RN Phalarope and then to burnham for the Sub warbler, or the other way around. Well I decided on the SUB first as it was reported as being elusive and I didnt know exactly where to go. The Phalarope would surely have been an easier find at Cley to quickly call in on my way home depending on if I found the area graced by the Sub, and how quickly and well it showed.
Found the area quite quickly after enjoying great views of the GG Shrike. Got fantastic views of the Sub after about half and hours wait.
Called in at Cley as per the plan to learn that it had been bumped off by a sparrow hawk.
Ah well not the best decision I ever made. They have to eat to I suppose.
Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow. May have a poke about at Sea Palling or Gt Yarmouth cemetary.

Happy birding
Alan.
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 07:32   #2134
SueBryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warder View Post
Had a choice today and limited time. Do I go to Cley first for the RN Phalarope and then to burnham for the Sub warbler, or the other way around. Well I decided on the SUB first as it was reported as being elusive and I didnt know exactly where to go. The Phalarope would surely have been an easier find at Cley to quickly call in on my way home depending on if I found the area graced by the Sub, and how quickly and well it showed.
Found the area quite quickly after enjoying great views of the GG Shrike. Got fantastic views of the Sub after about half and hours wait.
Called in at Cley as per the plan to learn that it had been bumped off by a sparrow hawk.
Ah well not the best decision I ever made. They have to eat to I suppose.
Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow. May have a poke about at Sea Palling or Gt Yarmouth cemetary.

Happy birding
Alan.
According to the pager the Red-necked Phalarope is still there this morning.
Sue
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 10:08   #2135
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBryan View Post
According to the pager the Red-necked Phalarope is still there this morning.
Sue
Or maybe another.....

4 Bewicks Swans are in a recently harvested sugar beet field SW of Happisburgh this morning; perhaps the Titchwell birds heading for east Norfolk? Several Bramblings and thrushes including a fine male Ring Ouzel too...

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 10:25   #2136
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
Hi Tim

Glad you had a brilliant weekend too.

When news of the Raddes broke, I thought that you might be the finder!

Best Wishes Penny
Cheers Penny

bugger all this morning though!

trying to organise a curry night at the moment...
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 12:47   #2137
Helenelizabeth2
What?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
now Helen are you upset because you wanted to see the bird or because you wanted to eat it !?!

Only if it was Peanut Butter Kitkat flavour. I here it is still there today anyway so presumably the Sprawk ate something else.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 12:51   #2138
Helenelizabeth2
What?!?

Quote:
Hi Helen - sorry!!!

Thanks Helen, I suppose if I was REALLY lucky it might hang around until Friday afternoon (I finish work at lunchtime) or Saturday!!!!!

Glad you ticked the Blyth's.

Best Wishes Penny
I didn't tick the Blyth's. All I saw was a brown splodge - could have been anything. With views like that, how could anyone know that the bird they saw was the Blyth's and not a Dunnock moving about the same bush?

Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 12:59   #2139
Edward woodwood

Quote:
I didn't tick the Blyth's. All I saw was a brown splodge - could have been anything. With views like that, how could anyone know that the bird they saw was the Blyth's and not a Dunnock moving about the same bush?
respeck to you for that... not sure many will be as conscientious though.

amazing how few people bothered to look for stuff at the weekend, instead just relying on their pagers and going from bird to bird.

Sabs, 2 Y-br, Red-backed, Great Grey and a Radde's in a small stretch of coast makes you wonder what might have been about had more people been looking
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 16:33   #2140
J Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
and rounded the day off nicely with a Great Grey Shrike in the fields east of lady annes drive.
Make that a Lesser Grey Shrike :P Woops. Saw it today though (dont know how I could have missed that :o) Also saw the Yellow Browed Warbler at Titchwell. It flew into willows just off the main path, near the fen path. It appeared to be with the tit flock. Very nice, bright bird.

Jason
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 16:41   #2141
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
Make that a Lesser Grey Shrike :P Woops. Saw it today though (dont know how I could have missed that :o) Also saw the Yellow Browed Warbler at Titchwell. It flew into willows just off the main path, near the fen path. It appeared to be with the tit flock. Very nice, bright bird.

Jason
Was it definitely yesterdays great grey that's been re-ID'd as lesser grey or might there be two birds. Given the number of great grey's around in the last few days I was assuming there was one there yesterday and that the lesser today was a new bird.

Either way it's a very nice bird, I'm hoping it hangs around as I could only spend 15 minutes watching it today and would like to spend some more time with it.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 16:48   #2142
J Moss

99% certain. It was in exactly the same place today as it was last night. Would like to say that I would have noticed the difference if it was a different bird today, but I probably wouldn't lol.
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 16:51   #2143
Helenelizabeth2
What?!?

Quote:
respeck to you for that... not sure many will be as conscientious though.

amazing how few people bothered to look for stuff at the weekend, instead just relying on their pagers and going from bird to bird.

Sabs, 2 Y-br, Red-backed, Great Grey and a Radde's in a small stretch of coast makes you wonder what might have been about had more people been looking
Respeck? How old are you?

I'm not bothered what anyone else does - my rules are just my own. I don't tick anything I don't think I could have id-ed. Hence the Richard's from Holkham and Leach's from Cley earlier in the week are not on my list either though I did see them.

To be fair I think there were a lot of people out looking too - plenty have posted on here. Will and I started out at Holkham (Will found the Richard's Pipit) and there were quite a few different groups of birders in the morning looking for their own birds. We didn't go on a pager dash till we got news of the Blyth's and I suspect many of the people there had been doing some proper looking in other places. We reckoned there were 4 or 5 different YBW's at Holkham but I think people stopped putting them out after a while.

Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 18:15   #2144
Paul Eele

Titchwell

Another pleasent autumn day with a quality selection of birds around the reserve.
The yellow browed warbler from the weekend still present although very elusive and upto 3 bramblings around the feeders. A full count of the lagoons today produced (not all the figures are in yet) 540+ golden plover, 200+ teal, 100+ wigeon, 11 little stints and 93 ruff.
There were 2 purple sands still present at Thornham Point along with 2 flyover lap bunts and 5 snow bunts near the beach platform. The sea was fairly quiet but a sooty shear and 2 more juv sabs gulls provided the quality.
Also managed to get along to Holkham after work for the LG shrike as it was a UK tick for me. Although distant, it showed well on the fence around the cattle field.

Paul
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 18:31   #2145
Warder

Thanks Sue.
I did manage to see it today. A Merlin came through harrassing the waders at one point but the Phalarope managed to hide up. Thanks again.
Best wishes and happy birding
Alan
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 19:01   #2146
SueBryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warder View Post
Thanks Sue.
I did manage to see it today. A Merlin came through harrassing the waders at one point but the Phalarope managed to hide up. Thanks again.
Best wishes and happy birding
Alan
Glad you saw it, it would have been a shame to miss such a lovely bird! I was hoping to photograph it but it was always distant. I even tried the Bishop Hide but it got wind of my arrival and scooted off to the back of the scrape!

I watched the Lesser Grey Shrike and Ross's Goose late this afternoon. The wind in my back was cold but very definitely coming from the East. More Eastern migrants on the way.

Sue
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 19:15   #2147
sacha

I decided not to chase after found birds and look for my own this afternoon- beautiful sunny day at Winterton produced the following:

1 Firecrest (stunning, singing male)
5 brambling
1 jack snipe
1 filedfare (gave me a scare when it did a good GG Shrike impersonation on top of a bush!)
40+ swallows
1-2 wheatear

Still more birds out there to be found i reckon!!
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 19:34   #2148
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Cheers Penny

bugger all this morning though!

trying to organise a curry night at the moment...
I'll look forward to curry night then Tim

Had a VERY amusing incident this evening. When I left work dressed in normal office attire, picture the scene: black skirt, boots, black jacket, blonde hair..... on route to where my car is parked, I stopped at the Millfleet with my 'car bins' to see if there was anything interesting, I sometimes see kingfisher there and grey wagtail. I passed a police car on route that sat just on the corner by Boal Quay carpark about 50 yards from where I stopped to scan the small reed bed and river below the bank. Suddenly I realised a policeman is approaching me and asked me what I was doing. I explained that although I didn't look like one, that I was a birder and that I often came here to birdwatch before and after work. 'Ahhhh he said you are a twitcher.... its just that you don't look like one and there are residential houses over there'. I then preceeded to show him a kingfisher (on cue!) and just after he left a nice grey wagtail flitted about in the water! I am still laughing now, I have never been approached by the police before for birdwatching!!!!!! (or anything else for that matter). I explained that I dressed appropriately at weekends for birding!!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Tuesday 2nd October 2007 at 20:07.
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 19:59   #2149
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
...I am still laughing now, I have never been approached by the police before for birdwatching!!!!!! ...
I spent many years birding in the Mundesley/Paston/Bacton (of gas site fame...) area. Being stopped by the police was part of birding there! They once approached me, full on 'blues & twos', flashing headlights, as they'd had a report of someone with a sub-machine gun over their shoulder! It was only little ol' me with my 'scope and tripod...

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 20:08   #2150
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootshoot View Post
I spent many years birding in the Mundesley/Paston/Bacton (of gas site fame...) area. Being stopped by the police was part of birding there! They once approached me, full on 'blues & twos', flashing headlights, as they'd had a report of someone with a sub-machine gun over their shoulder! It was only little ol' me with my 'scope and tripod...

James
How funny
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: