Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Tuesday 2nd October 2007, 20:30   #2151
Mick Sway

Birding Tales

Lovely story Penny, you must lokk very suspicious.
Sounds like the birding's been great down there.
By way of contrast being pulled up and asked to hand over your camera to a Greek army captain, at Ipsilu, Lesvos - was not so amusing.
Best
Mick

BF Supporter 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 3rd October 2007, 18:19   #2152
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Today reminded me what birding's all about! Absolutely top draw day today with that kind of Autumn feel that makes it feel like you can smell the rare birds coming in. 1 Lifer, two Norfolk ticks, 5 year ticks and my biggest self-found blocker unblocked!

Parked the car at Wells and walked towards Holkham birding all the way. A bit quite at first, but then stumbled across a large flock of long-tailed tits and goldcrests. Heard what I was sure was a Yellow-browed Warbler, but couldn't find it at first. Eventually I got on a small phyllosc, but although it had a wing war, the bar wasn't nearly strong enough and it turned out to be a Greenish Warbler! Slightly confused (by the call), I continued searching and stumbled across not one, but two Yellow-browed Warblers. On to Holkham were I twitched a Lesser Grey Shrike and then a Great Grey Shrike and found two more Yellow-browed Warblers before twitching the Subalpine Warbler, a lifer for me! Looking quite good for being the Balearic race too. After that I decided to follow-up on an early morning sighting of 2 Great White Egrets which had flown over the fresh marsh. En-route over the dunes, I stumbled across a large pipit, which flushed giving a House Sparrow like chirp. Richard's Pipit, the first I've found at last! It flew a medium distance, but after patient hunting I was able to find it and get some detailed field notes, before it flew off high and east. Had almost given up on the egrets and was on my way back, when they both flew out of a creek in the Salmarsh and headed west. Walked back to Burnham Overy Straithe, were I topped off the day with cracking views of a Barred Warbler, making a nice change from two false alarms, which turned out to be Garden Warblers earlier. Shortly after that I bumped into fellow Norfolk patcher Matt Green (hope you got the bus back OK - amused you said you recognised be by my Avater! I presume you meant you've seen photos of me on the punkbirder website or something) and caught the bus back to pick up my car.

p.s. Tim - up for coming out east on Sat or Sun. Fancy a few beers out your way Saturday night?
Old Wednesday 3rd October 2007, 18:44   #2153
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Well what and evening. Got hame from school just after 5:00pm, had dinner very quicky and was at Holkham by about 6:15pm to look for the Lesser Grey. By 6:40pm it didnt look good and I assumed it had gone to roost and the light was also fading fast. Gutted, I walked back towards the car, when one of the two other birders looking shouted that they had it on a fence-post. And there it was... a superb Lesser Grey Shrike on a post in the middle of a bramble bush hoorah! It showed until 6:55pm when it dropped down into the reeds, presumably to roost.

Cheers

Last edited by Connor Rand : Wednesday 3rd October 2007 at 19:18.
Old Wednesday 3rd October 2007, 19:37   #2154
Warder

Had to work today so didn't get chance to see the Lesser grey shrike. Off work tomorrow but it's my non birding wife's birthday and duty calls. Doubt if it will stay until my next day off but I will try and sweet talk my S/O. Trying to negitiate a compromise with my good lady but so far no luck. Marriage and children, what a sacrifice. It doesn't half interfere with your birdwatching. Would I do it again?.. Probably. Anyway enough tales of woe. Those of you who are out and about tomorrow...
Happy birding
Alan
Old Wednesday 3rd October 2007, 20:19   #2155
seanofford

Yellow-browed in my garden this evening!
Old Wednesday 3rd October 2007, 20:32   #2156
seanofford

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
I decided not to chase after found birds and look for my own this afternoon- beautiful sunny day at Winterton produced the following:

1 Firecrest (stunning, singing male)
5 brambling
1 jack snipe
1 filedfare (gave me a scare when it did a good GG Shrike impersonation on top of a bush!)
40+ swallows
1-2 wheatear

Still more birds out there to be found i reckon!!
Was your Jack Snipe in the North Dunes by the double pools with the little causeway between them? I saw one there on Sunday.
Old Wednesday 3rd October 2007, 20:52   #2157
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Well what and evening. Got hame from school just after 5:00pm, had dinner very quicky and was at Holkham by about 6:15pm to look for the Lesser Grey. By 6:40pm it didnt look good and I assumed it had gone to roost and the light was also fading fast. Gutted, I walked back towards the car, when one of the two other birders looking shouted that they had it on a fence-post. And there it was... a superb Lesser Grey Shrike on a post in the middle of a bramble bush hoorah! It showed until 6:55pm when it dropped down into the reeds, presumably to roost.

Cheers
Connor - you are turning into a TWITCHER!!!! but, well done

I hope you are not going to race off to see a 'little brown job' in Yorkshire????!!!!!!

I am hoping everything at Holkham will stay around for Saturday - PLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 3rd October 2007, 20:55   #2158
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Today reminded me what birding's all about! Absolutely top draw day today with that kind of Autumn feel that makes it feel like you can smell the rare birds coming in. 1 Lifer, two Norfolk ticks, 5 year ticks and my biggest self-found blocker unblocked!

Parked the car at Wells and walked towards Holkham birding all the way. A bit quite at first, but then stumbled across a large flock of long-tailed tits and goldcrests. Heard what I was sure was a Yellow-browed Warbler, but couldn't find it at first. Eventually I got on a small phyllosc, but although it had a wing war, the bar wasn't nearly strong enough and it turned out to be a Greenish Warbler! Slightly confused (by the call), I continued searching and stumbled across not one, but two Yellow-browed Warblers. On to Holkham were I twitched a Lesser Grey Shrike and then a Great Grey Shrike and found two more Yellow-browed Warblers before twitching the Subalpine Warbler, a lifer for me! Looking quite good for being the Balearic race too. After that I decided to follow-up on an early morning sighting of 2 Great White Egrets which had flown over the fresh marsh. En-route over the dunes, I stumbled across a large pipit, which flushed giving a House Sparrow like chirp. Richard's Pipit, the first I've found at last! It flew a medium distance, but after patient hunting I was able to find it and get some detailed field notes, before it flew off high and east. Had almost given up on the egrets and was on my way back, when they both flew out of a creek in the Salmarsh and headed west. Walked back to Burnham Overy Straithe, were I topped off the day with cracking views of a Barred Warbler, making a nice change from two false alarms, which turned out to be Garden Warblers earlier. Shortly after that I bumped into fellow Norfolk patcher Matt Green (hope you got the bus back OK - amused you said you recognised be by my Avater! I presume you meant you've seen photos of me on the punkbirder website or something) and caught the bus back to pick up my car.

p.s. Tim - up for coming out east on Sat or Sun. Fancy a few beers out your way Saturday night?
Wow Ilya!!!! that sounds like a perfect day!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 3rd October 2007, 21:14   #2159
sacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofford View Post
Was your Jack Snipe in the North Dunes by the double pools with the little causeway between them? I saw one there on Sunday.
Hi,
Yes , that sounds like the place - i flushed it and it landed a short distance away in drier part. Bit amazed i couldn't find any yellow brows considering how many have turned up! Should be a great week to be on the east coast with Brown Fly further north, who knows what else will turn up in Norfolk.
Glad i'm not going to Scillies this year
Old Wednesday 3rd October 2007, 23:24   #2160
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Shortly after that I bumped into fellow Norfolk patcher Matt Green (hope you got the bus back OK - amused you said you recognised be by my Avater! I presume you meant you've seen photos of me on the punkbirder website or something) and caught the bus back to pick up my car.
Certainly did, but not before going back to those bushes for your Barred Warbler, didn't find it unfortunately, would have ended the day nicely!

Maybe next time ..nice meeting you btw

Matt

ps, oh and yes, it was the punkbirder site were I recognized you from!

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 06:04   #2161
Connor Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
I hope you are not going to race off to see a 'little brown job' in Yorkshire????!!!!!!
Most certainly not! If there's a Brown Flycatcher there then there will be something just as good in Norfolk for the weekend!

Cheers,
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 07:17   #2162
Edward woodwood

excellent garden find:

Yellow-browed Warbler! plus Pied Fly. Wheatear by the beach and a lone Goldie on the beach 20 Brents north

several bramblings and Siskin this morning

Quote:
you're on!
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 07:34   #2163
Paul Eele

Stunning views of a yellow browed warbler feeding in the bushes 6ft above my head at Titchwell this morning - it was like being back in China in May!! Good numbers of finches and thrushes passing overhead but nothing really dropping in.

Keep checking those flycatchers!!

Paul
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 10:59   #2164
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Most certainly not! If there's a Brown Flycatcher there then there will be something just as good in Norfolk for the weekend!

Cheers,
...maturity beyond your years Connor!

Lesser Whitethroat and Redstart this morning whilst on walkies...

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 12:42   #2165
Edward woodwood

Rough legged at Horsey reported earlier...

and a Lesser Snow Goose reported Tues? evening near Martham. I presume this is in the area still. There was a Lesser Snow x Ross' hybrid (pix on GYBC website) in the first part of the year so i wonder if this may be the same bird...

after the last few days i'm really looking forward to the weekend; seeing migrants from the house like Pied Fly and Y-br, with Brambling and Siskin etc flying over is amazing and finding a few decent rares has exceeded my expectations of living out here - or is it just generally underworked?... The Radde's and Greenish were fantastic, Y-br a great treat but the Sabine's was the most exciting so far...

hope my luck stays in. We could be in for some top birding Ilya...keep your finding hat on...
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 16:20   #2166
Connor Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood View Post
Rough legged at Horsey reported earlier...

and a Lesser Snow Goose reported Tues? evening near Martham. I presume this is in the area still. There was a Lesser Snow x Ross' hybrid (pix on GYBC website) in the first part of the year so i wonder if this may be the same bird...

after the last few days i'm really looking forward to the weekend; seeing migrants from the house like Pied Fly and Y-br, with Brambling and Siskin etc flying over is amazing and finding a few decent rares has exceeded my expectations of living out here - or is it just generally underworked?... The Radde's and Greenish were fantastic, Y-br a great treat but the Sabine's was the most exciting so far...

hope my luck stays in. We could be in for some top birding Ilya...keep your finding hat on...

Hi Tim, sounds like your having a great time! Has been plenty at Holme recently with Barred, 2 GG Shrikes, 5 or 6 Yellow Browed, Lap Bunt etc. etc. but out of the stuff I've seen Sabines Gull was definitely my favourite so far this autumn Like everyone greatly looking forward to weekend!

Cheers,
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 17:06   #2167
J Moss

Fab day at Holkham today (thought I'd copy you, ish, Ilya. You had an amazing day yesterday). Parked at the bottom of Lady Anne Drive, had a quick look at the Lesser Grey Shrike, and then walked to Wells. Had a Firecrest and 3 Yellow Browed Warblers there and back. Then walked up to Burnham dunes to twitch the Subalpine Warbler again. During, had a Great Grey Shrike (deffinitely a GGS this time; I checked ), fly around us and pirch on the other side of the dune. The walk back to the car was a bit of a Yellow Browed fest, with at least 4 induviduals seen, and more heard. I reckon there must be 7+ birds around there now. Not bad, considering I only saw my first Yellow Browed Warbler on tuesday!

Jason

Last edited by J Moss : Thursday 4th October 2007 at 17:57.
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 18:34   #2168
Warder

Got a gate pass from my dear wife after spending a great birthday with her. Went upto Holkham taking my boys with me, praying all the way. Great views of the Lesser grey well worth the trek. Working over the weekend. Off Monday so will probably check out Benacre. That is of course if nothing new is reported over the weekend by you intrepid individuals.
Good luck and Happy birding.
Alan
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 18:37   #2169
Connor Rand

Another fantastic year for Yellow Browed Warblers so far by the looks of things...

Trip report for Lesser-grey Shrike twitch on my blog.

Cheers,
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 21:28   #2170
Mike Feely

Hi all

Does anyone know if the Lesser Grey went to roost tonight? It has not been reported since 2.30. I'm hoping it sticks around 'till Saturday.
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 21:47   #2171
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootshoot View Post
...maturity beyond your years Connor!

Lesser Whitethroat and Redstart this morning whilst on walkies...

James
He is! and a real little gentleman too with a real zest for life

My mother had 3 Yellow Browed Warblers in the village (Holme) this morning!!!!!!!!!
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 22:10   #2172
J Moss

Dont know whether it went to roost, but it was still present at 5 30ish. Fingers crossed...

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Feely View Post
Hi all

Does anyone know if the Lesser Grey went to roost tonight? It has not been reported since 2.30. I'm hoping it sticks around 'till Saturday.
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 22:43   #2173
Mike Feely

Thanks for the info Jason, it just needs to stick around for 36 more little hours, will be there on Saturday!
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 22:46   #2174
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Feely View Post
Hi all

Hi Mike, fingers crossed for Saturday it seems! Connor's account on his blog (see link on his posting) tells how he saw it tonight at about 6:40pm.....

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Thursday 4th October 2007, 23:05   #2175
Mike Feely

Just read Connor's account on his blog, i guess there have been less people around looking for stuff today with the little brown thing in Yorkshire. Glad to hear it was still there at dusk.

Fingers crossed
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: