Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Wednesday 10th October 2007, 16:50   #2226
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
I'd like to see some lapland buntings at some point. Any tips on connecting with them without twitching, or are they too scarce to manage without just fluking them?
Jason
Probably a case of picking a good viz mig site and hoping . Locally I always find Gore Point at Holme is a good location to have them flying over, or further east from the coastal path near the NOA end. Otherwise West Runton/Paston are known sites, although I've never visited these, and its worth checking through any ploughed fields on the coast. Choseley has had a few records as well, although Lap Bunts in general are usually easier to see on the ground in the winter months.

Cheers,
Old Wednesday 10th October 2007, 17:00   #2227
Edward woodwood

might be an idea not to publicise Lap Bunts as they get booted all over the place. The ones I know of are not released generally although odd records make the new services now and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post

I'd like to see some lapland buntings at some point. Any tips on connecting with them without twitching, or are they too scarce to manage without just fluking them?

Jason
Jase

learn the call and go to the coast. Blakeney or similar and keep listening. It's a quick short trill kind of noise often followed by a 'seeeuu'. Very distinctive once you know it

went into Caister Cemetary this afternoon with a birding colleague for an hour and we found another Yellow-browed

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Wednesday 10th October 2007 at 17:07.
Old Wednesday 10th October 2007, 18:45   #2228
David Norgate

Lapland Buntings

I believe this thread has mentioned 'lap bunts' at both Paston and Happisburgh recently.
Old Wednesday 10th October 2007, 18:59   #2229
Warder

Had a good day out on the coast today. Got great views of the Rosefich then popped down to Holkham for the Humes. Had one YB warbler on the way and two more plus two chiffchaffs, goldcrest and treecreeper on the way back. Had breif views of the Humes. Who ever identified that tiny brown flitty creature as a Humes is a better man/woman than me. Maybe it was calling or something when first found. Anyway more research and learning required.
Not out tomorrow so those of you who are...
Happy birding
Alan
Old Wednesday 10th October 2007, 19:08   #2230
Warder

Hi,
I assume your refering to the Rosefinch!

The pushchair should cope with the track. You can even drive all the way to the end. I found it easy enough, its off the A149 opposite the turning for Warham. Hope you find it okay.
regards
Alan
Old Wednesday 10th October 2007, 19:22   #2231
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post

Edit: p. s. looking good for Asian / eastern rarities this weekend, especially on Saturday. Although the winds aren't looking that favourable locally, which should rule out another fall of scarcer migrants (yb warbler, rb fly etc), temperatures are set to drop dramatically over most of northern Asia by then and winds and conditions are looking favourable to trigger the onset of a mass migration of Siberian migrants
Thatís a good point....

Itís all too easy, as we stroll around in t-shirts looking for easterly drifted Yellow-brows in glorious Indian summer conditions, to forget that temperature plays a huge role in how and when birds migrate; both spring and autumn. A sudden cold spell in January would have us getting all excited about hard weather movement (geese, ducks, waders, white-winged Gulls, Bustards even (aahh, 1987....), but at this time of year we can all too easily become preoccupied with wind direction only.

Saw a male Blackcap at home today and 2 Redpoll sp. flew over.

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Wednesday 10th October 2007, 20:34   #2232
sacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warder View Post
Had a good day out on the coast today. Got great views of the Rosefich then popped down to Holkham for the Humes. Had one YB warbler on the way and two more plus two chiffchaffs, goldcrest and treecreeper on the way back. Had breif views of the Humes. Who ever identified that tiny brown flitty creature as a Humes is a better man/woman than me. Maybe it was calling or something when first found. Anyway more research and learning required.
Not out tomorrow so those of you who are...
Happy birding
Alan
I was sceptical about Hume's last week but then i met the birder who found this (or maybe another bird?) closer to the Wells end. He found it by playing a call of Humes to see what would happen and one appeared out of nowehere !!
Great find and glad that one has been relocated
I'm going to try and see the bird tomorrow and have a good look for other eastern birds....
Norfolk seems to be better than St Mary's at the moment
Old Wednesday 10th October 2007, 21:37   #2233
J Moss

Thanks for the help Tim and Connor. No need for exact locations; that would be twitching : ). I'll get out looking tomorrow.

Jason

Last edited by J Moss : Wednesday 10th October 2007 at 21:41.
Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 07:17   #2234
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralchill View Post
I believe this thread has mentioned 'lap bunts' at both Paston and Happisburgh recently.
cheers for that. sorry to whinge and stuff but...

now they can get booted all over the place by people who can't be arsed to look for any. The regular birders don't want them publicising due to past events. These are long standing active Norfolk birders with excellent reputations and nice folks to boot. Please respect it and give the birds some peace this year.

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Thursday 11th October 2007 at 10:59.
Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 15:22   #2235
sacha

On the subject of Lap bunts, had one on the deck in amongst alba wagtails and meadow pipits today! So a few around the coast of Norfolk if you look at this time of year.

Also today had the Hume's calling early morning in amongst 2-3 Y brows at Holkham - all the birds then left the 'isolated clump' they were in and headed into the main wood, so not sure if they have been doing this regularly or if they have now gone!

Heard one more Ybrow at far western end of Holkham and a few bramblings over with lots of redwings and fieldfares - but generally seems like there are less migrants around

Dipped the rosefinch again - apparently it was seen early morning

Lets hope we get more birds turn up this weekend - its a long winter ahead!

Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 17:56   #2236
J Moss

Salthouse produced a fair few Alba wagtails and 2 Wheatears this afternoon, with a couple of Razorbills on the sea. Wandered along the coast to Kelling to see the Phalarope. Made a bit of a sketch cos I couldn't remember how to id it from other phalaropes, and got it back in the car.

jason
Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 18:31   #2237
Richard Wall

Kelling Barred Warbler - Directions Please.

Hi All,
Decided to get some Norfolk birding in this weekend and wondered if anyone knows where the Barred Warbler is at Kelling watermeadows please.
I'm not certain where the 'watermeadows' are let alone the bird.
Any help gratefully received......cheers in advance....Richard
Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 18:45   #2238
Reader

We were watching this bird last week here where the arrow points.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=newsearch.srf

If it is still in the same area you walk down that track. Eventually you come to some double gates on your right. At this point walk into the field on your left and walk on a further 50 - 100 yards and look at the bushes on the other side of the track you have just walked down.

Don't forget that there is a R N Phalarope nearby.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wall View Post
Hi All,
Decided to get some Norfolk birding in this weekend and wondered if anyone knows where the Barred Warbler is at Kelling watermeadows please.
I'm not certain where the 'watermeadows' are let alone the bird.
Any help gratefully received......cheers in advance....Richard
Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 18:51   #2239
David Norgate

Coming into Kelling from the east (Cley direction) you pass the school on the left and a turning to the right, just after this there is limited parking by the track on the left heading north or park in along the opposite road. Walk north along the track until you get to a metal gate. The Barred Warbler was in hedges just north of hear. Also Yellow-browed Warbler in the area and Red-necked Phalarope on the pool. (the Barred was not seen for a couple of days and only one report today, so good luck!)

Oh Reader got there first!
Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 18:55   #2240
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think they've been seen for a few days now... probably worth a visit for the rn phal though.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 19:23   #2241
Richard Wall

Hi again,
Thanks for your replies.
Any good spots for Caspian Gulls?It would be a tick for me now it's split.
Ta
Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 19:31   #2242
SueBryan

A lovely walk this afternoon at Holkham where I saw 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, a Firecrest, a Black Redstart (sitting on one of the fencelines just before Meals house) 7 Crossbills (chipping away by the crosstracks) and a party of c30 Siskins.
Sue
Old Thursday 11th October 2007, 21:15   #2243
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Had a quick jaunt over to Burnham Overy staithe and Holkham dunes again today, the Great Grey Shrike was putting on a good display for everyone it seemed, a couple of holidaying birders were well chuffed with such an easy bird to see.

The Starling roost I was going on about earlier at Cley was also seen while passsing through on the bus, about 500/800+? I reckoned flocking over the reeds from about 18.15.

Matt

Last edited by matt green : Thursday 11th October 2007 at 21:37.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th October 2007, 11:23   #2244
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Hi again,
Thanks for your replies.
Any good spots for Caspian Gulls?It would be a tick for me now it's split.
Ta
Blackborough Tip

Blythborough

Pigfields around Holt worth a go too
Old Friday 12th October 2007, 14:48   #2245
Edward woodwood

Red-backed in Sea Palling still

hoping the drizzle will bring something down tonight...
Old Friday 12th October 2007, 19:22   #2246
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood View Post
Red-backed in Sea Palling still
This was the start of a great days birding around Eccles and Sea Palling area, also managed good views of Short Eared Owl hunting over Hempstead marshes from 14.00 along with a couple of Marsh Harrier. The Black Redstart on a cottage roof at Sea Palling gave excellent views, shortly after heard a male Tawney Owl calling from a small wooded area!

Moved onto Horsey Mere where we saw Barn Owl, a flyover Bittern, Marsh Harriers and 2 noctule bats ..then came the Pinks with Cranes calling in the background just after dusk.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eccles sea palling 028.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	108762  Click image for larger version

Name:	eccles sea palling 029.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	108763  

Old Friday 12th October 2007, 19:27   #2247
David Norgate

Intriging picture of the Red-backed Shrike. It seems to be a male? - chestnut back, grey(ish) head, but very dull and not well demarcated. Is there any explanation for this/ - 1st year male? eastern race? Or am I just imagining the whole thing?!
Old Friday 12th October 2007, 19:36   #2248
Nikon Kid
Love them Sula Bassana

What cranes were they Matt

My Images http://www.pbase.com/canon_boy

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th October 2007, 19:43   #2249
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon Kid View Post
What cranes were they Matt

They were the Common Cranes Terry, didn't actually see any but heard them calling from the back of Horsey Mere.

Matt

Old Friday 12th October 2007, 20:39   #2250
Peewit
Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt green View Post
This was the start of a great days birding around Eccles and Sea Palling area, also managed good views of Short Eared Owl hunting over Hempstead marshes from 14.00 along with a couple of Marsh Harrier. The Black Redstart on a cottage roof at Sea Palling gave excellent views, shortly after heard a male Tawney Owl calling from a small wooded area!

Moved onto Horsey Mere where we saw Barn Owl, a flyover Bittern, Marsh Harriers and 2 noctule bats ..then came the Pinks with Cranes calling in the background just after dusk.

Matt
Hi Matt

Great day out for you Matt. A change of scenary for you too.

A short eared Owl, great find for anyone to find.

Lovely pictures of the Shrikes, and great find for you too.

Regards
Kathy

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: