Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Friday 12th October 2007, 22:19   #2251
Penny Clarke

Went out mid afternoon to Heacham South Beach - 2.30pm, hoping to find something good (ha ha). Not alot really, few meadow pipits, 2 young pied wagtails, couple of mute swans, few greenfinches, lots of gulls gathering on mudflats, quite a movement of starlings.

Gore Point, Holme 4.15pm

Counted 86 Brents on the shore. A Tawny Owl calling in the pines behind bird observatory and a pair of Stonechats sitting on bushes on the Firs road on my way back along with a Barn Owl. Gary (NWT Warden) stopped along the road and estimated there were 9,000 starlings swarming in the skies to roost in the reeds!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Saturday 13th October 2007, 20:34   #2252
Penny Clarke

Woke up at 7.40am - shock, horror, I had set alarm for 5.10am and was supposed to leave at 6am to arrive at Holkham at first light, well that WAS the plan!!! Arrived Holkham 9.30am in the end.

Packed my rucksack full of goodies for day and planned to spend the whole day at Holkham at leisure.

Weather dull and no sun, but it got out late morning, which made a huge difference.

Great spotted weoodpecker, several jays, Marsh harrier, lots of goldcrests, parties of long tailed tits, little grebe in the 'Salt Hole'. Bumped into BF member Pete Dolton along the way. And GUESS who else was here, ahead of me, young Connor!!!!! (I am sure he will post here later). One grey wagtail flew over, mistle thrush, loads of blackbirds and redwings, heard Firecrest, kestrel, treecreeper, not far from 'Meals House'. Ring Ouzel (which Connor alerted me to) in the dunes and I flushed a nice Green woodpecker. Spent along time in the dunes, determined to flush something good! Had an hour's snooze after lunch near Gun Hill from 1.15 until 2.15pm. Then got up and walked back towards pines, had a fantastic find, well I know it was probably the same one that was hanging about, but still a nice refind - a fantastic Grey Grey Shrike at 2.45pm, sent text immediately to Birdline. Now, I noticed that it came back twice to same dead elder sticking out amongst brambles, so set the digiscope up in readiness and guess what, I got a few record shots!!! and just before this, a dodgy pipit with 2 very pale, wide wingbars sat on the elder as well - have a shot of this too. I am in a little while (just back home) going to load CD onto my computer and try for first time to get pics off my new camera onto computer and will try and post a pic of this pipit. KEEP A LOOK OUT TOMORROW, IT COULD BE A BUFF BELLIED PIPIT!!!!!!! (not) Will try and add picture here tonight. Several stonechats, brambling and a Muntjack dear near the Salthole. At 6pm when almost back to carpark, tons of blackbirds flew overhead, at least a hundred! Watched the geese gathering in the sunset.

Best Wishes Penny

P.S. Pics now added - put these on the Bird ID thread and our BF expert Jane says Meadow Pipit - and there was me getting all excited!!! (Lasts pic obviously Grey Grey Shrike)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0356 CORRECTED.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	108909  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0356 SM.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	108910  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0357 CORRECTED.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	108912  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0357 SM.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	108914  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0366 sm.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	108916  

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Sunday 14th October 2007 at 00:02.
Old Saturday 13th October 2007, 20:53   #2253
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

An enjoyable autumn day out today with 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, 3 Ring Ouzels, 2 Cetti's Warblers and a Firecrest at Holkham, a Barred Warbler and a Red-necked Phalarope at Kelling and a Yellow-browed Warbler, a Cetti's Warbler a Common Sandpiper and a single Snow Bunting at Holme NOA.

Full trip report now on my blog....

Cheers,
Old Saturday 13th October 2007, 21:03   #2254
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
Spent along time in the dunes, determined to flush something good! Had an hour's snooze after lunch near Gun Hill from 1.15 until 2.15pm. Then got up and walked back towards pines, had a fantastic find, well I know it was probably the same one that was hanging about, but still a nice refind - a fantastic Grey Grey Shrike at 2.45pm, sent text immediately to Birdline. Now, I noticed that it came back twice to same dead elder sticking out amongst brambles, so set the digiscope up in readiness and guess what, I got a few record shots!!!
Great read Penny, that GG Shrike is certainly is making a LOT of people very happy at the moment!!, the whole Burnham Overy creek, dunes, marsh and Wells woods area is fast becoming my favourite part of the whole coast, going back next week and can't wait ;0)

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 13th October 2007, 23:13   #2255
Penny Clarke

More pics from yesterday......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0358 sm.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	108917  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0382 sm.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	108918  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0352 sm.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	108919  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0353 sm.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	108920  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0332 sm.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	108922  

Old Sunday 14th October 2007, 13:51   #2256
Connor Rand

Few bits and pieces at Holme NOA this morning. Had a Yellow-browed Warbler (different to last nights, it was ringed), a superb Pomarine Skua close inshore west, a single Shorelark west, 1 Wheatear on the beach and 6 Bearded Tits east through the reserve. Also had some dross such as flyover Redpoll, Siskin, Brambling, Grey Wagtail and Rock Pipit.

Full trip report of today and yesterday on my website and pics of the Barred Warbler and Red-necked Phalarope as well (click on 'bird gallery' then on 'rare bird images 2007'.)

Cheers,

Connor

Last edited by Connor Rand : Sunday 14th October 2007 at 18:59.
Old Sunday 14th October 2007, 15:55   #2257
Nikon Kid
Love them Sula Bassana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Few bits and pieces at Holme NOA this morning. Had a Yellow-browed Warbler (different to last nights, it was ringed), a superb Pomarine Skua close inshore west, a single Shorelark west, 1 Wheatear on the beach and 6 Bearded Tits east through the reserve. Also had some dross such as flyover Redpoll, Siskin, Brambling, Grey Wagtail and Rock Pipit.

Cheers,

Connor
Send the dross to me it would have been 5 new ticks

My Images http://www.pbase.com/canon_boy

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 14th October 2007, 18:42   #2258
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Good weekend out, but quite sore on the feet. Started Saturday am at Stiffkey and decided to walk to Burnham Overy Dunes. Very quiet at Wareham Greens, with no sign of visible migration going on. Things started getting a bit better when I got to Wells, with good numbers of redwing (300+) and a fly over Med gull. Spent about an hour chasing things round Wells wood, and heard a yellow-browed, but didn't get much else until I located a sizable long-tailed tit flock, which also held a a female /1st year type red-breasted flycatcher. Excellent bird! First I've seen for a couple of years. Phoned it on to Buster at RBA, but didn't get much else after that, bar a brief view of another yellow-browed. Caught the bus back, but unfortunately missed the last one that went to Stiffkey, so had to walk from Wells tio Stiffkey in the dark which was fun.

Beers at Tim's place after that and then out earlyish Sunday morning. Walked the Marrams towards Eccles (is that what it's called Tim?) from Sea Palling. - fast becoming a favourate spot of mine Lots of vis mig (as Connor would say:-). About 7 or 8 bramblings, at least 7 tree sparrows a ring ouzel and a black redstart. Tim picked out another yellow-browed on call and we finished off the morning by relocating the red-backed shrike Tim found earlier in the week. Also 3 Little Egrets and a Grey Wagtail, which are actually quite rare for Sea Palling. After breakfast (almost at lunchtime), we went to look for the Fug duck. No sign, but Tim picked out another yellow-browed on call. From there we walked from Horsey to the Waxham pipe dump, which was totally devoid of birds, but we did get a fly by Black-throated Diver on the sea and I toyed with the idea of turning a very dark backed Lesser black-backed gull into a Baltic Gull, (which is clearly unIDable). On the way back to the car, we had nice views of a pair + juv cranes flying over, which proved to be the last good birds of the day, although we did spend time trying to find some Purple Sands which had been seen on the reefs near Eccles.
Old Sunday 14th October 2007, 22:51   #2259
Dave Kennedy

Glad you've got your photos sorted out, Penny. Your posts are always interesting, and the photos make them even better.
Many thanks.

PS
It would help in identifying the fungi if you could photograph the stem and underside of the cap. It is not necessary to damage the fungus - lay a little hand mirror on the ground and you should be able to photograph the underside fairly reasonably.

Last edited by Dave Kennedy : Sunday 14th October 2007 at 22:55.
Old Sunday 14th October 2007, 23:14   #2260
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kennedy View Post
Glad you've got your photos sorted out, Penny. Your posts are always interesting, and the photos make them even better.
Many thanks.

PS
It would help in identifying the fungi if you could photograph the stem and underside of the cap. It is not necessary to damage the fungus - lay a little hand mirror on the ground and you should be able to photograph the underside fairly reasonably.
Hi Dave

Thank you very much for your kind comments - I have taken shots of stem of fungi that I have taken, but didn't want to bore everyone with too many pics, now I have digi camera and discovered how to actually get them on computer and BF!!!! I know what I am like, I will have to be very careful not to bombard the Norfolk thread with too many pics!!!

Cheers Penny

P.S. Have just read your profile - you have led an interesting life! Do you know Simon King?

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Sunday 14th October 2007 at 23:16.
Old Monday 15th October 2007, 07:28   #2261
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Beers at Tim's place after that and then out earlyish Sunday morning. Walked the Marrams towards Eccles (is that what it's called Tim?) from Sea Palling. - fast becoming a favourate spot of mine Lots of vis mig (as Connor would say:-). About 7 or 8 bramblings, at least 7 tree sparrows a ring ouzel and a black redstart. Tim picked out another yellow-browed on call and we finished off the morning by relocating the red-backed shrike Tim found earlier in the week. Also 3 Little Egrets and a Grey Wagtail, which are actually quite rare for Sea Palling. After breakfast (almost at lunchtime), we went to look for the Fug duck. No sign, but Tim picked out another yellow-browed on call. From there we walked from Horsey to the Waxham pipe dump, which was totally devoid of birds, but we did get a fly by Black-throated Diver on the sea and I toyed with the idea of turning a very dark backed Lesser black-backed gull into a Baltic Gull, (which is clearly unIDable). On the way back to the car, we had nice views of a pair + juv cranes flying over, which proved to be the last good birds of the day, although we did spend time trying to find some Purple Sands which had been seen on the reefs near Eccles.
another great weekend

Ilya's covered most of the birds but on Sat at Fudger Duck also ringtail Hen Harrier, Greater Scaup and three cranes. Very pleased with the BTD - first patch bird of the year - possibly the only one I'll see this year as well.

And he forgot to mention he got whupped at pool for the second week running...

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Monday 15th October 2007 at 07:31.
Old Monday 15th October 2007, 08:03   #2262
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralchill View Post
Intriging picture of the Red-backed Shrike. It seems to be a male? - chestnut back, grey(ish) head, but very dull and not well demarcated. Is there any explanation for this/ - 1st year male? eastern race? Or am I just imagining the whole thing?!
It's a mature female
Old Monday 15th October 2007, 16:55   #2263
Connor Rand

On bird news services today: Lesser Grey Shrike reported at Dersingham Bog in middle off walkway this morning. Hume's Warbler still Holkham Pines west off cross-track with tit flock at 4:40pm + Yellow-browed Warbler.

Cheers,
Old Monday 15th October 2007, 18:43   #2264
Penny Clarke

LESSER GREY SHRIKE

Only down the road for me, so zipped along to Dersingham Bog and walked all round the board walk where it was found this morning, but nothing. Another birder was walking round too and we met up and he hadn't seen it either. I said I was going to carry on to pond area. Flushed a LBJ in the pines by pond that looked potentially interesting but it disappeared! Walking back from pond towards boardwalk where a green woodpecker bounded through and then I looked up to view long tailed bird on top of a single oak tree on side of hill and there it was!!!!!! a very nice Lesser Grey Shrike 5.50pm (I called across to the man I saw earlier who then walked walked quickly towards me, he was very pleased as this was a lifer for him), a few minutes later it flitted to another tree and I watched it until 6.10pm when it flew off into woodland. Nice year tick.

Park by picnic area for Dersingham Bog, walk to cliff top area and go down steps to boardwalk - it was about half a mile from here on right hand side where I saw the shrike.

Very annoyingly though, I dropped both my lens caps in excitement and didn't realise until I got back to car. Peanut chunky kitkat reward for anyone that finds them!!!!

Best Wishes Penny

P.S Text through to Birdline and Birdguides at 6.10 pm - I notice information is not on Birdguides and has not come through on pagers yet!

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Monday 15th October 2007 at 19:14.
Old Monday 15th October 2007, 19:26   #2265
Connor Rand

Well what a super bird for Dersingham Bog and well done Penny for relocating it! Shame the evenings are just too dark for me to get there after school now if I have any homework at all...
Old Monday 15th October 2007, 19:51   #2266
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Well what a super bird for Dersingham Bog and well done Penny for relocating it! Shame the evenings are just too dark for me to get there after school now if I have any homework at all...
Thanks Connor
Old Tuesday 16th October 2007, 07:29   #2267
Edward woodwood

Purple Sand last night - not at Sea Palling though as reported by the pagers.

goldcrest in off this morning

redwings shooting over in the night...

Tim

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Tuesday 16th October 2007 at 11:30.
Old Tuesday 16th October 2007, 14:24   #2268
Penny Clarke

I saw the Lesser Grey Shrike again at 8.40am, when I went back to find my lens caps (which I found!!!) along with 2 other birders (well they looked like hardcore twitchers to me!). Shortly after that some birding friends of mine + others walked very fast towards me round the corner, as they had just seen what looked like a great grey shrike coming my way! (and NO, I am not pulling your leg!!!!) The Lesser Grey Shrike that I had just been watching (eating a big bee incidentially!) flew off over the back of the hill. So there are definately two shrikes! The shrike I saw had no white above the eyestripe at all and the tail was shorter than the Great Grey and the primaries were longer. Also while we were watching the Grey Grey Shrike, someone had phoned another birder close by, to say that they had seen a shrike by the pond (much further up). Anyway, hopefully it will be refound again!

Still don't know who found it yesterday morning?

Best Wishes Penny
Old Tuesday 16th October 2007, 18:31   #2269
Mark43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
I saw the Lesser Grey Shrike again at 8.40am, when I went back to find my lens caps (which I found!!!) along with 2 other birders (well they looked like hardcore twitchers to me!).

Well done Penny..........2 lovely birds that are still on my wish list.

Congrats for finding your lens caps........i guess you will be eating the peanut chunky kitkat then
Old Tuesday 16th October 2007, 19:05   #2270
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark43 View Post
Well done Penny..........2 lovely birds that are still on my wish list.

Congrats for finding your lens caps........i guess you will be eating the peanut chunky kitkat then
Thanks Mark, ate Chunky Kitk at the scene!!!!!!!
Old Tuesday 16th October 2007, 22:35   #2271
Martin Smyth
"If you didn't care what happened to me"

Well now i have got over the dissapointment of a lovely,Near "Birdless " day in Norfolk,i am more composed,Living in the centre of England and work commitments,can't get accross to the E.coast much,but Me and "Reader" had bigged this weekend up for ages,the winds seemed right and we were set to go.
First point of call "Holme" facing out to sea ,what wind there was,was in your back,....southerlies...Doh.apart from a good movement of Thrushes we hardly saw anything of note,Fish and chips in "Wells" always nice and 20 degs too nice.
A quick look around "Warham Greens" nothing of note.by now it was getting quite late and we hadn't found a B&B yet,but still John wanted to go to "Kelling" for the Barred warbler,Red Neck phal,got fantastic scope views of Warbler munching Blackberries,also seen well was the RNP.
We Were going to try and find a B&B nr Cromer or find a pub to watch the Rugby,have a meal then head off Home.
Got home for 8.50 a chinese and the second half.

Just a few pics added
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barred-Warbler 1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	109456  Click image for larger version

Name:	Barred-Warbler-2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	109457  Click image for larger version

Name:	Red-Neck-Phal.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	109458  
Old Tuesday 16th October 2007, 23:07   #2272
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Need directions for the phalarope please, looked on the map but can't find any pools at kelling?

Anyone got a grid ref

Matt

Old Tuesday 16th October 2007, 23:20   #2273
Martin Smyth
"If you didn't care what happened to me"

Hi Matt Try
TG095438
Old Tuesday 16th October 2007, 23:25   #2274
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummerman View Post
Hi Matt Try
TG095438

Cheers, much appreciated

Matt

Old Wednesday 17th October 2007, 07:29   #2275
Edward woodwood

forgot to mention four Shags at Sea Palling at weekend...

one lingering

Tawny Owl yesterday but too foul to stay out long

Cranes on the way to work today
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: