• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iMac Magic Mouse (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Does anyone have one of these wireless mouses?

I have had my iMac a month now (and love it!) but have noticed that the batteries in the magic mouse are having to be replaced every fortnight. They are rechargeable and the charger is provided, but I am surprised that the batteries last only 2 weeks.

My old Dell wireless mouse didn't have rechargeable batteries, and only needed changing every 5-6 months.

And yes, the batteries are fully recharged when I put them in.

Anyone else find the same?

Hi Kits. Mine last around 2-3 months but they are not rechargeable. I assume you switch your mouse off when you are not using it? I know the Magic Mouse has a reputation for being rather battery hungry.

Ron

Oooh. Hangs head in embarrassment! I didn't realise I could turn the mouse off. I have just peered at it and seen the switch. I'll try turning it off at night and when I go out.

Thank you!

It's definitely worth trying, Kits. It has become second nature to me now to flick the switch over with my thumbnail when I am not using the mouse. I think you can switch off the wireless keyboard too but I never bother to do that as the battery saving system on it seems to be pretty effective. I have only had to replace the batteries once in the 8 months that I have had my iMac.

Ron

I can't see a switch for the keyboard, Ron, but (touch wood) that seems to be okay. I'll turn my mouse off tonight. I'll have to leave myself a note otherwise I shall panic in the morning, thinking I have broken it! :gh:

Thanks again!

I can't see a switch for the keyboard, Ron, but (touch wood) that seems to be okay. I'll turn my mouse off tonight. I'll have to leave myself a note otherwise I shall panic in the morning, thinking I have broken it! :gh:

Thanks again!

Keyboard switch is on the right hand end of the battery compartment, press and you'll see a green light on the keyboard that you never knew was there!

I too automatically turn the mouse off at the end of a session but don't bother with the keyboard: 1 year on and it's still ok.

(I just love my imac!)

After posting that I had only replaced the batteries in my keyboard once in 8 months, the low battery warning appeared the very next day. I should have kept quiet! To turn the keyboard off you press the button which Roger mentioned and keep it pressed. The green light appears and then disappears after a few seconds. The keyboard is now switched off. To turn it on again you press the button until the light reappears.

Ron

Magic Mouse is fab if a little battery hungry. I use the Apple rechargeable set (six batteries come with a charger) that sit in a socket by desk. Also, as suggested, use the on/off switch on the underside.

How do you lot get on with the Mighty Mouse? I use mine on a mouse mat as it feels smother than using it on the desk top. I get on all right with the left and right buttons and the scrolling is wonderful to use. I love just stroking the mouse top with my middle finger and watching the web page glide up and down. However, I find the 'side swipe' with my fore and middle finger, to go back a page, very hard to use. I find it is hard to do this while holding the mouse steady to stop it moving. Overall, I think it is good fun and very stylish but with very few real advantages over a conventional mouse - and very expensive.

Ron

I use mine straight on to the desk - I found mouse maps tend to get fuzzed up with dust and muck more than a desk top which effects mouse performance/use.

The twi finger swipe is great. It works about 95% first time. I dont seem to have any problems with stability. Just looking at how I use it, use my thumb to steady the mouse and draw my finders towards my thumb - no problems.

The main benefit for me is that you're not fixed to a single spot or wheel position to scroll up and down. I feel I hold the mouse much more naturally because of this - and you can use more than one finger ro scroll with too.

It works fine with ordinary rechargable batteries, no need to buy Apple's. You do need to set up the right click too (go into preferences and check it out).

I am learning a lot from my initial question!

The side swipe works fine for me too - I hold the mouse with my thumb and away the pages go!

The rechargeable batteries and charger came as a package with the iMac.

My son pointed out my biggest error when he came home for the weekend. I was changing/charging the batteries as soon as the warning low battery came on the screen. I have now been told to check how much life is left before I go leaping to change them. *Insert red face smilie*

My son pointed out my biggest error when he came home for the weekend. I was changing/charging the batteries as soon as the warning low battery came on the screen. I have now been told to check how much life is left before I go leaping to change them. *Insert red face smilie*
I found I could get about 6 weeks out of rechargeable batteries with my Mighty Mouse. I usually waited till it had lost connection, but there wasn't that much time between the first warning and final failure. The most significant factor in battery life is in the capacity of the batteries you use. I was using 2700 mAh. The higher the rating, the longer the batteries will last.

I really liked that Mighty Mouse, but when it died, I looked for an alternative that wouldn't have the ball cleaning problem. I didn't find one and have ended up with the corded Mighty Mouse. Not quite as flexible, but lighter and no batteries to worry about.

Michael

Last edited:
Since my last post on this subject my mouse started getting through batteries in about 4-5 weeks. However, recently there was a major OS update from Apple and since then the battery level indicator for my mouse and keyboard have both been static at 100%. I don't know if this means that the indicators are no longer functional or whether they are giving a truer indication of the battery level. I suspect the former. Has anyone else experienced this?

I will have to wait until my mouse starts to lose connection and see what the level indicator says then.

Ron

I had to speak to Applecare about another matter a few weeks ago, and mentioned the way the Mouse eats batteries. He said that for the amount of use it gets, two weeks is about right for battery life, so that has reassured me. And I am turning the Mouse off when I go out and when I go to bed. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back