• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dismal failure ! (1 Viewer)

JohnZ

I went back to Bough Beech this morning to try and get some decent piccies of my previous thread "Coal, Marsh or Willow. Well I failed dismally. The only shot I managed was this poor feeder shot. I took loads but these birds do not hang around unlike some of the more common types. No sound just straight into the feeder and out again. In a flash. The others give me half a chance perching on branches around the feeder etc.
I have also posted another shot of a bird in my garden which must be a Coal Tit.

Attachments

• IMG_7164-copy.jpg
    IMG_7164-copy.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_7176-copy.jpg
    IMG_7176-copy.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 140
John,
You can see the many differences in these two photos - and some similarities.
The Coal tit is essentially a grey & white bird with prominent wing bars, whereas the Marsh is essentially brown. Their shapes are similar - which is a good clue to Marsh's identity - Willow never/hardly ever looks this way - but has a big headed, big necked appearance, vs. Marsh's 'typical' tit shape.
H

John,

There must be at least 2 of them!! (note absence of ring...)

Ruby

Attachments

• Marsh Tit2.JPG
    Marsh Tit2.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 111
Ruby, Yes I have seen two at one time but they are very elusive. Was your shot taken at Bough Beech ? Their elusiveness, if there is such a word, is ably demonstrated by the fact that only one has been ringed !
halftwo, As soon as I saw these piccies side by side I realised the difference immediately. Primarily in the bars on the wings.

Yes. I was out and about today, and thought I'd pop into Bough Beech - the photo was taken at lunchtime....

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back