• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Breeding ecology of Brown Wood Owl (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
I am writing a paper about the first breeding records of Brown Wood Owl Strix leptogrammica ticehursti in Hong Kong. Despite having three breeding records (an abandoned chick and two fledged juveniles over three years) no nest has ever been found and I am therefore trying to put together a timetable to work out the age of the birds and roughly estimate when the eggs are laid, the chicks hatch, fledge and leave the nest.

The only paper I can find comes from Sri Lanka

www.pdn.ac.lk/cjsbs/text/text35.16.pdf.

This helps to some extent, but does not fill all the gaps, so I am looking for additional sources of information or expertise.

In addition to the two sight records and numerous calls I have also referred to the following paper about the captive rearing and subsequent radio tracking of the abandoned chick mentioned above:

http://www.kfbg.org.hk/content/87/24/1/BrownWoodOwlReport_2011Nov.pdf

Any pointers to additional sources or to experts on this species would be most welcomed.

Many thanks

Mike Kilburn
Vice Chairman Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back