• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sub forums within the Id forum (3 Viewers)

I vote for the status quo also.
I know it's not true in every case, but a quick glance at the Poster's country of origin flag usually gives a pretty good idea of what geographical location the querie is likely to concern.

I recognize the Union Jack and the flag of Ireland, but I have no clue regarding the majority of the flags I see here from UK users. I can't distinguish those from a flag from Africa or Asia. I imagine the same is true for most posters outside the UK.

Best,
Jim

I vote for the status quo also.

I recognize the Union Jack and the flag of Ireland, but I have no clue regarding the majority of the flags I see here from UK users. I can't distinguish those from a flag from Africa or Asia. I imagine the same is true for most posters outside the UK.

Best,
Jim

Surely you recognise the St. Andrews cross of Scotland, there's plenty of them present within this thread including mine;);)

Surely you recognise the St. Andrews cross of Scotland, there's plenty of them present within this thread including mine;);)

Sorry, but not until your explanation. There's no explanation on the site, and we don't typically learn those things outside the UK. Would you recognize the state flags of Maryland, Indiana, New York, or Ohio?

Best,
Jim

The ancient Kingdom of Scotland equivalent to an American state--now that's going to ruffle some feathers!

Texas and California used to be separate countries, like Scotland. And the 13 original colonies were only very loosely joined until the constitution replaced the articles of confederation in 1787.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I await Scottish reaction to the analogy with pleasurable anticipation.

Well I can't control what get's you excited, but I suspect you are getting more worked up than the Scots. It's really a pretty simple analogy--and entirely accurate. People from other countries learn another countries' flag, they don't learn subnational flags. If the Scots, Welsh, etc. start fielding separate olympic teams or conducting their own foreign policy, then there would be a point to others from different countries learning those flags. Otherwise we won't and don't--a simple fact. And same goes for any subnational flag of any country.

Best,
Jim

Scotland is a country has its own national football team, it has own language its practically a race of people. Your ancestors Jeff were once ruled by scots.
Think it has bit more of historical and international significance than Maryland.

Also I suspect its a US thing. Think internationally more people would recognise the scottish flag than Marylands (no disrespect to the place).

It does maybe prove how insular americans can be.

Also there's quite a few scottish flags floating around BF

Having said that, especially when Blair was Bushs poddle, to rest of world they think the UK and its nations as an extra state of USA. So no excuses however you look at Jeff ;)

Scotland is a country has its own national football team, it has own language its practically a race of people. Your ancestors Jeff were once ruled by scots.

Steve,

First, my name is Jim. Second, I agree with everything you say about Scotland being a more significant entity than Maryland. Third, I think you did not read my post closely and instead seem to be reacting to fugl's attempt to bait you, rather than anything I have said. I did not think you Scots could be so easily manipulated by Americans like fugl. ;)

In any event, this is getting seriously off-topic thanks to the troublemaker fugl, so it will be my last post in this thread.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited:
Jim

It gets worse! I’m trusting you did see under my avatar I come from Bolton. Please tell me you do know that arguably the most historically important place in the world is in England not Scotland. Baffling.
Bolton:

Home of Bolton wanderers FC (one of the 12 founding members of the English football league)
Home of the worlds oldest pub aka The Old Man and Scythe
Home of Samuel Crompton, the inventor of the spinning mule.
Home of England greatest ever centre forward Nat Lofthouse
Is home of the world oldest football (soccer to you) pitch still in use.
Home of the worlds most famous steeple jack Fred Dibnah.
Its also where Peter Kay, Ian Mckellen and Rosie from Coronation Street originate from.

Ps sorry about getting name wrong Jim that’s the second time this week on BF I’ve got somebody’s name wrong.

Id split

Would not make a difference to me.I check out every identification thread
posted just for the educational aspect!Plus it is very interesting what everybody has to say!Keep up the good work!

I check out every identification thread
posted just for the educational aspect!
So do I. Though because of my laziness I'm afraid that after the splitting I will only check North American and European threads ignoring those from other parts of the world.

On the other hand it's true that so many id threads are created every day and it's hard to look through them all and it indeed affects effectivness of solving id problems.

Steve,

First, my name is Jim. Second, I agree with everything you say about Scotland being a more significant entity than Maryland. Third, I think you did not read my post closely and instead seem to be reacting to fugl's attempt to bait you, rather than anything I have said. I did not think you Scots could be so easily manipulated by Americans like fugl. ;)

In any event, this is getting seriously off-topic thanks to the troublemaker fugl, so it will be my last post in this thread

Calm down now, Jeff (or Jim or whatever your name is) nobody’s out to get you. Just think peaceful thoughts & relax & you’ll soon feel a lot better

To everybody else: Sorry for the way the exchange with J.Moore has developed. I of course was not attempting to “bait” anyone but was simply making a pleasantry about Scottish nationalism, still a potent force north of the border as far a I know. Anyway, there’ll be no more from me on the subject.

Oops didn't mean to cause a breakdown in the "special relationship" My original post was not serious hence the use of smileys to try and ensure it wasn't seen as such.
For the record Scotland's independence was basically bought by the English so that clever Scots could run their country for them:smoke::smoke::smoke:

Well, I changed back. Don't split the forum.
But at least everyone recognizes the Canadian flag.

....Although many still consider it:
-an English colony
-an American state/lapdog
-an inuit settlement
-a hockey team
-a brewery
-Celine Dion's entourage

Personally, I think it's awesome!

Scott

Hi Folks - I'll just chip back in here (not on the Nationalistic argument - I'll leave that one to those who care about those things ;) ) - but on the issue of Country of Origin flags - Y'see, I wouldn't have a clue about most country' flags either - That's why those clever folks at BIRDFORUM have given us this splendid device:- ROLL YOUR CURSER OVER THE FLAG WHICH THEN BRINGS UP A NAME FOR THE COUNTRY WHOSE FLAG IS DISPLAYED.
- Simples,Peeps!

Last edited:
Hi Folks - I'll just chip back in here (not on the Nationalistic argument - I'll leave that one to those who care about those things ;) ) - but on the issue of Country of Origin flags - Y'see, I wouldn't have a clue about most country' flags either - That's why those clever folks at BIRDFORUM have given us this splendid device:- ROLL YOUR CURSER OVER THE FLAG WHICH THEN BRINGS UP A NAME FOR THE COUNTRY WHOSE FLAG IS DISPLAYED.
- Simples,Peeps!

Thanks for that, something I didn't know. Works like a charm.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back