• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen ED2 7X36 available on ZEN Ray for pre order (1 Viewer)

mannukiddo

Zen ED2 available on ZEN Ray for pre order

Zen Ray ED2 with dielectric prism coatings available for pre order.
Just when I order a Zen ED 8X43 which will be delivered some time in June end, Zen Ray comes out with a faster focusing (upto 30% as claimed), dielectric prism coated ZEN ED2 for pre order for deliveries in August. :(

Regards,

Mayur

Last edited:
When I opened my e-mail just now, I had an e-mail from Zen Ray announcing this. There is another post in the ZEN generation 2 post in the others thread that states a $150.00 price increase.

Here is a quote from my e-mail from zen ray

"We are accepting custom pre-orders with FREE shipping promotion and 20% OFF. The promotional price are $412 (10x43); $400 (8x43) and $370 (7x36). The first shipment will arrive in the end of July."

Ok, I'll bite what egregious error? The lack of a 7x36 until now maybe? Or maybe I just missed it. ;)

Hi Steve, one that I noticed, they had listed these as 43 mm in the descriptive section. I see that has been removed, maybe others.

Hi Steve, one that I noticed, they had listed these as 43 mm in the descriptive section. I see that has been removed, maybe others.

Hello Surveyor,

Just so. I emailed them about it and thirty minutes, later, it was removed.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

OK thanks. I never did see it. Maybe I missed it or saw thje site after the erroe had been corrected.

Last edited:
When I opened my e-mail just now, I had an e-mail from Zen Ray announcing this. There is another post in the ZEN generation 2 post in the others thread that states a $150.00 price increase.

Here is a quote from my e-mail from zen ray

"We are accepting custom pre-orders with FREE shipping promotion and 20% OFF. The promotional price are $412 (10x43); $400 (8x43) and $370 (7x36). The first shipment will arrive in the end of July."

The announcement of a Zen Ray 7 x 36 ED2 is going to be a real test of my resolve, and I have a feeling it will prove to be the best of the bunch.

Zen Ray ED2 with dielectric prism coatings available for pre order.
Just when I order a Zen ED 8X43 which will be delivered some time in June end, Zen Ray comes out with a faster focusing (upto 30% as claimed), dielectric prism coated ZEN ED2 for pre order for deliveries in August. :(

Regards,

Mayur

I preordered my Zen Ray 7x36 ED today. I love a BIG FOV(477 feet) and with ED glass I think they will be marelous! Dielectric prisms, improved straps(with disconnect),water/oil repellent coating ,locking diopter, better fitting objective covers, 5.1 foot close focus,16.8mm ER(Perfect!),22 oz.weight and a 30 % faster focus! Somebody has finally made my dream binoculars. $370.00 with free shipping is a great bargain!

Dennis

Last edited:
I preordered my Zen Ray 7x36 ED today. I love a BIG FOV(477 feet) and with ED glass I think they will be marelous! Dielectric prisms, improved straps(with disconnect),water/oil repellent coating ,locking diopter, better fitting object covers, 5.1 foot close focus,16.8mm ER(Perfect!),22 oz.weight and a 30 % faster focus! Somebody has finally made my dream binoculars. $370.00 with free shipping is a great bargain!

Dennis

Dennis, not trying to impose but please post a review when you get an opportunity-realize this may not be until September or later. I use 7x42 for all of my birding and will carry a small scope when necessary. I would be interested in a second pair of 7x for my wife and as a travel pair.

Frankly, I find 7x42 heavy on my neck but have found a good shoulder harness made by MadDog(thanks to BirdForum) which makes it possible for me. 7x35 interests me.

Mike

Dennis, not trying to impose but please post a review when you get an opportunity-realize this may not be until September or later. I use 7x42 for all of my birding and will carry a small scope when necessary. I would be interested in a second pair of 7x for my wife and as a travel pair.

Frankly, I find 7x42 heavy on my neck but have found a good shoulder harness made by MadDog(thanks to BirdForum) which makes it possible for me. 7x35 interests me.

Mike

No problem. The 7x36's should be at least 6 oz. lighter than your 7x42's. That would make a big difference when you are carrying them all day. Should be about as bright also. Because of the huge FOV they will probably be a little soft at the edges but that is one of the compromises the optical engineers have to make. With a 477 FOV that is really minor.

Dennis

Last edited:
For the 7x36, 477 ft at 1000 yards means a 9º FOV. I would think that means rather fuzzy edges.

Wouldn't it be something if they weren't? What if they were more like the 8x43 EDs?

I wonder if they made improvements based on some of the other customer suggestions...ie, the logo, neckstrap, etc...?

The faster focus sounds nice as well!

477 feet @ 1000 yards is 9.1 degrees (rounding correctly!).

Well it wouldn't be a real 7x without having a decent FOV ... I mean if you have a 8x with 420 feet (8 degree-ish) FOV then why use a 7x with 420 feet FOV?

To compare to some other "similar" bins: The Zeiss 7x42 FL is 450 feet FOV (8.6 degrees) and yes is not sharp to the edges. And the Nikon 7x35 Action EX ATB is a 9.2 degree FOV (the last of the "real" 7x porros). And that's not sharp to the edges either.

Another way to look at this is to consider the apparent field of view. This 7x36 has an AFOV of 58.2 degrees (calculated "properly" without the approximation!). Big enough but not huge. An 8 degree (420 feet) 8x bin would have a AFOV of 58.5 degrees. So the 9.1 degree FOV in the 7x is not a silly number for a similar EP to what they have in the current Zen Ray ED bins. Remember it's the AFOV of the eyepiece and the magnification that gives the FOV not the oher way around.

So I'm happy to see a wide field but I hope it turns out well with enough ER to see the whole field with specs on!

Last edited:
The Nikon 8 x 30 E II gets (somewhat) "softer" at the edge. (I certainly wouldn't describe them as "fuzzy.") I believe they have an 8.8 degree field. They are, of course, a Porro with extra large prisms too, and AFAIK have had practically no changes in their specs since the days they were 1st marketed in 1999 or so.

Do you think the technology to make an optically superior equivalent Roof Prism in roughly the same price range now exists? It will use bigger but less expensive Roof Prisms? Sharper but less expensive wide angle oculars which are manufactured, necessarily, in smaller numbers for less popular binocular formats like 7 x 36, but still at savings? More sophisticated but less expensive prism and lens coatings. More rigorous but less expensive quality control in supervising the manufacture of a more complex binocular? They will be sold in limited amounts in a limited market to a limited amount of customers with very limited advertising. And yet they will make a profit?

If so, get one while you can! They probably won't be around for a 2nd run.

The E II's and the SE's weren't either, but they made a big batch of them, and now they have run out! But remember, they used a lot of interchangeable parts on their various sizes.

Bob

Randomly checked the Zen-ray site just now and was going to post the ad & pricing of the 10-x43 ED2. A little higher price than I expected! Not only are they offering faster focus, but they also now have a repellant coating. They also mention that the ED2's come with a new "improved" strap - maybe it will be a realistically usable strap this time! I really liked the coating applied to the Promasters - I hope this will be as good. It really made a difference with he external fogging. I enjoy my current pair of ED's & with the improvements, I am sure the price increase is worth it!

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index....id=249&zenid=b1576f2a8ba28add3d6ab1caf4e3830a

Ad for 8x43 ED2 :

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index....id=248&zenid=b1576f2a8ba28add3d6ab1caf4e3830a

Last edited:
Well it wouldn't be a real 7x without having a decent FOV ... I mean if you have a 8x with 420 feet (8 degree-ish) FOV then why use a 7x with 420 feet FOV?

To compare to some other "similar" bins: The Zeiss 7x42 FL is 450 feet FOV (8.6 degrees) and yes is not sharp to the edges.

So I'm happy to see a wide field but I hope it turns out well with enough ER to see the whole field with specs on!

Hello Kevin,

MY personal guess is that the difference between 8.5º and >9º, is where the hard decision in the compromise is centered, and how much of the price is devoted to the eyepieces. Clearly, no binocular gives as sharp an image at the edge as it does in the center. The question is about what may provide a satisfactory view. In the case of someone who wears specs, the outer edge may not even be available. In a very subjective measure, I expect the edge to be sufficiently sharp for me to detect the colour, the mass or the movement of a possible target.
Both the 8x30 EII and the Zeiss 7x42 worked for me, so it is possible that the Zen will do nicely. I am simply reluctant to order one without knowing how well it may perform'

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
623 gram for the 7x36, vortex vipers 8x42 weighs 652 gram. Is the zen quite heavy for a 7x36?
Anyway, seems like this will be the big one. I think I must have it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back