• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Swans (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
What are the chances of Black Swan becoming a British Bird?

I first saw a pair of them at Audley End House on the river/lake. Recently there was at least one on the lake at Hatfield Forest.

There was one hanging around my local sewage works for a few weeks last summer, he seemed to like it there.

Are they spreading?

Saw one on Rutland Water last October, plenty at Slimbridge too. Neighbour of my father's in Hereford breeds them. I gather they can be rather aggressive, drowning other wildfowl etc. Perhaps people are releasing them once the novelty wears off.

'scuse the ignorance but if you've seen them in Britain (and Wals fathers neighbour breeds them in Hereford), isn't it already a british bird ?

Or is it an escapee or something ?

They're all escapes and there are quite a lot of them. Should these escapes begin to breed regularly and be deemed to have a viable self sustaining population then the species might be admitted to the British list as a naturalised species. This has already happened with several species such as Ring-necked Parakeet, Common Pheasant, Canada Goose, Little Owl, Red-legged Partdridge and Mandarin Duck, for example.

I suspect Black Swans have still got a fair way to go before being deemed self sustaining as a population.

As a general rule the introduction of non-native species is not to be welcomed of course as they can cause all sorts of havoc and work to the detriment of native species - often in ways difficult to envisage until it's too late!

MV

There's been one at Fairhaven Lake (near Blackpool) for a few months now.
He (or she) sometimes goes on a weekend break but always returns!

There were a pair of them on christchurch harbour in the 60's for about 15 years, but to my knowledge they had one or two young that failed to survive, but I haven't heard any more of them since. Nina.

There's a pair at Dawlish Town. They breed most years and can be seen with young in the Exe estuary.Haven't seen them this year though.
They seem more agressive than the Mute Swans and regularly chase them away.

We've got at least three in Iceland at the moment. They come every spring with the Whoopers and leave again in the autumn for Ireland. It's a Category E bird in Iceland but, as I never tire of reminding my Icelandic birding chums, I've seen the real McCoy Down Under.

E

A swan researcher I know reckons that while they're not established yet, they're not far off it. So they could be added to the list of 'tickable' ferals before too much longer.

I've an idea they're already accepted as an established feral in one or two European countries, not sure where but it was somewhere a bit odd, Hungary or Austria or something like that - the sort of place you'd think they'd get frozen out in winter.

Michael

Visited Orkney in early August and watched a black swan on Loch Harray which was being constantly harrased by the hordes of mute swans which seemed to resent its presence on the loch. Is that the normal behaviour when they cross paths or can they co-exist peacefully

Gerry Hooper said:
They seem more agressive than the Mute Swans and regularly chase them away.

More aggressive? If Swans get any more aggressive they will be Canada geese. Must admit it is nice to see black Swans for a change.

Over the years, I have seen 4 -5 birds wintering on the baltic see together with mute swans. Sometimes mute swans chased them away, but sometimes they were within groups of mute swans and the mute swans did not behave any different towards them than towards another mute swan. Together with the mutes they were feeding on algae, eelgrass and, visiting the harbours, on bread fed by the tourists. &The black swans did not seem to have any more problems with ice on the water and with frost and heavy snowfall than the mute swans.
Also there was a pair that raised young successfully at the nature resereve Rieselfelder Muenster in Northrhine -Westfalia some years ago. When I was there a few weeks ago, I only saw one individual that avoided the groups of mute swans being present there...
Just thinking: Probably establishing is difficult for that new species, as they would occupy the same ecological niche as mute swans ?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back