• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pics with my new 50-500 (1 Viewer)

shrek48

I hope these have attached as I have never done this before, but if you see anything these are some of my first attempts with a sigma 50-500. not being a photographer I was pleased. I did mange to find a pro call will who gave me a 3 hour tutorial with my camera and lens and it was the best money I have ever spent.Please let me no what you think as the pics are for fun and secondary to the bird watching . If anyone would like the email address for the camera pro let me no. 8-P

Pictures did not upload anyone have any tips fpr me. cheers ash.

Last edited:
Go to edit then advance, find the paperclip icon, click it , choose your pictures , press upload button on right , watch the bar below uploading, when done click the bottom for completion. Any problems get back in touch I and others will be more than happy to help you.

I hope these have attached as I have never done this before, but if you see anything these are some of my first attempts with a sigma 50-500. not being a photographer I was pleased. I did mange to find a pro call will who gave me a 3 hour tutorial with my camera and lens and it was the best money I have ever spent.Please let me no what you think as the pics are for fun and secondary to the bird watching . If anyone would like the email address for the camera pro let me no. 8-P

Pictures did not upload anyone have any tips fpr me. cheers ash.
Great shot of the Snowy Owl in snow storm! and the Scotch Mist shot is amazing! LoL
better luck next time.
Looking forward to seeing your shots, I gave my Bigma to the wife but got it back to use on my XL2 camcorder love'em!
Brian

Shrek has had a bit of difficulty uploading so I asked him to email his pictures to me whilst we sort out the uploading problem. The pictures were reasonably well exposed for backlit subjects in harsh light.

Shooting birds against the light is alaways going to be hit and miss especially birds with black and white in them. For a beginner I dont think he did too bad at all with these. The shots are about 50% crops. Any failing in composition ...blame me!

For the first bird adding a bit more contrast will help it 'pop' a bit more.

Nice work Shrek!

Attachments

• Canada-goose-2a.jpg
    Canada-goose-2a.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Canada-goose-a.jpg
    Canada-goose-a.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 144
Not exactly a photo critique thread but I liked the first shot (very good for first attempts) and had a litlle play with it. A little brightening up, a touch more USM and cloned out some of the distracting bits on the water. Oh and I adjusted AD's composition to my liking, sorry mate!

A bit more care and attention in processing is where you can really bring the shot to life, that's an aspect that the modern day photographer has to unfortunately be competent with. Or like me and Adrian completely incompetent and just very, very lucky, "Oooh, I wonder what this does, ahhh briliiant!" o:D :-O

Attachments

• Canada-goose-2a-edited.jpg
    Canada-goose-2a-edited.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Thanks for uploading them for me i will endeavour to work out the problems i had. I was really pleased as I am no photographer and both shots are quite a distance away, lucky I saw that far never mind focused. I agree that if you want qaulity pictures you need to be able to play with the pictures. That really does not interest me as the pics are just a record for me and a means of identification for the many things i see not knowing what they are. this forum helps tremendously for newbies such as myself. I have tried to bird watch for 2 years but only now have a little more time. again big thanks

Not exactly a photo critique thread but I liked the first shot (very good for first attempts) and had a litlle play with it. A little brightening up, a touch more USM and cloned out some of the distracting bits on the water. Oh and I adjusted AD's composition to my liking, sorry mate!

A bit more care and attention in processing is where you can really bring the shot to life, that's an aspect that the modern day photographer has to unfortunately be competent with. Or like me and Adrian completely incompetent and just very, very lucky, "Oooh, I wonder what this does, ahhh briliiant!" o:D :-O

LMAO :king:

This is a fab lens if you get to grips with it properly.

A top tip would be to use it at f8 or above on a tripod at full zoom if you have enough light. Most supposedly soft pics are due to motion blur hand-held or even on the tripod as people bounce the camera due to forgetting the anchor point is way out on the lens or the mirror bouncing it on a poor mount. If your camera has an option to perform mirror lockup then use it! Obviously you can't do this with action pics. With good technique you should get some truly pin sharp pics.

I know the squirrel isn't a bird, but this pic is a full frame image I took today just resized and reduced for file size for the forums. A 100% crop is amazingly detailed; you can see every hair on the squirrel.

The Mallard is a very slight crop I put on the gallery earlier and shows similar detail. All you have to do is blast away with it as much as possible and you should soon be bombing the gallery with awesome pics.

Attachments

• IMGP0110 [900 x 602].JPG
    IMGP0110 [900 x 602].JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMGP0119 [900 x 603].jpg
    IMGP0119 [900 x 603].jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
This is a fab lens if you get to grips with it properly.

A top tip would be to use it at f8 or above on a tripod at full zoom if you have enough light. Most supposedly soft pics are due to motion blur hand-held or even on the tripod as people bounce the camera due to forgetting the anchor point is way out on the lens or the mirror bouncing it on a poor mount. If your camera has an option to perform mirror lockup then use it! Obviously you can't do this with action pics. With good technique you should get some truly pin sharp pics.

I know the squirrel isn't a bird, but this pic is a full frame image I took today just resized and reduced for file size for the forums. A 100% crop is amazingly detailed; you can see every hair on the squirrel.

The Mallard is a very slight crop I put on the gallery earlier and shows similar detail. All you have to do is blast away with it as much as possible and you should soon be bombing the gallery with awesome pics.
superb detail there Mike! great examples of what the lens can do
Cheers
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back