• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tokina with TC (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Has anyone tried the Tokina 80-400mm with a Kenko 1.4 TC....

The Tokina shoots average at 350 or so at F8......so since I have my Caon 300F4L lens and a 1:4 converter, I always use that lens for any long shots. But the Tokina with a 1.4 would get me over 500mm and might be worth the investment of a teleconverter...I am trying to find a way to use this lens more and if I cannot, I will end up selling it...

Anyone know?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the Tokina 80-400mm with a Kenko 1.4 TC....

The Tokina shoots average at 350 or so at F8......so since I have my Caon 300F4L lens and a 1:4 converter, I always use that lens for any long shots. But the Tokina with a 1.4 would get me over 500mm and might be worth the investment of a teleconverter...I am trying to find a way to use this lens more and if I cannot, I will end up selling it...

Anyone know?

The Tokina is fine at 400 + 1.4 providing you stop it down to f8, set it on a tripod, (Mark 2 version only) and use at least 400ASA on the camera !!! I have had many good results using this set up from a hide, also works well on a beanbag from the car window but you have to watch the focussing ring turning on the bag.

nirofo.

The Tokina is fine at 400 + 1.4 providing you stop it down to f8, set it on a tripod, (Mark 2 version only) and use at least 400ASA on the camera !!! I have had many good results using this set up from a hide, also works well on a beanbag from the car window but you have to watch the focussing ring turning on the bag.

nirofo.

Sounds good....I can pick up a TC. I have a 450, so not sure what you mean by the Mark II other than it needs a tripod. I usually use a Monopod with the Tokina anyhow since I found that it helps to get sharper images. I haven't used the Tokina at the lower end and am curious as to how it will perform (80-200) so will be testing it these coming weeks as well. But knowing I can use the tokina with a TC and get fairly good results is positive.

I was thinking of purchasing the Sigma 150-400 and it is obviously not near L series quality. I wonder if the Sigma and Tokina are on a par as far as quality goes when we look at the high end.... ?

Sounds good....I can pick up a TC. I have a 450, so not sure what you mean by the Mark II other than it needs a tripod. I usually use a Monopod with the Tokina anyhow since I found that it helps to get sharper images. I haven't used the Tokina at the lower end and am curious as to how it will perform (80-200) so will be testing it these coming weeks as well. But knowing I can use the tokina with a TC and get fairly good results is positive.

I was thinking of purchasing the Sigma 150-400 and it is obviously not near L series quality. I wonder if the Sigma and Tokina are on a par as far as quality goes when we look at the high end.... ?

Glass wise the Tokina is probably marginally better than the Sigma, though whether you'd notice the difference in the field is debatable; however, build quality of the Tokina is much better! The 1.4 works fine at the lower end just as well as at 400 end, but why would you want to ???

nirofo.

I am not going to use the TC at the lower end..... I am just going to play around a bit and see how the Tokina shoots at 80-150 mm..... I have forgotten about the lower end of things on this lens and find myself not having enough lens since my walkabout is the 18-55is Kit lens. I am thinking about moving up to the 17-85EFS lens to compensate for lack of lens with the kit. Part of that determining of what lens to get depends on how well the Tokina performs at the 80-150 area in light, no light etc....

Just trying to round out some holes I have ....

I really like the 300f4L lens and if the Toky can get up to 500 with a TC, that seems to be on a par with purchasing a 'like quality lens' in the Sigma or even Tamron which have a zoom up to 500. Why spend the money if my Toky can get about the same results. I am not thinking either of those will produce real good photos at long distances and that is what I would use them for so bottom line, use what I have and save money for other lens I need!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back