• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

19/11/2012 New LEICA GEOVID (1 Viewer)

From Leica
[...]users have a choice of three different ballistic applications and can output the results determined in the format relevant to their needs. Temperature, barometric pressure, and angle of declination parameters are factored into the calculation for all computing options. For hunters who use a classic reticle, the Leica Geovid HD-B binoculars will display not only the measured distance, but also the required elevation adjustment in centimetres or inches.

When using a ballistic reticle, information is provided for another important factor in hunting – the equivalent level terrain distance. Hunters who apply their point-of-impact correction in clicks with their fast reticle adjustment can also display the number of clicks required. In this way, the Geovid HD-B models adapt to each hunter’s individual style and provide optimum results in every situation, quite independent of the equipment used.

I am not a hunter, but I understand that the use of the new Leica Geovid is also designed to facilitate effective and fast scaling of the ballistic tower of the new rifle scope. If the new Leica rifle scope is disappearing from the market due to patent problems one of the major attractions of the new Geovid disappears and makes it far less attractive for hunters certainly considering the price and also because colleague binocular producers do not have that problem.
Gijs

I am not a hunter, but I understand that the use of the new Leica Geovid is also designed to facilitate effective and fast scaling of the ballistic tower of the new rifle scope. If the new Leica rifle scope is disappearing from the market due to patent problems one of the major attractions of the new Geovid disappears and makes it far less attractive for hunters certainly considering the price and also because colleague binocular producers do not have that problem.
Gijs

Surely this limitation covers only a small part of the market.
Long range shots uphill or downhill are pretty much the province of elk or perhaps antelope hunters, simply because at long range the random spread of the bullets will exceed the area that needs to be hit on smaller animals.
These hunters usually set their sights for a middle distance, so the target is hit adequately even if the bullet is a bit above or below the aimpoint.
The kind of Geovid to scope link discussed here would only come into its own on really long range shots, shots that need preparing, where a good rifle rest is a prerequisite. It seems like a very infrequently used capability,
even if someone has a marketing campaign built around it.

Surely this limitation covers only a small part of the market.
Long range shots uphill or downhill are pretty much the province of elk or perhaps antelope hunters, simply because at long range the random spread of the bullets will exceed the area that needs to be hit on smaller animals.
These hunters usually set their sights for a middle distance, so the target is hit adequately even if the bullet is a bit above or below the aimpoint.
The kind of Geovid to scope link discussed here would only come into its own on really long range shots, shots that need preparing, where a good rifle rest is a prerequisite. It seems like a very infrequently used capability,
even if someone has a marketing campaign built around it.

Sounds more like a set-up for an international assassin.....

I think that is correct, but not exclusive to the Leica riflescope system.

Most makers have a standard set of vertical and horizontal adjustments, e.g. European scopes are usually 1 click = 10mm @ 100m; US scopes 1 click = 1/4in @ 100yds; military scopes use miliradian adjustments. So the ballistic output of the rangefinder can be set to read out distances, angles, etc. and/or elevation adjustments in cm/inches or a certain number of click adjustments (which varies according to the different ammunition trajectory curves).

It is true that there are new 'ballistic' reticle systems that are proprietary to each maker, but Leica has a comparatively tiny share of the riflescope market and given the high £2700 price of a 8x42 HD-B, it would be commercial suicide if it didn't also work with riflescopes from Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, Swaro, Zeiss, etc., as well as Leica. Their other rangefinders do and this is supposed to be an advance on that technology.

Just my 2 cents...

Gijs
Leica has a huge following in the U.S. with their former geovid offerings and if the current excitement is any gauge of expected sales, their new HD-B will do very well indeed, in spite of the ridiculous price.
Most current geovid owners/hunters do not use Leica rifle-scopes. Again Leica has priced themselves out of a market where Leupold, Zeiss and upstart Vortex reign.
Nothing new here, Leica's pricing on the 65mm and 82mm televid have been astronomical since their debut and U.S. sales can't be anywhere near where they were with their 62mm and 77mm offerings respectively.
The new HD-B will fare better in spite of the pricing due to its unique SD-card ballistics and angle compensation technology. Swaro and Zeiss don't have it.....yet.

Yes, the marketing does seem to be to pushing the rangefinder developments (which can be had separately for $800 in the CRF 1600-B) and there is remarkably little information from Leica regarding the optical side (which adds $2145)....

The price is a bit high but considering the price of the highend SLCs and the like it is not that far off...considering you also now have added a high end rangefinder at no extra weight and in the same piece. This is very handy when out in the field because there is no fumbling for a separate range finder after/during scanning. Its all seamless.
The other benefit is the ballistics program which incorporates angle of inclination to calculations for holdovers (distance a rifle scope must be offset for to achieve desired trajectory). And the fact that it does not just use the standard bullet trajectories is very useful for people who load their own ammo or whos rifle/bullet combo produces slightly different variations from the standard curves.
I just received a pair of the 8s and am blown away by the image. Very high contrast and incredible edge sharpness. Minimal CA (purple fringing in high contrast transition areas didnt bother me much ). Amazing at twilight.
Overall a great combination item

Last edited:
We have roads and trails like that and similar weather though out the Endless Mountains and Poconos of North Central and North East PA but not the mountain scenery and you can't take dogs along to hunt deer either.

Bob

So anyone else here have a pair of these?
I really am blown away by how sharp they are. In ABing then with my zeiss 7x45 night owls i do notice a very so slight blue/green tint compared to the much warmer zeiss. But it has no real effect on saturation and depth of colors and really isnt noticeable except when directly comparing back and forth

Apparently there are only about 6 Geovid HD-B units in the whole of the uk at the moment.
When I get some time I plan to test the pair Leica have in Mayfair, London.
You can bet your bottom dollar the new Ultravids are going to incorporate a open bridge design and Perger Porro prisms.

Cheers Tim

Size comparison new Geovid vs. Swaro. range.10x42

Apparently there are only about 6 Geovid HD-B units in the whole of the uk at the moment.
When I get some time I plan to test the pair Leica have in Mayfair, London.
You can bet your bottom dollar the new Ultravids are going to incorporate a open bridge design and Perger Porro prisms.

Cheers Tim

Here is a picture showing the size difference between the new Leica Geovid
and the Swaro. Range, both in 10x42.

I don't think Leica will make the Ultravid this big. It seems the perger porro
makes for a very large binocular. Maybe they can shorten and slim down
when making a conventional design.

They have been known for the most compact style in their offerings.

Jerry

Attachments

• Leica and Sw. RF Binoculars.jpg
    Leica and Sw. RF Binoculars.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 160
The new Geovids do have a delivery period of more than half of a year over here. So I think the demand has to be very high.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back