• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on first camera (1 Viewer)

oncebittern86

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice/guidance on a budget camera and lens to start taking photo's of birds. I would realistically have a very tight budget, probably less that £300 to be honest and don't have a clue where to start... Can anybody help?

Joe

i bought the Canon SX50HS in January and not being a photographer I do seem to get reasonable results.A cracking piece of kit but with SD card spare battery and a decent bag may be just over your budget....Eddy

At that budget your best choice will be a bridge camera. There is wide choice out there with different pros and cons. So, take your time and do some research. Think about what kind of photography you want to do. How good is your fieldcraft? (more important than camera) Image quality; how good do you need it to be?

Also ask yourself; is £300 my limit, or will I spend more in the future? If the answer is yes then a secondhand DSLR might be a good start.

Sony RX100- the best pocket-sized camera all around.

The RX100 is a truly amazing little camera which delivers amazing image quality however the limited zoom range would make it of little or no use for bird photography (unless digiscoping). A bridge camera does seem like a good way to go with the budget. I have recently been trying a Canon SX50 and have been very pleasantly surprised by the image quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back