• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bridge camera question. (1 Viewer)

Chris D

After 14 years - my wife and I are heading back to Ecuador. Last time - I had a slow camera, slow film, slow lenses, and a heavy tripod. I thought it was fun. Still do. Since then ------ I've really gotten to enjoy digital, 'Point & Shoots'. The kind that fit in a pocket. I've gone through a dozen Lumix ZS3's. These - refurbished I give away to the right people.

So. Bridge Camera. ..... I love hummingbirds. We saw 57 last time. Friends there (Ecuador) are setting us up for many species. A larger element / magnification / optical lens seems the right thing.

Any recommendations?

Here's some shots with the Lumix. I'm not that concerned with detail / resolution. More - just ease and a 20 - or to 30 X optical lens.

What I have isn't broke. Just looking for some thoughts........ Chris

Attachments

• 394262_447417658617926_977945597_n.jpg
    394262_447417658617926_977945597_n.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 108
  • ann.jpg
    ann.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 545847_450116525014706_268935626_n.jpg
    545847_450116525014706_268935626_n.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 127
Hi Chris,
I currently have the Sony HX100v. I don't like it as much as the older model I dropped and broke. I have had the new one for several years now. It never had the sharpness the old one had. It's OK, but if I were you, I'd check out the Panosonic or Canon. The Panosonic people on here seem to be very happy with theirs. I don't know why Sony's new camera was not as good as the old. I really loved the first one. I'm home half the year now and my lifestyle is not as rugged as it was so I am getting a "real" camera finally. I will probably still keep an eye out for another bridge camera because they are so versatile; you can shoot a butterfly close-up and then shoot a far-away bird without lense changes.

Last edited:
P.S. I recommend that you DON'T get a Nikon. I bought one and it took blobs. Unfortunately, I bought it just before I left the country to get back to my boat and didn't return to the states again till past the return date. Wasted money. I will not buy anything more from Nikon.

Lots of Bridge cameras that are worth a look. For ultimate reach the Canon SX50 is probably hard to beat. However, for rain forest work and hummingbirds on feeders I would be tempted to go for a shorter but faster lens with better performance in poor light. You still need at least 600mm equivalent so try a few cameras.

Be aware that the compromises in bridge camera design mean that they don't do well at high ISO so getting anything like a fast enough shutter speed for hummer wing beats will be impossible.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back