• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binoculars from leica (1 Viewer)

I have not found the strap lugs of the NV to be a problem at all. (Hermann: NV's objective caps and rainguard are well designed, so no worries there either....). The only real handling problem of the NV's, imo, is that the space between the barrels is too short and too narrow for even three (average-size) fingers.

I have not found the strap lugs of the NV to be a problem at all. (Hermann: NV's objective caps and rainguard are well designed, so no worries there either....). The only real handling problem of the NV's, imo, is that the space between the barrels is too short and too narrow for even three (average-size) fingers.

I haven't found that an issue, and i'm 6'4" with big hands, first time i picked them up i just adapted my grip, no real big deal tbh....

I haven't found that an issue, and i'm 6'4" with big hands, first time i picked them up i just adapted my grip, no real big deal tbh....

People can adapt their grip to almost anything Martin. Like wierd stuff such as porro bins or Canon IS bins.

Doesn't mean its always instinctive or comfortable though.

Lee

People can adapt their grip to almost anything Martin. Like wierd stuff such as porro bins or Canon IS bins.

Lee

I agree with Lee: you can adapt to almost anything; I expected that the open bridge of the NV will allow a more comfortable grip (like for Swaro SV or Zeiss SF), but imo it does not./// Peter.

Your all entitled to your own opinions, but they fit just fine for me, i had Svs for 3 years, so i didn't really notice the difference, "hold/Grip and focus".....

Lee

Nailed it, Lee! Give me just a couple of minutes and I'll find my grip that will work with just about anything, including my retirement binos from my career work team pictured below :eek!: (knew nothing about optics, though they were proud of their collaborative efforts...I begged them to keep their day jobs! :D).

From double barrel swing pockets, to conventional porro designs, small and large roof prisms, forward or reward balances, featherweights or heavyweights and even the "Weird Canons", it's all good (admittedly, some easier than others)! :king:

Ted

Attachments

• 4-IMG_3682.JPG
    4-IMG_3682.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 76
Nailed it, Lee! Give me just a couple of minutes and I'll find my grip that will work with just about anything, including my retirement binos from my career work team pictured below :eek!: (knew nothing about optics, though they were proud of their collaborative efforts...I begged them to keep their day jobs! :D).

From double barrel swing pockets, to conventional porro designs, small and large roof prisms, forward or reward balances, featherweights or heavyweights and even the "Weird Canons", it's all good (admittedly, some easier than others)! :king:

Ted

Hi Ted

That is a radical alpha you have got there: eat your heart out Tract and Maven!!
I suggest an upgrade for fiscal 2017 consisting of ultra-high transmission Grolsh beer bottles (see pic). You can leave the pot bottle-caps on as rain guards. The only problem I foresee you having is with the close focus distance which leave you with permanently crossed eyes, but this is a small price to pay for being able to walk around with these puppies resting against your chest.

Lee

Attachments

• Upgrade.jpg
    Upgrade.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 46
Hi Ted

That is a radical alpha you have got there: eat your heart out Tract and Maven!!
I suggest an upgrade for fiscal 2017 consisting of ultra-high transmission Grolsh beer bottles (see pic). You can leave the pot bottle-caps on as rain guards. The only problem I foresee you having is with the close focus distance which leave you with permanently crossed eyes, but this is a small price to pay for being able to walk around with these puppies resting against your chest.

Lee

Lee,

C'mon, who told you I was crossed eyed?? Yes, the superior "green" tint would give more definition to the forest, however I'm a "center-focus" advocate, thus the Grolsh optic dual focus would be too cumbersome for birding! :D :king:

Ted

Last edited:
Some on this board have suggested that the price of the Noctivid may decrease a bit after the furor dies down. Does that sound reasonable to any of you? I'm thinking about my next binoculars -- and whether I want them sooner or later...

Some on this board have suggested that the price of the Noctivid may decrease a bit after the furor dies down. Does that sound reasonable to any of you? I'm thinking about my next binoculars -- and whether I want them sooner or later...

Do you have any experience with Leica binoculars ? If so, I would not
be in a hurry.

Jerry

Lee,

C'mon, who told you I was crossed eyed?? Yes, the superior "green" tint would give more definition to the forest, however I'm a "center-focus" advocate, thus the Grolsh optic dual focus would be too cumbersome for birding! :D :king:

Ted

Thats true Ted but these babies look like 7x to me and would be ideal for use on your 40ft yacht in the Bahamas.

Lee

Thats true Ted but these babies look like 7x to me and would be ideal for use on your 40ft yacht in the Bahamas.

Lee

You mean that 65ft Bertrum in Barbadios...had to sell it to retire and buy all of these binoculars!!! :-O ;)

Back to the Leicas at hand...

Ted

Yep. Go out and buy that Ultravid HD, the price has finally come down.
:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back