• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2017 List Going? (3 Viewers)

Some more from South Africa in September

518 African Wattled Lapwing L
519 Melodious Lark L
520 Botha's Lark L

521 Desert Cisticola
522 Curlew Sandpiper
523 Long Crested Eagle L
524 Lesser Swamp Warbler L

Last edited:
I am away for a few days at Spurn. So far I have added two new year birds plus seen my second Arctic Warbler in three weeks.

New birds so far are:

220. Red-backed Shrike
221. Little Stint

October is the best month to find rails around here. With that in mind, I put on the rubber boots and waded through a wet marshy area. I got lucky and flushed one from underfoot.

207. Sora

Dave

As I said earlier. I was at Spurn but on the Friday news of a Rock Thrush in South Wales made me think twice about staying or going for the bird. I stayed but it was obvious by the end of the day how relatively quiet the Spurn area was.

I was watching my second Rosy Starling of the year on Saturday morning. This one at Easington when I thought sod it, I'm going for the Thrush.

I stopped near Birmingham for something to eat and that hour I stopped made me miss the bird by ten minutes as I got to where the bird had been at 15.25 and the bird flew at 15.15. I persevered but no luck so I stayed there overnight in my Motorhome.

Thankfully after about a two hour search today the bird was re-found and I got superb, albeit distant views, of the bird.

On the way home I called by the Cannop Ponds in the Forest of Dean for the resident Mandarin duck.

222. Rock Thrush
223. Mandarin Duck

The weekend before last, I was down on Öland for work. I also managed to get a bit of birding done and added some good birds to my year list.

306. Rough-legged Buzzard
307. Eurasian Rock Pipit
308. Black-throated Diver
309. Little Gull
310. Greater Scaup
311. Caspian Gull
312. Ferruginous Duck

Nice birds. Being so far inland I am missing a lot of gulls and only had two terns. Missing Caspian. I'll just have to bundle up in expensive gloves and winter coat in November for the biggest lake nearby. Also a few ducks missing and did not bother with scoters as it is an inconvenient small lake with houses all around.

Short trip to Paris, only saw one new bird for the year. But on my birthday, so that's something.

4 October

Jardin des Tuileries, Paris, France
169. Gray Wagtail

Latest Lifer: 597 : Lesser Yellowlegs (Lighthouse Cove, Fenwick Island, Delaware, USA; September 2017)

Still more coming from my South Africa trip

525 Bokmakierie
526 Mountain Wagtail L
527 Southern Black Flycatcher

Last edited:
Two new birds this morning, so I’m now up to 209 for the year.

208. Pine Siskin
209. Brant

The Brant was a state lifer (number 268), my third of the year, as well as a Preston County lifer (number 227). Sea-loving Brants are rare away from the ocean, and are exceptionally rare in the high elevations of West Virginia.

Dave

Long overdue visit to Hughes Hollow in the McKee-Beshers Wildlife Management Area did not disappoint.

Chalked up four year birds, three of which are lifers. Lifting my life list to 600!

28 October

Hughes Hollow, McKee-Beshers, Maryland, USA
170. Sharp-shinned Hawk
171. Pileated Woodpecker
172. Blue-headed Vireo
173. Yellow-rumped Warbler

Latest Lifer: 600 : Yellow-rumped Warbler (Hughes Hollow, McKee-Beshers, Maryland, USA; October 2017)

Past couple months I've been completely absorbed in work, but finally got a chance to have a nice hike today which yielded a FOS bird, FOS reported on eBird in all of LA County! (save San Clemente Island, which is a weird migrant trap / Channel Islands Bermuda Triangle):

431. Varied Thrush

South Africa continued....

528 Yellow Canary
529 Capped Wheatear
530 Black necked Grebe
531 Karoo Prinia L
532 Bank Cormorant
533 Great White Pelican

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back