• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EXtender 2x III - Autofocus capability? (1 Viewer)

Does anyone have any idea whether the new 2x III will autofocus with (say) a 500 f4 IS? It won't with the 2x II but this link ( http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3508 ) is a bit ambiguous. It seems that the 5.6 limit still applies .... or does it?

Michael.

It depends on the body, if 1D then OK at f8, if xxD or 7D then the f5.6 restriction still applies I believe. The body drives it not the lens and tc combination. Stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

Phil

Well, that makes sense and explains this note on the link page I gave:

"With most EOS cameras, the maximum aperture of the compatible EF lens/EF extender combination must be f/5.6 or larger to support autofocus. With EOS-1 class digital SLRs, autofocus with the center focusing point is supported for compatible EF lens/EF extender combinations with maximum apertures of f/8 or larger".

So, it does beg the additional question "Why is the new 2x III double the price of the 2x II (or are pre-release prices just a vague approximation?)?

Michael.

Well, that makes sense and explains this note on the link page I gave:

"With most EOS cameras, the maximum aperture of the compatible EF lens/EF extender combination must be f/5.6 or larger to support autofocus. With EOS-1 class digital SLRs, autofocus with the center focusing point is supported for compatible EF lens/EF extender combinations with maximum apertures of f/8 or larger".

So, it does beg the additional question "Why is the new 2x III double the price of the 2x II (or are pre-release prices just a vague approximation?)?

Michael.

Better optics, af capability and build I guess. Will be buying one when price drops a bit and getting rid of my mkII. Looks like optimum performance is on the new lenses according to the article but they would say that wouldn't they! Have to say that on my 1D, 300 f2.8 and MkII combination it all works great.
Maybe will try it on a 7D which will still af.

Phil

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back