• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wootton Art 2012 (1 Viewer)

Sorry - a few perchy-things did turn up when I was on Copinsay; this lesser-throat wouldn't let any of the handful of williewarblers settle on its patch - a rendering ensued.
"Sting In The Tale; Lesser Whitethroat and Willow Warblers" - watercolour and conte, 32"x22"

(ps - just started another painting . . . . EIDERS!!!!!)

As mentioned on FB, fantastic piece Tim...

Latest watercolours are fantastic, what a wonderful piece of behavioral observation this is...

been very intriguing watching Tim flip between

- the classic watercolours where the bird emerges from the background and you don't need to be able to tell where one stops and the other starts

- the recent works where birds are worked out and outlined like the B-h Gulls just upthread, where the background is also more sampled and defined

I haven't fully thought through how this all is, but can see that the former style suits resting birds and atmosphere where all is seen as one- the latter suits action, story telling, so is actually depicting a very different thing

. . . the former style suits resting birds and atmosphere where all is seen as one- the latter suits action, story telling, so is actually depicting a very different thing
. . . very perceptive, as usual, Ed. These latter conte and watercolour pieces are stylistically derived from the Sharpies (where I would 'allow' myself the indulgence of characterisation and pattern). I replaced the harsh graphic outline of the pen with a softer (physically and visually) drawing medium - the conte pastel. The drawn lines are the bones on which the colour is draped and, occasionally combined with. The 'pure' watercolours still stand for what they are, but also lend much to these new pieces.

Oh Sxxt! That Eider is monstrously good and the warbler piece is simply awesome. Further comment would be superflous!

Russ

Thought I'd break the mould big-time with this one (;)) . . .
a group of female eiders in various stages of moult on the Warebeth coast, one bird just fresh from the water looking for the optimum position for a sit-down.
"Walking The Line" - eiders in the moult, watercolour, 27"x22"

Attachments

• walk the line (800x571).jpg
    walk the line (800x571).jpg
    328 KB · Views: 122
I think is rather magistral!..That Eider trying to decide where to sit,has all the balance and perfect attitude of the living Bird...Very inspiring ,Thank You.

Thank you very much - always appreciate the feedback.
A shortish trip out to South Ronaldsay to spy on a newly-arrived buff-breasted sandpiper on Sunday cuminated in this composition. The ringed plovers were herding across the field and flashes of contrasting monochrome indicated insect-hunting pied wags.
Conte and watercolour, 32"x22"

Attachments

• b-b sand (800x553).jpg
    b-b sand (800x553).jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 116
Thank you very much - always appreciate the feedback.
A shortish trip out to South Ronaldsay to spy on a newly-arrived buff-breasted sandpiper on Sunday cuminated in this composition. The ringed plovers were herding across the field and flashes of contrasting monochrome indicated insect-hunting pied wags.
Conte and watercolour, 32"x22"

Absolutely stunning Tim. Bustling with life, full of depth and keeps the eye moving so much, a joy to look at. What a compostion that is, a quite remarkable achievement. For me, perhaps one of your very finest pieces to date.
Apart from the pieces aesthetic beauty, it is also, from a birder's perspective, a remarkable piece of observation. This works on so many levels...

Last edited:
I've got to agree with Alan... its just stunning. I love that the contrast is high, focusing your attention on the main pair, but there is so much to look at without being "busy."

Absolutely stunning Tim. Bustling with life, full of depth and keeps the eye moving so much, a joy to look at. What a compostion that is, a quite remarkable achievement. For me, perhaps one of your very finest pieces to date.
Apart from the pieces aesthetic beauty, it is also, from a birder's perspective, a remarkable piece of observation. This works on so many levels...

A bird masterpiece if I've ever seen one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back