• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are you keeping your 7x binoculars? (1 Viewer)

I
I look at the 8 or 8.5X42 binocular to be the best all around choice.
The 42mm objective, just gives a larger, bigger, better view, and helps
you center the object you are looking at.

The 32mm, has its limitations for those with some vision issues.

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

I think you mean that the 8/8.5x42 provides a larger image than the 7x, but I am not sure what you mean by better view. The exit pupil of an 8x 42 is 5.25 mm, which is smaller than the 6 mm exit pupil of the 7x42, and with the latter it is surely is easier to "acquire" the target, just as an 8x32, at 4 mm exit pupil is a little harder to line up. Is that what you mean by "helps center the object you are looking at"?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Jerry,

I think you mean that the 8/8.5x42 provides a larger image than the 7x, but I am not sure what you mean by better view. The exit pupil of an 8x 42 is 5.25 mm, which is smaller than the 6 mm exit pupil of the 7x42, and with the latter it is surely is easier to "acquire" the target, just as an 8x32, at 4 mm exit pupil is a little harder to line up. Is that what you mean by "helps center the object you are looking at"?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Arthur:

My comparison was the advantage the 42mm objective has over the
32mm size. The larger objective helps with ease of view.

Jerry

Arthur:

My comparison was the advantage the 42mm objective has over the
32mm size. The larger objective helps with ease of view.

Jerry

I have an 8x42 Ultravid that I use for forest birding. It has a better depth of field and a brighter image than my 10x32's. But if I'd had the option, I would have probably gone with a 7x32 for that kind of birding. I like the easy to handle size and light weight of the Leica 32mm binoculars. A 7x binocular would have a larger exit pupil and a wider field of view, although the posts on this thread about roof prisms possibly limiting the field of view make me wonder. In the mini size there is no question that a 7 or even 6 power binocular would be preferable over the standard 8x option.

Despite my liking for the 7x42 FL I have also used truly dire 7x binoculars. 7x is not in itself a universal 'must have', only when it is combined with other features that help to bring out its best virtues.

One of the best features of this thread is that we will never agree, we are all different, using our binoculars for slightly different purposes and also we are all built differently.

My choice of best binoculars changes from week to week depending on my latest project and varies between many manufacturers, magnifications and constuction.

8x30 porros were my first love, but like past girlfriends, when you return to them in later life you are sometimes grateful you decided to move on and experience a much broader life experience.

To clarify, I still have, use and love my 8x30 porro Zeiss and Nikons but play the field with a whole range of others.

As to my ex girlfriends, I have no idea what happened to them. (This is strictly tongue in cheek for those who are about to label me a sexist ***) N.B. Binoculars are cheaper.

Last edited:
Despite my liking for the 7x42 FL I have also used truly dire 7x binoculars. 7x is not in itself a universal 'must have', only when it is combined with other features that help to bring out its best virtues.

One of the best features of this thread is that we will never agree, we are all different, using our binoculars for slightly different purposes and also we are all built differently.

My choice of best binoculars changes from week to week depending on my latest project and varies between many manufacturers, magnifications and constuction.

8x30 porros were my first love, but like past girlfriends, when you return to them in later life you are sometimes grateful you decided to move on and experience a much broader life experience.

To clarify, I still have, use and love my 8x30 porro Zeiss and Nikons but play the field with a whole range of others.

As to my ex girlfriends, I have no idea what happened to them. (This is strictly tongue in cheek for those who are about to label me a sexist ***)

I can just see it: someday you will , by chance, come across that special one and it won't take long to know she's your one and only. She will have all of the characteristics you've been looking for and you will finally settle down, content in the knowledge that you chose well and have a life partner who understands you, supports you and still turns you on. I'm talking about binoculars of course. 8-P

Attachments

• binocular.jpg
    binocular.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Hi Annabeth,

Strangely, I was married to my late wife for many years during which time we rarely agreed on anything, other than bringing up our dogs and children. We loved each other enormously and never had a boring moment. If only I could find a pair of binoculars that could party as well as she could my life will be complete.

In the mean time I will return to my promiscuous binoculars, sound recording kit and cameras and continue to curse the pigeons that are using my cars as target practice prior to launching a full scale blitzkrieg against humankind.

I think there is some sort of moral about 7x binoculars in all this, but for the life of me, its way beyond my feeble brain....

N.B. When I start dreaming about binoculars you have my full permission to put me out of my misery!!!

Last edited:
Hi Annabeth,

Strangely, I was married to my late wife for many years during which time we rarely agreed on anything, other than bringing up our dogs and children. We loved each other enormously and never had a boring moment. If only I could find a pair of binoculars that could party as well as she could my life will be complete.

In the mean time I will return to my promiscuous binoculars, sound recording kit and cameras and continue to curse the pigeons that are using my cars as target practice prior to launching a full scale blitzkrieg against humankind.

I think there is some sort of moral about 7x binoculars in all this, but for the life of me, its way beyond my feeble brain....

N.B. When I start dreaming about binoculars you have my full permission to put me out of my misery!!!

That's a sweet story :) and, I think if a couple agrees on everything than maybe something is amiss there. Or they just got very lucky (?).

heehee...as long as you are DAY-dreaming about binoculars (like the rest of us) you're ok.

I once dreamt I had a pair of Kowa Highlanders. To my relief, on waking I found I still had a wife, and no Highlanders. I think the two are mutually exclusive (in my case anyway).

I have three bins that I use on a regular basis. Two of the three are 7x. The wider field of view coupled with the increased depth of field makes them a pure joy to use.

I realize why manufacturers aren't producing them much anymore but sometimes folks don't know what they are missing out on.

Spot on Frank :) I too prefer my 7x and 6.5x :)

The only reason I have any 8x is because the make/model/format I wanted was not available in 7x.

I use these 7x binoculars quite a bit. The two 7x50s (Nikon Prostar and Pentax PIF) are superb performers under the night sky. The Pentax PIF is the only binocular I've found that equals the legendary edge performance of the Prostar. If there is a star anywhere in the fov it is tack sharp.

The 7x42 EDG is also a great performer and with its large fov and great depth of field closely mimics the view in a porro. I find the view in the 7x42 EDG and the 8x30 EII very similar as far apparent fov, depth of focus, and of course the same pleasing warm Nikon color balance but of course the EDG offers better edge performance.

On the left are two Nikon 7x35 9.3º Wide Fields which are great optical performers. I've heard other members express opinions about this series questionable build quality and while they aren't as rugged as many of the Nikon porros I've still had no problem with either of these two which I use quite often. I also have two more of the 7x35 9.3º Wide Fields (Gold Sentinel versions) NIB which I purchased for "back up" if needed. Despite having several alpha roofs and premium modern porros I still use the 7x35 Wide Fields for birding on a regular basis.....the 7x wide angle fov is almost addictive.

Steve

Attachments

• php5Zvu3WPM.jpg
    php5Zvu3WPM.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 217
&x binoculars particularly in the 7x50 guise offer a large exit pupil making for easy viewing when all around is moving. Thats why all the good marine binoculars are 7x50.

&x binoculars particularly in the 7x50 guise offer a large exit pupil making for easy viewing when all around is moving. Thats why all the good marine binoculars are 7x50.

Would that be why I find my Hartmann Optik Polerim 7x35 to be so comfortable and easy to use? I have binoculars of superior build and renowned optics, Zeiss west etc, but I have never quite put my finger on why I just seem to find my old Polerim so comfortable, although I know that in comparisons done many years ago Hartmann did outperform some top brands in terms of light transmission..

Ben, the low magnification of 7 helps, but the exit pupil is reduced to 5 mm with the 35mm objective. a 7x50's exit pupil is a fraction over 7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back