• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SW80 ED, Basic Questions (1 Viewer)

Field flatteners are only necessary for astro work to insure that the stars around the edges are round and not slightly oval. For terrestrial use totally unnecessary.

Can be useful on shorter focal length scopes as they can produce a noticeable blurring away from the middle of the photo. You will be fine on the 600mm scope though. Some field flatterners also reduce the focal length and this can be useful if 600mm is too much. I made my own which takes the SW80ED down to around 340mm f4.25. Quite good when you want really fast shutter speeds.

Paul.

Can be useful on shorter focal length scopes as they can produce a noticeable blurring away from the middle of the photo. You will be fine on the 600mm scope though. Some field flatterners also reduce the focal length and this can be useful if 600mm is too much. I made my own which takes the SW80ED down to around 340mm f4.25. Quite good when you want really fast shutter speeds.

Paul.
I have read about this and wonder what the limit is when this really becomes noticeable and an issue. For instance I find my TLAPO 804 (480mm F/6) producing sharp images virtually to the edges of frame. If you inspect the photos carefully a slight blurring can be visible in the corners, but that does not have a real practical impact for our application area.

For instance the bee-eaters on page 66 in this thread are developed from non-cropped frames: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2959292&highlight=sri+lanka#post2959292.

Last edited:
Which scope did Fernando have that he used a field flattener on? I think he said that it was noticeable enough to want a flattener. It's probably dependent on sensor size too. It wouldn't be very noticeable at all on a small sensor but would be more noticeable as the sensor size increases.

Paul.

Yes, the same scope as I am using. The size of the sensor may play a role as you write (I use m/43, 2X crop factor).

Which scope did Fernando have that he used a field flattener on? I think he said that it was noticeable enough to want a flattener. It's probably dependent on sensor size too. It wouldn't be very noticeable at all on a small sensor but would be more noticeable as the sensor size increases.

Paul.

I used a flatener on the TL APO 804. But I don't think it's is necessary at all, there was maybe a couple of birds shots that I made with it that could be improved by using the flattener, for the rest it's useless.
That's for APS-C, because for m4/3 and smaller it a complete waste of money.

Not just the scope but photography itself, I haven't photographed anything for more than a year now.
It wasn't an easy decision as I really love bird photography, but for now at least time doesn't allow me to keep this hobby.

If anyone needs a complete scope setup I still have mine for sale ;) And a nice E-M10 to go with it :p

Not just the scope but photography itself, I haven't photographed anything for more than a year now.
It wasn't an easy decision as I really love bird photography, but for now at least time doesn't allow me to keep this hobby.

If anyone needs a complete scope setup I still have mine for sale ;) And a nice E-M10 to go with it :p

Good luck with your projects. I hope we'll see you back one day.
Best regards
Jules

That's a shame to hear Fernando. One of the best photographers to pick up a scope in my opinion.

I can go up to a year sometimes without using the scope but the bug soon returns. With me it's more about tinkering with optics than the birds and being self employed it's always hard to justify the time for my hobby. The desire is always there though and I'd spend a small fortune on ebay if I could. :)

Paul.

Does anyone know the actual image coverage of the SW80ED objective lens apart from any focal tube restriction? I'm considering a larger focus assembly if the objective offers full frame (35mm) coverage. I do enjoy the lens. Price and/or finding a friendly machinist will also determine my future plans. I am having fun with the SW but having a challenge finding a good birding site other than a local heron rookery.

As far as I know a 3", or MAYBE even a 2 1/2" focuser will give you full 35mm coverage. Only problem is fitting a SW80ED with a different focuser. Might take some doing, and might be cheaper in the long run to upgrade to something with a standard focuser mount.
My TS 90/600 triplet has a 2", and without the extension tubes it projects an image roughly 8cm in diameter at infinity, more than enough for 35mm, but with the tubes it is only about 4cm. I have tried FF on both my old SW80ED and on my triplet, and on both the corners were rounded off. I will check with my telescope expert friend and get back to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back