• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

News from Leica (1 Viewer)

As for the outgoing model not having had ED glass, I suppose you mean HD (Leicaspeak for FL?).

HD or ED or FL or EL - all that doesn't mean a thing in reality. No one can keep the manufacturers from using whatever term they want for their binoculars, even if they use the bottom of coke bottles for objectives. It's a marketing ploy, nothing else.

The only thing that counts is the optical quality, and that's something you can only judge in the field, using the bins under varying lighting conditions.

Hermann

I disagree: I thought the Trinovid was more interesting and desirable constructed and priced at a somewhat higher level, roughly comparable to the SLC. That $1k range is getting pretty busy, and I'm surprised Leica wants to be there.

But I didn't understand the old price position of the Trinovids: for a couple hundred bucks more, you were already in Ultravid range. If I was a Leica customer and had the pocket change to afford a Trinovid, I would think long and hard about spending just 20% more to buy a true alpha glass.

On the other side, while it's true that the $1k class of binoculars is becoming crowded, the better models of those aren't too far from alpha optical and mechanical quality. I have not had the pleasure of using an old Trinovid, but assuming that it also does not have alpha optics and mechanics, why wouldn't you spend 30% less for a binocular with similar characteristics?

I feel bad for Annabeth, who thought she got a bargain when she bought a demo 8x42 Trinny for $1,200. Now she could get Trinny with ED glass for $250 less than her demo. Good to see prices trending in the right direction for a change. Lesson for other sports optics makers: Keep it simple.

Brock

Hey Brock,
This is me , Beth...I just changed my username to GG a while back.

I agree...I'm very pleased Leica is offering a true mid-priced bino in their lineup.

I liked the old Trinovid I had a lot, but it got just too heavy at 290z. I eventually sold it. I prefer light binos, so I had no business going with something so heavy. I now use an 8x42 Opticron which I'm satisfied with. I also like the traditional diopter/focus of the previous Trinovid and current Ultravid, but I'm totally fine with the redesign of the new Trinivid HD...it looks nice. I'm glad the weight is down !

I wonder if the optics are the same as the now discontinued Ultravid HD? ...hence the name Trinovid HD. The previous Trinovid controlled CA in the center , but it was sometimes bad on the edges.

It will be nice if they make an 8x32 Trinovid HD.

Last edited:
HD or ED or FL or EL - all that doesn't mean a thing in reality. No one can keep the manufacturers from using whatever term they want for their binoculars, even if they use the bottom of coke bottles for objectives. It's a marketing ploy, nothing else.

The only thing that counts is the optical quality, and that's something you can only judge in the field, using the bins under varying lighting conditions.

Hermann

EL stands for Extra Light,
but it's actually the heaviest binocular among the alphas now,
that is good marketing by Swaro!

A bit like Zeiss adding ED to the Terra name,
but still having the worst CA correction of the Zeiss bins,
:-O

I wonder if the optics are the same as the now discontinued Ultravid HD? ...hence the name Trinovid HD. The previous Trinovid controlled CA in the center , but it was sometimes bad on the edges.

It will be nice if they make an 8x32 Trinovid HD.

the brand new Trinovid is also a bit shorter,
that will not help with CA-levels,

but I don't know any bin in the lower price range that have
perfect CA correction

Just wonder about the AFOV, no specs might indicate below 60°

EL stands for Extra Light,
but it's actually the heaviest binocular among the alphas now,
that is good marketing by Swaro!

A bit like Zeiss adding ED to the Terra name,
but still having the worst CA correction of the Zeiss bins,
:-O
It doesn't really matter, but I think "EL" is more likely to stand for "Ergonomic Light", as suggested here. On the Swarovski site itself, the blurb for the new EL series talks about "The crystal-clear optics provided by SWAROVISION technology and the unique ergonomic design, including the EL wrap-around grip...". The word "ergonomic" is used a number of times in their descriptions.

Anyway, as you say, they're really not light! I have the (old) EL 10x42 SV, and while more than happy with them, at 840g I do find them fairly heavy. I'd have gone for the 10x50s for the brightness and "pop factor", but weighing a fraction less than a kilo, I wouldn't want them round my neck for long.

It doesn't really matter, but I think "EL" is more likely to stand for "Ergonomic Light", as suggested here. On the Swarovski site itself, the blurb for the new EL series talks about "The crystal-clear optics provided by SWAROVISION technology and the unique ergonomic design, including the EL wrap-around grip...". The word "ergonomic" is used a number of times in their descriptions.

Anyway, as you say, they're really not light! I have the (old) EL 10x42 SV, and while more than happy with them, at 840g I do find them fairly heavy. I'd have gone for the 10x50s for the brightness and "pop factor", but weighing a fraction less than a kilo, I wouldn't want them round my neck for long.

Ok "ergonomic light" seems a bit more likely,
and I think the first EL actually where a bit lighter than the previous SLC models,

I don't mind the weight of my EL:s, it makes the view a bit more steady, actually I feel that I can hold them steadier than lighter bins. Perfect when birding.

But for general purposes and occasional use a more compact bin would be nice, but 8x32 tend to be a bit too small for me, with low eye relief etc.
The new leica trinovid seem interesting in this aspect.

Last edited:
A 25 ounce $1000.00 8x42mm Leica; manufactured in Europe, with 17mm eye relief and a fov of 372'@1000 yards is not a bad idea.

Bob

Do you guys in the States not have HD (= High Definition) TVs?

HD is the 'must have' specification for tvs and it actually does mean something in terms of extra pixels per frame ie its sharper.

Thus 'HD' is leaking out onto products other than tvs as marketing term to mean sharper or just better. Its not a type of glass like ED, and because the term is in such widespread use over here (and has been for several years) in regard to tvs I am surprised how many folks on BF think its a type of glass.

Lee

I highly doubt the old Trinovid BA/BN had ED glass. I used one for 15 years, and many $500 binos today have better optics than the Trinovid had.

Ok "ergonomic light" seems a bit more likely,
and I think the first EL actually where a bit lighter than the previous SLC models,

I don't mind the weight of my EL:s, it makes the view a bit more steady, actually I feel that I can hold them steadier than lighter bins. Perfect when birding.

But for general purposes and occasional use a more compact bin would be nice, but 8x32 tend to be a bit too small for me, with low eye relief etc.
The new leica trinovid seem interesting in this aspect.
Thanks for that, interesting stuff. You're right that weight can make it easier to hold bins steady. In addition to the Swaros, I have the Leica Ultravid 8x20. They do find a use from time to time, but while they feel practically light as a feather, they're certainly more difficult to keep steady.

Doubt I'll be in the market for new bins any time soon, but the new Trinovids sound like they'll be pretty impressive.

A 25 ounce $1000.00 8x42mm Leica; manufactured in Europe, with 17mm eye relief and a fov of 372'@1000 yards is not a bad idea.

Bob

If the new Trinovid lives up to its optical and mechanical potential, it could put some serious pressure on binocular prices. The pricing would be in direct competition with the mid tier companies like Meopta, Vortex, Minox and the high end lines of many Japanese companies, and the Zeiss Conquest line. And who would buy a Swarovski Companion when for the same price you could have the performance of a 42mm Leica? It's good to see Leica shaking up an already competitive market. It can only be good news for binocular buyers.

Do you guys in the States not have HD (= High Definition) TVs?
HD is the 'must have' specification for tvs and it actually does mean something in terms of extra pixels per frame ie its sharper.

Most TVs are now UHD (4K). The HD models are the low-end ones without critical IQ features like local dimming. Most shops barely bother displaying them any more, and I would guess they will be completely be gone by next Christmas.

The original gain from Trinovid to Ultravid was in the significantly lighter weight. It's great to see Leica fighting back, the sports optics segment seemed to have become an afterthought to its highly successful luxury camera line since the M8 came out.

trinovid vs trinovid hd ocular lenses

Attachments

• leica-trinovid-hd-0168005083B.jpg
    leica-trinovid-hd-0168005083B.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 263
  • leica-trinovid-55098580_o3.jpg
    leica-trinovid-55098580_o3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 263
It would be wonderful if they offer a 7x42 in Trinovid HD like they do for the Ultravid.
A 7x32 would be even better yet, but neither will happen. Best to hope for is an 8x32, but if
this has only 15mm ER then it may not work for me which will be another huge disappointment.
Ultravid Plus 8x32 didn't have enough ER with my eyeglasses. It's the only bino I've ever really wanted...I hate that I have to wear glasses now. Maybe I'll get lasik someday, but it's expensive
and I'm squeamish about it.

Last edited:
The new 8x42 has 17mm ER and the new 10x42 has 15mm ER.

Bob

Yes, I saw that in the specs and the 8x42 would be fine with my glasses I think, but I would like to see an 8x32 from Leica with good eye relief.
Since the UV 8x32 doesn't have enough, I'd love to see a new Trinovid HD 8x32 with enough ER. If they do produce an 8x32 I assume it would be around
15mm which may not be enough for me. I'm just griping out loud :)

Last edited:
I emailed Leica US HQ in NJ to alert them to the incorrect FOV in feet in their Specs.
All dealers are mirroring this and consumers are seeing a wide 414ft fov listed when in fact this is not the
case. I wonder if they will correct this eventually.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back