• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax or Nikon ? (help to newbuy) (1 Viewer)

Slayer

Hi All!
I'm - beginner, and I am before a choice of the 12x50 bins.
My incomes (I live in Belarus) are rather small, and I can afford a bins not more dearly 150 $ :(
After searches I have stopped on two variants:
Pentax 12x50 XCF and Nikon 12X50 CF.
Whether someone can compare these bins, and help to me to make the choice?
It is possible, if other variants about which I do not know. I shall be glad to consider and them. The matter is that I should order in Moscow, the choice there is not so rich, in comparison in other countries.

Thanks beforehand All!

I have looked through both models of bins though not necessarily in the configuration your are asking about. I assume that with the latter you are referring to the Nikon Action 12x50s? I, personally, tend to shy away from anything over 10x because of my ability to hold the image steady. Just a suggestion but, at this price point you may want to consider a lower power as the quality just isn't there at the higher magnifications to really get a satisfying image. The Nikon would get the nod from me at both 10x and 8x though.

FrankD said:
I have looked through both models of bins though not necessarily in the configuration your are asking about. I assume that with the latter you are referring to the Nikon Action 12x50s? I, personally, tend to shy away from anything over 10x because of my ability to hold the image steady. Just a suggestion but, at this price point you may want to consider a lower power as the quality just isn't there at the higher magnifications to really get a satisfying image. The Nikon would get the nod from me at both 10x and 8x though.

Thank you, Frank.
I already have Yukon 16x50, and really I think, that this magn. is too big for long supervision. I tried to look in Yukon 10x50, but it seemed to me, that the size of the image is insufficiently great. I assume to look afar, at the nature, and also to observe stars. Therefore I have thought, that 12х for me will be just right. Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to look in 12х before buying.
You speak, what Nikon 10x could have better optical qualities, than 12x? I heard about this tendency - high magn-n at inexpensive bins usually worse.
If it is the truth I should think also and of a choice of magnification now. Oh... :)

If you decide on the nikon ,Get the action extreme . They are far better than the action & they are waterproof too,Price about $160 from amazon or adorama in the USA.
Brian.

medinabrit said:
If you decide on the nikon ,Get the action extreme . They are far better than the action & they are waterproof too,Price about $160 from amazon or adorama in the USA.
Brian.

Thank, man.
There, where I can buy, the variant suggested by you costs more than 160 $ :C
See here:
http://okular.ru/index.php?232&backPID=232&tt_products=850
its russian inet-shop... cost for Nikon Action EX 12x50 CF WP is 8300 russian rubel, its 277 $ :(

I have Nikon Action EX and I wouldn't change them for Action. Action may seem cheper but in fact this is a more expensive choice because in few years you are going to change them. Either you'll find them opticaly not enough or you will damage them. EX binos are really tough - it's something for many years. Optically this is also very different class to mention longer ER, and brighter image.

I have Action EX 8x40 and in my opinion this is a perfect size for birding. If I were you I would bought 8x40 EX and some cheap and quite good russian scope for higher magnification (e.g ZRT 457 30/60x70 or ZT 15-60x66).

Brian, Adorama - It is shop on sale of optics?
If it is possible, give the link to them. But, to order, I should make payment, and I have no card for operations through the Internet. Belarus also does not enter into system PayPall and similar payment systems :(

Kmiernik, thank you for advice.
Probably, I shall think of waiting, and to collect more money, to buy Action EX. But I want the field-glass of a format 12x50, I think more to not observe of birds, and to look from high buildings and bridges at the nature and the removed objects. I tried scopes, and I think, that it is insufficiently bright for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back